Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

all metals

Elmy

So is everyone using all metals with all the chatter coming in with the nox ? Isn't there a pattern that anyone uses to quiet it down ?

I use park one, all metal off, and basically am using the preset disc.
Have not notched any additional segments.
Make sure what you are hearing is not EMI.
The Equinox in multi frequency is more sensitive to that than running a single frequency.

That depends on where the chatter is coming from=the ground, tiny targets, EMI or just running it too hot. The Equinox is an extremely high gain detector so it is ultra sensitive to all detectable targets.

If you are using all metal to get more depth......the Equinox is not made that way. You can reject as many target segments as you want and the Equinox will still hunt with its full transmit power so going all metal will not get more depth, it just lets you hear everything. If you are running your Nox at close to full sensitivity and it is chattering with the coil at waist level you are getting EMI interference and you need to turn down the sensitivity and do the noise reduction process. If it is chattering with the coil swinging near the ground you may have ground feedback so you need to turn down the sensitivity and do an automatic ground balance.

If you are relic hunting and want to hear iron by hunting with the horseshoe button engaged, you can hunt in Park or Field , turn down the iron volume level and maybe reject -9 and -8. You will still hear plenty of iron but you will reject most of the ground noise or any hot rocks that might be in your area unless they are coal cinders. If you are coin and jewelry hunting you can do the same thing or you can use any of the preset Park and Field modes, turn down the iron volume some and turn up the threshold tone until it is just audible. It will go silent over iron targets and if you get a good non-ferrous signal but with nulling threshold, you can hit the all metal button and check for iron. If you are coin and jewelry hunting and you don't want to hear tiny targets that are most likely bits of foil you can use any Park or Field mode, reject the iron range and up to +5 and you will knock out most ferrous targets (they may still false in the mid teens) and you won't hear as much ground noise or very small foil. Another option if you are not going for deep stuff is to just turn down the sensitivity to 15 or so and hunt in Park or Field 1 which by default will not hit so hard on tiny targets. If you are just starting out, Park 1 at sensitivity 15 to 18 is a great way to learn the Equinox.

I had the discrimination of accepted 11-12-13 and 19 up....I hit an eight inch silver signal with the etrac and checked it with the nox at these settings....Nothing....was running park 1 ...sens 22 ...volume 25...iron bias at f2-0....ground balanced ...recovery 3......nothing...hit the horseshoe button and it hit the target solid from all angles.....dug up a merc around 8 inches down.....But I couldn't swing the detector from then on without it hitting a multiple variety of sounds on each swing with the horseshoe on....hit the horseshoe button again and quiet running, but I knew it would not hit an 8 inch dime with this pattern....HELP !!!!
If a coin hits mid 20's to low 30's....why would a starting disc of 19 not detect the coin with these settings? Nothing else registered in the hole with the dime on horseshoe mode.

That is a really interesting question.
Did you try the same settings but in Park 2? Was the mercury on edge? If there was iron ground mineralization or iron nearby running that pattern may mask non-ferrous targets due to falsing iron signals. So, if you have iron nearby and it is falsing at say 14 and 24 without all of your notching the Nox may mask a non-ferrous target hitting at 24 that has a weaker return signal with your notch pattern. Even using F2=0 is still going to try to mask iron. It is my understanding that there is not an actual zero iron bias setting on the Nox. F2=0 does not mean no iron bias is happening.

Just some crazy thoughts also, if the ground was really wet and iron rich or there was some audible or silent broadband EMI from any source that hits in your notched zone and also hits in you accepted zone simultaneously the Nox may try to silence it and it would silence the dime too. Pressing the horseshoe button would remove the notching and let everything through without too much masking...............

Last edited:
When I hunt in mineralized ground or ground with plenty of man-made iron trash for deeper high conductors I do not try to cherry pick deep silver by notching out too much. I also use Park 2 or Field 2 some even though it uses higher frequency weighting. Park 2 and especially Field 2 will also hit smaller/deeper targets on edge better than Park 1. Even the manual specifically mentions Field 2 for smaller/deeper or on edge targets. I use Park 2 for gold prospecting on tiny gold nuggets but with only -9, -8 and -7 rejected so the Nox won't mask small gold hitting in the -2 to +4 range. Masking while using simultaneous multi frequencies is part of the trade-off with hitting deep targets accurately. The Equinox and Vanquish blind spot is iron masking. In order for the Equinox to process signals from multi frequencies it accepts one iron signal and two or three non-ferrous signals which makes its non-ferrous numerical target ID abilities very good but makes the iron signal processing fairly weak. Personally, I think the Etrac FBS does a better job on iron signal processing than the Equinox but the Etrac is a little weaker on small non-ferrous low conductors compared to the Equinox. There is always a trade off somewhere.

if all that was said above is true....why could a very tight pattern on an etrac ... a slow response detector... hit the dime in the first place....I will chalk this one up to operator error....even though an experienced nox user was present at the hole with me......I tried all user modes on the target and must have had the sensitivity down while trying to hit the merc....or it was down and I turned it up....operator error.....next time I will first check the settings before I check the target area...Thanks to all who responded and I think I was the problem with the setup...I will try if the situation comes up again..

