Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Advice needed.

chowbox

Hi all!

First post here but I have been lurking for a while. I need some advice on the purchase of a Tesoro Tejon. I have been using a Garrett Gti2500 for some time now and I just can't take the weight the machine any longer. I have noticed that
my hunts keep getting shorter and shorter and my swinging has become irratic due to fatigue. I was considering the the Tejon but I am a fearful of the whole manual ground balance thing. I have read the instructions over and over and I am still afraid to pull the trigger on the Tejon. I am hoping you guys can talk me into pulling the trigger. I have done alot of research on Tesoro and the Tejon seems like a good machine for me. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Scott

Scott welcome to the forum.:cheers: Ground balancing is a piece of cake. Nothing to it. You'll like the Tejon a lot. Another good bet is the Vaquero.

tabman

It's really easy and nothing to worry about . There are instructions in the manual and plenty of videos on it on you tube . Enjoy your Tejon . Consider getting a 5.75 coil for it also , we are talking real light here .

Ground balancing isn't a problem, the biggest thing is going from target ID to a beep and dig!
The Tejon is really an easy machine to swing, its very slow sweep speed.
Ground balance is a snap.

Mark

Awesome..Thanks for the input guys. What 5.75 coil would you recommend? I read somewhere that there is one that helps with iron. Also how much dept will I lose with the smaller coil? I live in Blowing Rock, NC and our soil seems pretty tame.

Chowbox, check out Rons handy air test chart:

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?17,2017516,page=3

chowbox said:
Awesome..Thanks for the input guys. What 5.75 coil would you recommend? I read somewhere that there is one that helps with iron. Also how much dept will I lose with the smaller coil? I live in Blowing Rock, NC and our soil seems pretty tame.
Unlike most all other detectors I've own the Tejon doesn't seem to loose enough depth with the small coil to even tell.
The Widescan coils are supposed to do better in higher mineralized soil.
What I did for mine was to get one of the Sharpshooter coils like 5.5"x 9.5" Widescan Also, widescan is just another term for Double D "DD"

Mark

Chowbox, Ground balance is easy to learn.. If you think you dont like that. Well a question. I know your detector. I had one a very long time ago. If you dont have any trouble with your ground with to moch mineral content than you might want to look into one of the Tesoros with out groung balance.. I dont know what kind of hunting you do. That little Silver uMax is a darn good and deep little monster. Only 2.2 lbs. One 9 volt battery. It is a beep and dig. Easy to learn and easy to understand. The beep is a lot different than your GTI. Easy to learn. Try to look up reviews on the detectors you think you would like to have.. Let us know what you do. There are a lot of people on here that is more than willing to help you out. That is why we are here... KEN

I had a GTI2500. All I'm going to add is that the Tejon is a huge step up. Sure, no fancy imaging screen, but you won't miss that once you start learning the Tejon and getting great results.

Guys...

Can I pick your brains a bit about the tesoro cortes? Not much end user data out there. Seems like a nice machine on paper, am I missing something? Is there a depth issue here? How deep can they go? Again, any and all info appreciated.

THanks,

Scott

I was going to suggest the cortes or deleon..Since your use to garret's 2500...The cortes is very under estimated when it comes to depth..Hunting in worn out parks for deep old coins is one of my first choices..If tesoro would change a couple things on this machine.I would use it more often.Good on gold also...

Going to be a problem going from an ID unit to a beep and dig so expect a learning period. GTI 2500 sure is big, boxy and heavy and well the Tejon is pure lightweight. Always the option to go to a GTI1500 which is much easier to handle and a Tejon for the best of both worlds..

Just put a totally loaded Tejon with the 5x10 coil on the scales and it came in at 3lbs 3ozs. Even as light as it is I have wire tie lop attached at the base of foam hand grip for my home made sling. I am 65 years old and I wear down pretty quick, so I need all the help I can get. I have a loop attached to all my detectors and I use the sling and it helps a lot.

The sling is pretty easy to make, the one pictured is one I made up for my brother MarkCZ and that is him modeling it. He doesn't use it a lot because he is still a young buck, he will be digging it out in few years.:lol:

I had a store bought sling and it worked but it had to have a hard attachment to each machine. With this home made one it has a open hook that just hooks in the wire tie lop on the detector. So you can change detectors with no work at all, even when I bend down to dig I just slip the hook out and I am free of the detector to dig.

The Tejon is a good strong machine and from our air test results of all the coils we have they all get the same depth. I took my my tejon out to my little test garden yesterday and even before I read this thread about the fear of ground balancing. I thinking how easy it was to get the ground balance, after I found a clean spot of ground it was done in less than 30 seconds.

Ron in WV