Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

All Metal All The Time!!!

Clad 2 Meet U

I've had my X-terra 70 for a few months now and all I have been using is the jewelry/coin shooting modes. Just for poops and giggles I switched up to all metal mode and I'm here to tell'ya I'm never switching back!:please: I found more coins right along side of junk iron then I think I would ever wfind using the discriminating modes.

My question is... when detecting in jewelry/coin shooting modes, you will hear the threshold cut out when you run the coil across junk targets. Does this mean that the signal is cut at that very moment possibly eliminating a good target? It seems that way but I wanted to check with the experts here first.

Regards,

Greg (clad 2 meet u)

Glad to hear you are giving the all metal mode a chance! I've been detecting for over 35 years, and this is the first detector that I've owned where I actually preferred the all metal mode over a discrimination mode. I attribute that to the fast response and variable audio tones.

I know you asked for the experts to answer your question. But while we are waiting for some of them, let me take a crack at it. Short answer....YES! And that problem is called target masking. The simplest comparison between the sounds of all metal and the sounds (or lackof sound) in a Pattern mode is to think about what the detector is actually doing. When you are hunting in all metal, none of the notch segments are being rejected. It makes an audible tone for each ferrous or non-ferrous target you pass the coil over. When you switch to a Pattern mode and have some of the notch segments set to reject specific ferrous or non-ferrous targets, instead of hearing an audible tone representing that notch segment as in all metal, you get silence. I usually refer to that as a nulling effect. In your words, the threshold will cut out. Regardless of what we call it. It happens with all detectors running discrimination. As to whether or not the X-Terra will eliminate an accepted target that is adjacent to a rejected target.....possibly! Whether it does or not depends on the size of the targets, the distance between the targets, the direction you sweep over the area in relation to the location of the targets, sweep speed, target depth, coil design and size, and the skills of the operator. Even though the X-Terra resets between targets as quickly as any detector I have owned (and quicker than most), there is still the chance that the nulled audio of a rejected target will over power the tone produced by an adjacent accepted target. Again, sweep speed has a lot to do with that. Being a fast sweeper, that is one of the reasons I choose to hunt in all metal with variable tones. Some may say that the low tone of iron will still over-ride the medium high tone produced by an adjacent silver dime. But I am convinced that I am better able to hear the two tones produced by the two targets better than I am able to hear one tone being "over-ridden" by a nulling or blanking of sound. When I hear a mixed audio response, I simply resweep the area from a variety of directions, in an effort to separate the multiple targets. I will add that the 6-inch DD coil has been very impressive in target separation as well as depth. JMHO HH Randy

Digger Sure sounds like an EXPERT too me !!! I doubt that anyone can top him.
And that doesn't even take in to account he's a great guy, and helpful in many matters.
Thank you Digger "For all your help". I trust you know what I mean.

Digger how many tones are you using, in all metal? I normally run on the four as 99 tones is just to much for me:stars:.

Mike

Actually there are some serious points to this discussion. Starting with a few questions:

1. Why are you detecting? For pleasure or as a second job? If this is a second job then forget All Metal, put that sucker in Prospecting Mode and dig everything that goes beep. (Beep/Dig).

2. When you do go detecting are you always in the same frame of mind? Do you ever go when you are tired? Or do you go when you are time constrained? How about weather conditions that may effect the time you can put in, wicked hot or brutally cold? Does All Metal fit in all these circumstances?

Lastly there is something to be said for audio/mental fatigue from having to constantly listen to and interpret what you are hearing. In a high trash environment , say one target per every two inches of swing, the fatigue after a couple of hours can take it's toll. It's easy to just begin unconsciously ignoring targets brought on by fatigue.

My process is, that before I even leave for a hunt I make an assessment of:

1. My mental & physical state.
2. The weather and how much time I have.
3. Where I am going, if I know the area and conditions.
4. What will be the best machine/coil and back-ups to take?
5. How to set up the detectors? All Metal all the Time, Disc only, a combination?

So I am definitely not in the All Metal All the Time camp, I'm in the it depends on the variables camp.

HH
BarnacleBill

I like four tones best. I occassionally try the multi tone mode. But that usually don't last long!!! (Although the literature calls it 99, I think one tone representing each notch segment is more accurrate, making it 28 ). HH Randy

Again, Randy.... You da man!!! I use 4 tones when I detect and when I hear the higher tones I'll slow my sweep down and come at it at different angles to zero in on the target. I have dug coins that were right next to a pull tabs or other sorts of junk targets. I have yet to test the theory that discrimination causes missed targets in heavy trash areas. I think I'll dig me a hole, drop in a dime and a nail and see what happens.

