Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Again, my OCD got the best of me. I caved, and purchased a Fisher Impulse AQ.

Cameraniac

I've noticed that there really are not a lot of stories of hunts or videos of it's use out there on the internet. Really, if it weren't for the videos that our friend OBN put out there, there would be practically nothing, so I thank you, OBN, for that. I need more, though. You all know how it is when you're expecting a new detector. You want to see it in action via videos and such. At least that's how I am. Is there anything on the net or elsewhere that I am missing? How about you that are using the detector, are you doing well with it? How about sharing some stories of your hunts?? Feel free to do it here if you'd like to.

Anywho, I'm currently waiting on the detector to arrive. I also ordered the smaller coil and an extra battery. Now, I just need to get myself back to Florida!

If it's anything like the original Fisher Impulse it will get unbelievable depth. I use the original in the surf and I come out the water completely exhausted from digging very deep targets. After using it a day or 2 I switch to the Deus 2 or the 900 to rest. My original has the 8" coil, I can't imagine what the 10" coil would do.

Here is one hunt that was spectacular:

I mostly run all metal with it but do spend some time running discrimination set where a zinc penny just goes into low tone. That setting also makes nearly all the tent stakes go low tone.
The factory batteries are a pain. They do not last long enough for a good hunting session. Two will mostly do it, but keeping the second one dry so you can change the battery out when the first one dies and you don't want to go all the way back to the car is a pain. A good water proof container for the second battery and the battery weight add up to extra luggage that can be tiring.

There are some places where emi affects the AQ and I go with an Excal in places because of that. You won't know until you are out hunting with the AQ if the interference is going to get you or not. I have not found the frequency setting to help much with interference, but taking the sensitivity down does help and it is still deep on targets with sensitivity down to around 2 (which I have used to limit interference). In the water, I run the highest pulse delay setting to reduce how the salt water movement talks to the detector. I wish the delay would go to 20 or 25 when in the salt water.

When it gets to you, spend time learning it. I think it is a very good detector with a couple things that could be improved. Unfortunately, there does not appear to be enough of a market for Fisher to implement the improvements (that they have gotten a lot of feedback on) and get us a truly fantastic detector.

If it's anything like the original Fisher Impulse it will get unbelievable depth. I use the original in the surf and I come out the water completely exhausted from digging very deep targets. After using it a day or 2 I switch to the Deus 2 or the 900 to rest. My original has the 8" coil, I can't imagine what the 10" coil would do.
Rich, thanks for the reply. The stock detector comes with a 12” coil. The smaller coil is an 8”.

Here is one hunt that was spectacular:

I mostly run all metal with it but do spend some time running discrimination set where a zinc penny just goes into low tone. That setting also makes nearly all the tent stakes go low tone.
The factory batteries are a pain. They do not last long enough for a good hunting session. Two will mostly do it, but keeping the second one dry so you can change the battery out when the first one dies and you don't want to go all the way back to the car is a pain. A good water proof container for the second battery and the battery weight add up to extra luggage that can be tiring.

There are some places where emi affects the AQ and I go with an Excal in places because of that. You won't know until you are out hunting with the AQ if the interference is going to get you or not. I have not found the frequency setting to help much with interference, but taking the sensitivity down does help and it is still deep on targets with sensitivity down to around 2 (which I have used to limit interference). In the water, I run the highest pulse delay setting to reduce how the salt water movement talks to the detector. I wish the delay would go to 20 or 25 when in the salt water.

When it gets to you, spend time learning it. I think it is a very good detector with a couple things that could be improved. Unfortunately, there does not appear to be enough of a market for Fisher to implement the improvements (that they have gotten a lot of feedback on) and get us a truly fantastic detector.
Thanks for the reply, tvr, and for the great tips, too!

Congrats. On a great hunt!

Reactions: tvr
Big Congratulations on the New AQ! I have several video's I'll have to post, of finding gold with the AQ, and there is a FB page I'll send you the link for AQ owners. I know Clive is killing the gold with his AQ right now.

