Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Advice needed from experienced hunters

gware12

I got permission to hunt an old house with appears to be late 1800's not for sure but it is pretty old. The guy told me it has been went over a few times. I need advice on hunting tips as I am a newbie. I don't think that they got it all , no site is hunted out what I have heard. I just need to hunt a little smarter and need tips from experienced hunters

Slow tight grids.

Sweep the coil low and level. Overlap your sweeps by at least 50%. You'll have to figure out just how much trash is in the ground and adjust your disc. If you only have this one time to hunt it search out the front and back doors. Paths to the out house. Clothes lines and big trees. But if you can hunt it anytime do what Awitster says and grid it off. This doesn't mean to go set some stakes out. But in your mind grid small areas but don't skip around. Use a good method so when you come back you know where you've been. Please cover your holes with the grass side up. Good luck!

There a chance the junk could be masking good finds, double check your holes before filling them after taking the junk out...

Use the "creep and sweep" method to cover the most area. It requires some patience but you won't miss much. Stand still and sweep every inch of ground in front of you out to as far as you can reach, then stop the coil on the last pass and walk up to it and start all over again.

Bill

Every hole needs to be bouble checked as there are often more coins in or around it that were missed on the first pass. The coin on top always gets the signal and the ones belowit are invisible until the top coin is removed.

Bill

Thanks some excellent advice!! I also am thinking that I may need to dig more trash targets in hopes of uncovering a masked coin. What is your thinking on this

That's a good idea if you have the time. The more time you have the less discrimination you run. On most of my hunts I only disc out iron. Then I dig all other coin sized targets. But you dig a lot of foil and tabs too. If I only have 30 minutes to hunt I run the disc up there and cherry pick. Then next time I hunt the same place I'll lower the disc.

The way I understand it the Front yard of that time is the Back yard of ours. During that time more of the time was spent playing and conversing in the front yard. But I could be wrong, I have been wrong before , ask my wife she will tell you so.:clap: Good Luck. Also the edge of the front sidewalks if it has one.

Under old large trees nearby. As a youngster we sat outside under shade trees drinking iced tea when it was really hot.....Jack

If you have no restrictions for digging hols, (but fill them in anyways) dig ALL signals that give a solid sound in all directions.....

<center> [size=large]"HE WHO DIGS THE MOST JUNK, GETS THE BEST FINDS"[/size] ...................

I have no restrictions as digging or time at the moment so I really think I need to dig alot of targets but after awhile it is easy to start skipping targets but I guess I need to keep my goals in mind.

If I can hunt a site all I want. I will start with higher disc and go over the whole place. (coin mode) Then lower my disc each time I go back and dig more and more. This way I cherry pick the easy ones at first.

When you're checking an old home dig all taergets Surprising what you can dig up. if the driveway is unpaved then check it out also. good luck and we'll be waiting to hear your finds.

Yeah the front yard was the place back then. Don't forget to look for old outhouse pits and probe them. Many a goodie was tossed in there.

Bill

Thats a lot of good advice. Id also concentate in trashy areas . Areas with a lot of false beeping and as close to large metal like tin underpending as you can get, This is where I have some good finds at pre hunted sites. Theres usually a good 3 inch coin or too also missed in the good spots.