The all metal mode is new for me so much testing is needed but in my short stint thus far it seems that it's the way to go in the trashy areas. I'm excited to get out again and give her another go! I'm still using the stock coil and still waiting on the elliptical DD to arrive. I'm contemplating getting the 6" DD in the spring as detecting in Michigan is coming to a close soon.

Thanks to all who responded...

Kindest Regards,

Greg (clad 2 meet u)

[quote BarnacleBill]Actually there are some serious points to this discussion. Starting with a few questions:

1. Why are you detecting? For pleasure or as a second job? If this is a second job then forget All Metal, put that sucker in Prospecting Mode and dig everything that goes beep. (Beep/Dig).

2. When you do go detecting are you always in the same frame of mind? Do you ever go when you are tired? Or do you go when you are time constrained? How about weather conditions that may effect the time you can put in, wicked hot or brutally cold? Does All Metal fit in all these circumstances?

Lastly there is something to be said for audio/mental fatigue from having to constantly listen to and interpret what you are hearing. In a high trash environment , say one target per every two inches of swing, the fatigue after a couple of hours can take it's toll. It's easy to just begin unconsciously ignoring targets brought on by fatigue.

My process is, that before I even leave for a hunt I make an assessment of:

1. My mental & physical state.
2. The weather and how much time I have.
3. Where I am going, if I know the area and conditions.
4. What will be the best machine/coil and back-ups to take?
5. How to set up the detectors? All Metal all the Time, Disc only, a combination?

So I am definitely not in the All Metal All the Time camp, I'm in the it depends on the variables camp.

HH
BarnacleBill[/quote]

Thanks Bill... I'm definitely not in it to get rich that's for sure. I guess my main motivation is to get enough clad to buy my next set of batteries. LOL!!! Once I have achieved that, then it's on to finding something of value that has been in the ground for numerous years. It's exhilarating to think that I may find a Morgan, a Merc or even a Wheat on my next hole. I guess that's what keeps me coming back for more.

I don't dig every signal just high tones and numerous pull tab/nickel (12) #'s. I have found some very interesting finds this year and by season's end I will post photos of my finds. Silver coins have eluded me so far but I know that I will break that barrier soon with the X-terra 70.

Regards,

Greg (clad 2 meet u)

when using all metal and that is a good thing! But like BB said, sometimes its just too much. Try this for those times when you are on signal overload, watch the meter to see what size iron is giving the most hits and notch out that zone only. Its a lot quieter that way and you won't be sacrificing "unmasking" ability to a great degree just remember to keep the sweep slow for those junky areas. Another tip that worked for me is to use 2 tones (without or without the worst iron notched out) and listen for anything different than the low tone of iron. Investigate those signals to see what range they tend to register on the meter and make the dig/no-dig decision based on the type of site. There's lots of good stuff left in iron and IMO thats a good way to find it.

Tom

In the few months I have been reading posts on this forum I have noted several times your quotes " season coming to a close "
I understand it is obviously your winter.
Could I get a few reports on you seasonal extremities that prevent you detecting, I can't imagine!!!!!
I detect all year and only wear an oilskin, jumper, or tracky top for no more than 2 months of the year in the bush (and that is only windy days)
In this winter period I would only wear a t-shirt or similar to leave home to go shopping.They say no sense no feeling.
happy hunting
gold rat

Gold Rat,

The season ends when the ground is frozen solid. Awful hard to dig in those conditions... I have heard that some people will hit the ski lodges and other areas that people tend to congregate and detect in the snow for recent drops. Now speaking for myself, I like to get out on the frozen lakes and try my hand at ice fishing (not fishing for ice...LOL!) In Michigan, we have two seasons, winter and road construction season. LOL!!! Winter is usually from mid November to mid April give or take a week or two so our season is quite short. I try to get out at least 2 times a week or more during the "digging" season and also try to juggle my family obligations and other hobbies along with working a 40hr a week job. My plate is full...burp!

Regards,

Greg (clad 2 meet u)

Greg,
I am sorry for all of you but I guess you are used to it.
Like the fishing bit I'm a keen fisher but I dont understand anything about yours.
If you get a chance one day please give me a brief explanation of ice fishing.
cheers
gold rat (peter)

n/t

I agree that for Relic Hunting I prefer to hunt in All- Metal. I sometimes Switch to Pattern #1 is in camp or sites that targets are not to deep and loaded with Iron targets, your being kinda Lazy hunter , I Call it "Cheery Picking" to find good targets faster, which is not bad thing.. But to get the Best depth, and don't miss any target the All-Metal is much better in my op ion. You must hunt slower than any patterns settings, and takes longer to cover more ground, but you can rest at night know if you hunt in All -Metal with only two tones, you pick the ground clean for any targets at any depth od trash level!!