Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Advice on shovels

cavinkeven

I've had trouble digging deep holes with my lesche digger, once I get about 4 inches deep or so, its hard to get the dirt out of the hole. Today I took a small shovel about 2 feet long and it made it alot easier. But I need some advice on what kind of small, easy to carry along shovel that will hold up. What do you use? The lesche is great for shallow holes, but I need a good high quality small shovel. I was thinking about getting one of the army shovels from the army surplus store but I like the shovels with the handle on the end, makes it alot easier to carry with one hand. Any advice? is it worth paying the high dollar for one of the larger lesche shovels or another brand? Thanks for any advice!!!!

I've been looking on-line at the little Fiskars shovel. Guaranteed for life,small and light. www.fiskars.com They also have a nice digging knife.

I love my Lesche, but not to dig the types of targets you describe. It's great for real shallow targets, in the woods and gravel. I use the type of digger (available from Garrett)as shown for digging deep targets in grass and retrieving them with ease. Usually, you get a nice formed plug out of the ground with the target still intact the first time, so you don't have to poke and prod trying to get the target out of the ground, scratching it in the process.
<center>

I've been looking at this shovel for major digging. Short handle and sturdy.
http://www.fiskars.com/US/Garden/Product+Detail?contentId=85582

I buy most of my shovels, diggers, etc at home depot, etc.
But actually, I don't use a digger or shovel unless
I have no choice. I use the coin probe most all the time.
I only whip out a digger if something is big, or I've
gotta go deep to find something. I have a regular garden
type digger, but I've also got a short narrow blade
shovel with a wood handle about 2 feet long. It's good
for going deep and keeping fairly straight walls.
But most of the time, I just flip the object up with the
coin probe. Less likely to damage what I'm digging, and
quicker as long as you quickly find the object.
The probe also does much less lawn damage unless you are
real careful with the diggers and pull up replacable
plugs of grass.
MK

Go to www.southern-treasures.com. They have a lesche shovel that is 26" long, wt. 2 1/2 lbs. with a "T" handle. It is all steel with a 7 1/2"x6" blade. Price $34.99. My TH buddies and I use them and love them. There is no bend to them and they are easy to carry. lol

I've been looking at the predator and lesche shovels, they look awesome and very well built. I can't find a website for lesche though. Found some on ebay and wish I could find a site for them so I can see exactly what all they offer. The predator mauler looks like what I need, just wish they had it in the d shaped handle insted of the T handle. So far I've had to dig in alot of roots and some rock. I definately need something strong thats gonna last.

sorry about the garbled website address. Just got Hughes.net broadband and am having a lot of trouble with it. the site address is southerntreasures.com. hope it comes out right this time.

If you have a Target department store nearby, you can get that same digging knife. You can see it before buying it. I got mine there for less than $10, but I guess that depends on what part of the country you live in.

Has a web site called Predator Tools. www.predatortools.com

I like the little eagle, same design but shorter than the mauler, and lighter by about 10 ounces.

Good luck.

yeah I saw that site, the only thing with the little eagle is the blade is narrower and not as long. Thats why I think I like the mauler a little better. They also make their own lesche brand name diggers and shovels, I found them on ebay, and they are different. But they don't seem to have their on lesche website. Oh well, guess I'll just have to get a predator, unless I find something else that looks as good. I like the one lesche shovel I saw on ebay because it has a footgrip thing that you can swap from side to side for your foot. This is a great feature I think. The blade on it just isn't wide enough.