Only 2 issues I do not like about the AQ, one is the battery life and they charge way to much for the extra battery. If the parts were not so much I would make a few more batteries this winter, but parts prices have choked my desire to make anymore, other than for myself, and I just did two and it cost me over two hundred dollars for parts.

The second issue is the AQ volume will kill your ears on the shallow targets, the good is.. it is excellent on giving you details about the targets in the deeper signals. And the high volume is the reason you can hear those faint, deep targets. One reason I keep my volume full..

I'm gearing up myself for some AQ hunting soon, got a boat ramp pass to a beach I'm sure holds some deep gold. This Hot weather breaks next week I'll be going out. I;ll make sure to get in some videos..

Good Luck and any question just ask, between TVR and me we should be able to answer most.

Big Congratulations on the New AQ! I have several video's I'll have to post, of finding gold with the AQ, and there is a FB page I'll send you the link for AQ owners. I know Clive is killing the gold with his AQ right now.

Only 2 issues I do not like about the AQ, one is the battery life and they charge way to much for the extra battery. If the parts were not so much I would make a few more batteries this winter, but parts prices have choked my desire to make anymore, other than for myself, and I just did two and it cost me over two hundred dollars for parts.

The second issue is the AQ volume will kill your ears on the shallow targets, the good is.. it is excellent on giving you details about the targets in the deeper signals. And the high volume is the reason you can hear those faint, deep targets. One reason I keep my volume full..

I'm gearing up myself for some AQ hunting soon, got a boat ramp pass to a beach I'm sure holds some deep gold. This Hot weather breaks next week I'll be going out. I;ll make sure to get in some videos..

Good Luck and any question just ask, between TVR and me we should be able to answer most.
Hey, thanks for the reply, Joe. I appreciate it.

My Impulse is supposed to arrive today, so I'm pretty anxious about it. Yeah, $200 for an extra battery is pretty steep, but the way I like to hunt, it was a necessity.

Oh, and thanks for the video link. I've probably watched it twenty times already.:ROFLMAO:

Best of luck hunting the new spot, and I'll be watching for your posts and videos. :thumbup:

Welcome, I learned so much about the AQ just doing testing, air and buried targets at the beach. Here is another gold ring found, not the best video but on all of these I post, turn the volume up full so you can hear some of the details of the AQ on targets. I'll post several over the next week of the past times out with the AQ as I come across them. ..

There are many videos using the Fisher Impulse and Impulse AQ, but we are not all posting on YouTube.
Obtaining the above mentioned detectors require a good deal of effort, not all past dealers have been helpful in this quest.
I use mine to my full capacity and with joy. 🥰
Also got an AQ 8" coil from a poster on this forum. (y)
:cheers:

Attachments

• Fisher_Impulse & AQ.jpg
    Fisher_Impulse & AQ.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 20
There are many videos using the Fisher Impulse and Impulse AQ, but we are not all posting on YouTube.
Obtaining the above mentioned detectors require a good deal of effort, not all past dealers have been helpful in this quest.
I use mine to my full capacity and with joy. 🥰
Also got an AQ 8" coil from a poster on this forum. (y)
:cheers:
Thanks for the posts, guys. Much appreciated!

Ozlief, I love that older Impulse. :cool:

I need to get some foam for it, but I think this Plano gun case that I had laying around, will work well for both storage and transport. :cool:

1725123360895.jpeg

I need to get some foam for it, but I think this Plano gun case that I had laying around, will work well for both storage and transport. :cool:

View attachment 61063

If you are using it in the water, tie the cable straight up the shaft for at least the coil diameter before starting to wrap the cable around to take up the slack. The water movement can move the cable enough for the detector to hit on the cable. Not so much an issue when the cable is run straight up the shaft for a ways.

Here is the part of the shaft (circled) to run the cable straight up the shaft rather than coiled around:

1725123360895.jpeg

Here is how my Impulse AQ cable is routed and tied.

AQcableRouting.jpg

Last edited: