Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Am I detecting a trend?

Mike2

When back to the same beach I was at yesterday, detected in the exact same area and found just about the exact same amount (dollar value) in coins, yesterday effort was $13.70 and today was $13.20. How did I miss this yesterday, it was cold and raining all day so no one would have been at the beach. Anyway, it just goes to show you never truly cover an area 100%.

MIke:beers:

Just notice I have a 1 DINAR in there so that brings me down to $11.20, does anyone know which country has

Countries that use dinar as their currency
Algeria: the Algerian dinar
Bahrain: the Bahraini dinar
Iran: the Iranian rial is divided into 100 dinars (not in use)
Iraq: the Iraqi dinar
Jordan: the Jordanian dinar
Kuwait: the Kuwaiti dinar
Libya: the Libyan dinar
Serbia: the Serbian dinar (Kosovo and Metohija uses the euro in most of the territory)
Republic of Macedonia: the Macedonian denar
Tunisia: the Tunisian dinar

Countries that previously used dinar as their currency

1978 issue of a 1000 Yugoslav dinar note.Abu Dhabi: the Abu Dhabi dinar
Bosnia and Herzegovina: the Bosnia and Herzegovina dinar
Croatia: the Croatian dinar
Republic of Serbian Krajina: the Krajina dinar
Republika Srpska: the Republika Srpska dinar
Federation of South Arabia: the South Arabian dinar
South Yemen: the South Yemeni dinar
Sudan: the Sudanese dinar
Yugoslavia: the Yugoslav dinar

Iraq, Kuwait, and Bahrain for sure, just off the top of my head

Mike,
Every post responded to your Dinar find, not the excitement or disappointment of your 2 days detecting.
Was day one poor detecting or day two good detecting.
Interesting subject!!!!! With all the help I have been given on this forum the same is happening to me, but I am changing coils going over old sites.
I have tried 3 coils in a 10 square metre area and have found pre - decimal coins on each occasion. Am I detecting poorly or is the X-Terra70's technology that advanced.
Our coil choice for this machine gives us an advantage over most detectors. AM I TOO BIAS!!!!
Time is always our enemy and work and family commitments lesson our detecting times.
Maybe on special sites we have to bite the time bullet and experiment more with coil changes.
Back to your detecting.
Same coil I would suggest. So how can you miss so many coins!!!!
Concentration, sweep speed, coil direction over ground(did you change this)(how many times have you cross-checked an area and had success!!!)
But it was still plenty of targets---well done
happy hunting
gold rat:detecting:

G'day Mike.
I just came back from holidays on the coast. I had the opportunity to test that very question. I hunted the same piece of beach frequently over a 10 day period.On the first night, I pulled up $18 with the Explorer. On the second night, I pulled up $10 or $12 with the X-Terra. By the time I hunted it with the Ace on the third night, I only found $2! The next 2 nights yielded the same result, with both the X-Terra and Explorer. I let it go for a couple of days and used the Explorer again and pulled up another $10. On the second last night, I hunted it with the Ace to only find $2. Thinking that The Ace may not have been doing so well, I immediately swapped over detectors and used the Explorer over the same part of the beach and found a 20 cent piece and 2 ten cent pieces in one spot, and a 20 cent piece in one other spot! I spoke with a local lady who comes down to the beach almost every day, and she told me that the local detectorists were all away at the moment, so I was the only person hitting this particular beach, with any regularity. There were 2 others that had hunted it once only each in that time (that I'm aware of.) The beach gets groomed every morning.
My conclusions were these. 1) Once you have hit the same piece of beach twice in quick succession, you've pretty well found most of what there is to find. 2) Those grooming machines don't seem to pick up too many coins.
I hope this throws some more light on the subject. Hopefully, those regular beach hunters can give some more insight into this.
Mick Evans.

Hi all - am new to this forum - and- a Kiwi to boot. Three weeks ago saw me in Aussy on holiday with my wife. I happened to drop into the Parramata Miners Den to mainly have a look at a few detectors and ended up by buying an X-Terra 70. My main detector up until then is/was a Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger (seems to be a bit of a trend in these Aussy visits) as I bought the Garrett in Aussy as well from the Adelaide miners den. I have done ok with the Garrett up till now but a bit of a walk around Surfers with the X-t 70 has me thinking of what I may have missed over the years!. My first few minutes and I had quite a few coins in my pocket and then not a lot happened - guess that it might have had a detector or two over it already.
The next day saw me there bright and early and I dropped on to a $2 straight away followed by a couple of ten cents and a twenty cent. Then a good strong signal and on digging I had a gold ring with its main stone a Sapphire flanked by two small diamonds - nice feeling.
We then ended up at the Sunshine coast for a couple of days where I hit on a few more coins but no more jewellery. Two days after this we were back on home ground in New Zealand. We stayed at our daughters in Christchurch for 4 days and while there I got out and about in a few parks and a couple of beaches. The coins in the picture were of my finds over the 4 days $60 in our new coins and quite a few old decimal coins.
[attachment 70600 xterracoins2.jpg]
I have found the 70 to be bloody good and easy to work. I have taken to using it in all metal treasure mode with two sound responses on. I have done this because our new coins under the dollar ones are all magnetic and can give a real good ferrous reading. If I dont use the all metal when in treasure mode it just blanks out when coming up on them. One thing I am having a bit of a problem with is bottle tops but am starting to listen a bit harder to the reading that it gives on them and find that it is a bit of a split hi/low chatter signal - this is enough of a signal to make me walk on past. I usually am in treasure mode and on locating a signal then change to coin mode to find out if it is junk or not - this is when I get the hi/low warble if it is a bottle top. I guess that it will be time spent with the unit that gives one the knowledge on what is below. With the Garrett I would darn near be digging all targets although its junk discriminator mode would sort out quite a bit of crap and save some digging.
Soooo in my eyes the XT70 looks to have been a pretty good investment - Ah yes - the batteries Brian from the Den did say they would last good - good is not the word - my first set did well into 30 hours and the second set are still in it and just down to half on the read out now!!.
Sum my thoughts up in a couple of words?? - THANKS MINELAB!. Cheers guys, Allan. www.nasebygold.co.nz
The second pic is my summer toy (^!^)
[attachment 70601 KeendredgeinmainKyeburn5.jpg]