The settings that have worked great for me is park 1 on 5 tones and I knock anything below 11 out. My sensitivity is about 20-22. Iron bias is at 7 all while on multi frequency. I have dug wheat pennies 9 inches deep and an indian head at 11 inches. I have dug the deepest and smallest items with this set up on mine. When I go over an area that is heavily trashy with lots of iron I will put it in all metal mode and then noise cancel and ground balance again as that can make a big difference and then I listen for the tones in-between the iron. Works great for me. I haven't played around with field at all or park 2 as I find no need to. Just my 2 cents.

Smalltowndetector , I’d think twice on deleating 10 , that’s where my 18k gold ring rang in on that .

Smalltowndetector , I’d think twice on deleating 10 , that’s where my 18k gold ring rang in on that .
I have dug 100's of tens out at my local lake park where I have found 2 gold rings already and they are always chunks of foil or a piece of can slaw. I usually run on all metal so I hear all those lower grunts. But out at the lake I dig anything that beeps. I will dig probably about 200 holes when I go there and nothing but tabs and junk. But there is gold there yet.

Elmy what was the ID # in all metal when you hit the dime was wondering if with the iron it lowered the ID below 19 there by disc it out dime and iron . sube

There was no iron in the hole...etrac was a bouncing 40 to 47....nox was 25 to 27..after I located the target and got a good solid signal....it is extremely dry dirt here...that may change things too.

Seeing the e-trac was giving a 40 to 47 I would say there was iron in the hole rust ball or hot rock or just rust flakes something was making the e-trac give those #s.(FBS IDS better with coin and iron than the nox high conductor , nox ids better in iron with low conductors )
The nox was seeing this to since the target was deep that disc you had employed was making the nox come from a null there by missing the coin.
Instead of discriminating out your unwanted #s lower your tone and pitch for those #s there by keeping the machine in all metal but without all the noise because all those #s will be very faint now but the detector will not null now .Basically your now in all metal accepting ever thing now I would bet if that had been a nickel the e-trac would of had a problem .sube

I have dug very deep nickels...in fact the deepest coin I have ever dug was a nickel...my etrac does really well on every nickle that I have ever dug.....I have friends that I hunt with that can't believe until they are elbow deep in one of my nickle holes...As I said before...I hit the merc in bone dry soil that another etrac with a 10 x 12 sef could not hit...same settings as mine,,,and then pulled out the nox and hit the balancing process and checked the hole...I figure it was on a low sensitivity setting and didn't hit it....then I handed it to a friend who runs a nox and he got it set up...hit the horseshoe all metal mode and it worked...
after the coin was out of the hole....nothing was detected more in the hole with all metals....our soil is very kind but can get hard as nails in dry conditions...my hunting buddy bent his shovel today trying to dig a coin...so it is not the best conditions right now for detecting....that and along with operator error on my part....it just wasn't set up for an 8 inch coin at the time....I ran the etrac today and pulled silver and wheats in these conditions....I just need more time with the nox. Could have been iron flakes there ..but we broke them up if there were any.

For the most part I hunt Field 1 and Field 2. Most of the time I hunt with the iron turned off. The only reason I hunt it this way is that the machine has an auditable threshold that I can hear in the background as is drops out and returns. The threshold is enough for me to know what’s going on in the ground and spare myself the grunt grunt grunt. So then ending as quieter operation. I also hunt in 5 tone but have the machine adjusted so that there are only three tones. Grunt, low tone, high tone. So with the iron shut off I have threshold and two positive tones. The times that I do engage the iron is when there’s really nothing going on in the ground and I turn it on so that if I do get near some iron I’m sure not to miss it. Then as it increases because I’m getting close to a spot of habitation I often will then shut it off. Get out there

thanks c t todd...good info...I do hunt fields with old homesteads so that will help me.

Where I hunt there are natural iron particles (magnetite) everywhere and the Nox will hit most of those if I run my sensitivity above 20. So Elmy there may not have been any visible iron in the hole or plug, but the Nox will hit hard on even millimeter sized bits of iron or tin. If those iron bits are above the deeper high conductor target they will make it harder to hear the high conductor if you are using a lot of discrimination.

In order it to clearly hit a 9" 1943 Mercury dime like I did today, I had my discrimination pattern accepting +5 through +40 and like CT Todd I almost always use a threshold tone for rejected target nulling. I could hear the merc fairly well with lots of threshold nulling all around it with it setup like that in Park 2 but when I used the horseshoe button the dime stood out even more clearly. It is always fun to find good condition silver coins.

For the most part I hunt Field 1 and Field 2. Most of the time I hunt with the iron turned off. The only reason I hunt it this way is that the machine has an auditable threshold that I can hear in the background as is drops out and returns. The threshold is enough for me to know what’s going on in the ground and spare myself the grunt grunt grunt. So then ending as quieter operation. I also hunt in 5 tone but have the machine adjusted so that there are only three tones. Grunt, low tone, high tone. So with the iron shut off I have threshold and two positive tones. The times that I do engage the iron is when there’s really nothing going on in the ground and I turn it on so that if I do get near some iron I’m sure not to miss it. Then as it increases because I’m getting close to a spot of habitation I often will then shut it off. Get out there
Same here mostly field 2 where I live works great
Mark.