Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ain't no Turk left around here.

pennywt

In my being reared by my grandmother and her father, at an early age it feel to me to help put meat on the table. While I nevef saw a hungry day; there were plenty of times when either the fish weren't biting or the game was scarce.
Having received my first .22 rifle at five years old, by the time I was 12, I was a pretty fair hunter. But the one thing I never hunted
was "turk.".
My grandfather would sit on the porch and talk about how he loved the taste of "wild turk.: He'd mention that it took a "real hunter" to bag one and he always ended the subject by saying "There ain't no turk left around here. They were hunted out years ago." This, of course inspired me to find and murder the last remaining turkey in the area.
This last remaining passage into the realm of being a Great Hunter, went from want to need to obsession. I just HAD to commit homicide on a turk. I read every book, listened to every yarn and even studied the turk calls at the local Western Auto store. ( Though now, I'm undecided what information I was to glean by staring at a piece of wood, through a glass counter top.
Then one summer afternoon, it happened. I was sitting on the porch whittlin and spittin, when from down in the valley I heard a turkey warble.
I told poppa what I'd heard, but he again advised me that there were no turk left and he wasn't sure if I was "hunter enough" to bag obe, even if they were some around. However, he'd sure be mighty pleased to find a fresh turk on the table come supper time. I grabbed my shotgun and ran out of the yard.
Crossing the highway, I went to ground and crawled on my belly under the barbed wire fence. The grass was tall and full of bugs and the afternoon sun cooked me in my clothes. I crossed an open field in such manner, pausing often to listen for the warble. It seemed that the turk was moving away from me, by the sound and I picked up my speed. Ignoring the sand burs, thorns and red ants that feasted on my flesh and after making a wide detour around a sleeping snake, I entered the woods. From the sound, the turk had stopped and I figured it had found some tasty seeds or something. Making like an Injun, I moved as quietly as I could through the trees and brush; until I came to a big blackberry patch. In my mind, I alrwady had Mr. Turk on the table and was hearing my grandfather bragging me up as a mighty hunter. My quickly develpoed plan was to crawl into the middle of those blackberries, then spring up with the final surprise for Mr. Turk.
So into that bush I went. The thorns ripped me, the bees stung me and the berry juice stained me. Once in the middle , I sprang to my feet, but the vines had trapped my gun and it fell to the ground.
Imagine my surprise to find our neighbor, Old Man Allen, sitting on a stump on the other side of that bush.
"Whatcha doin in that berry bush, boy," he asked.
"Thought I'd heard a turk," I answered.
"Did it sound like this?" He asked as he put the wooden call to his lips and blew into it.
"yeah."
"Shoot, boy. Ever one knows there ain't no turk left around here. They was shot out years ago."
On my way back to the house, I shot a rabbit for dinner. Poppa allowed that it was mighty fine, but it would never be turk.

our folks was high priority back then, especially around that age. I bet you also got you a mess of chigger bites too, didn't you? That's why I hated to go pick berries! Still hate to to this day!

Why don't you post a photo of you when you were a little boy this age? I have one in my mind, and would like to see if I am close!

Another great addition to your stories! I really enjoy them! :)

I use to dream of seeing Deer, Eagles, wild Turk's, Wild Swans, Hawks and Wild Buzzards, when I was a kid but there weren't any left. Been shot out for many years.

You know what? I see them quite often now days. Eveything is protected now days and I like seeing them.

Thanks for another window into your younger days.

cept, now we got so many of the durned things, they're runnin over em on the roads. Good for you to help out with the food gathering!

Dave

Daddy always said that I'd leave a lot more in the woods than I would EVER take home with me.

Thanks for sharing. <><

aj

all at least once I'm sure. At least to anyone who's ever turkey hunted much. There I was in the smack dad middle of the mountains somewhere around 1978 with my homemade sterofoam turkey decoy handpainted to look like a jake.(I did my best!)

I had climbed down a huge mountain into a valley when I heard him gobble on the next mountain over. I was already hot, but continued to climb the one I heard him gobble on. When I got to the top, I put a stick through the decoy's body, built myself a small makeshift blind, and began to yelp at him. He was below me, but was on his way gobbling all the time. Then I heard something walking in the dry leaves----CRUNCH__CRUNCH__CRUNCH....

I heard the old tom gobble again, but he was still below me and it was then that I saw the mighty hunter taking a bead on my.......DECOY! The decoy was only a few yard from me so I made the decision to stand up right then and there and wave my arms!

We had no idea that each other was anywhere around. The gobbler of course flew off down the valley and the mighty hunter that was taking aim at a not so good looking decoy slithered off the other side of the mountain with a look of embarassment on his face like no other!

Thanks for a great story!

Lil Brother:)