Welcome to the forum Allan. It sounds like you're learning fast.
I only got back from the Gold Coast last night.We were at Burleigh Heads (about 15kms south of where you were). There were a number of Kiwi's staying at the units where we were. I heard that the hunting on Main beach was quite lucrative. They will be having Schoolies week there soon, which makes the hunting even more rewarding. I heard that the local detectorists aren't too friendly to interlopers though, which would be a bit sad if true.$60 in 4 days isn't too shabby either.
Thanks for the heads up on your newer coins. I've found a number of your older coins, which seem to hit in the same areas as our coins of the same value. the newer ones will present their own special challenge for you, but sounds like you are experimenting with good results. Keep up the good work.
Mick Evans.

Hello to all. I am a an Explorer owner, and live on the Central Coast NSW. In reference to Micks remarks about the Beach Cleaners and picking up coins. I have spoken to some of the cleaner drivers and had a look at thear cleaners. I don't think it is possible for these machines to hold a coin long enough to transport it to the waste bin on the machine.I have been on the beach at 4am and found numerous coins in the newly groomed sand as i walked along behind the cleaner, so if you get down to the beach and it has been cleaned , don't despair it hasn't taken your booty, and it still leaves the BLOODY BOTTLETOPS:ausflag::rage:

Thanks for the reply Mick - I did do a day at Burleigh ?Main beach? and met a guy there detecting at the same time. he was not to far from me and I could see that I was getting a bit of an eye balling :). sooo not to be a bit backward I went over and made the time of day with him. He was a bit reserved at first but when he found out that I was only there for the day he softened a bit. Seems like he does most of the beaches there on a daily basis when he can. Sets out at 5am and is home around 10-11am. He uses an Excalibur as he feels that it is best with the salt environment. We also talked at the time about the groomers and he has also talked with the drivers about coins and the driver said the only time they get them is when they end up tangled in some foil or clothing and cant get out through the mesh. They tend to get notes at times - but only if they take the time to go through the spoil. He was quite surprised when I said that my scanning the kids park there under the swings and things netted me $6. On my day at Surfers I also met a guy and his wife he said that they do the beach from time to time. He was coming here to NZ and would be staying in the Nelson area for this month. The snow is just starting to disappear from the hills behind where I live here and its getting time to run the dredge up for this coming season. We are still allowed to do a bit of dredging here in a bunch of rivers that are not sensitive to dredging. I don't get a lot of gold but it is an interest to keep my 63 year old brain active.

[attachment 70643 Taieridredging2003.jpg]

[attachment 70644 Frontendtablefull.jpg]

I hope these pics dont detract from it being on detectors. I have yet to get out and have a go at some of our local gold with the Terra - should be interesting as there was not a lot of nuggety stuff around here and gram size bits are not too frequent.
Ahhhh well back to doing a few things around here... Damn.... lawns to cut.... wood to get ready for next winter..... Beaches.... Damn....

Approaching people often seems to soften them to you, after all, being friendly is hard to resist.:thumbup:
One of the guys I meet, that was detecting, was a real estate agent, the other guy, which may have been the fellow that you met, my wife saw. He was wearing a flannelet shirt and using a canvas shoulder bag for a finds bag. I heard that he gets done at 5am (from conversation with a local lady). My wife even had a bit of a hunt this trip, for about 30 mins. She even found a couple of coins. (maybe there is hope yet!:inlove:)
Good luck with your dredging.
Mick Evans.
P.S. I won't be able to talk for a few days as the computer is off for repairs this morning.

G'day Hungry. That is a top part of the world. I used to visit my grandparents in that neck of the woods when I was growing up. I sure wouldn't mind living there.
Thanks for further info on the beach cleaners. The other bain of course, is those wretched juice lids.:rant::lol:
Thanks for dropping in.
Mick Evans.