Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Adjusting Tones For Depth

A long know adjustment has been revealed, something that David at Dixie and others have known and understood since the Sov first came onto the market years ago.. (Range of Tones)..... Well done....Geo

How does one adjust this "Tone on the Board"? Is this adjustable on the GT?
I imagine I would anull my warranty if I opened the box?

I bought 2 different Sovereigns that someone done this too and they complained that they were not getting the depth some were saying and were putting their Sovereigns for sale. I bought them and seen right away the tones were set too high and was very hard to tell the difference in the close tones as nickle even sounded like a copper coin does without the tones turned up all the way. I did a few test and seen for me the depth increased when I set the tone like it came from the factory. Maybe it is my hearing, but do know I got plenty of depth out of each of these Sovereigns.
Now on the deep targets once you know the Sovereign the tones will be climbing and you can tell it is a very deep one, the tone will climb and not lock on to one tone as you do the Sovereign wiggle and most of these are just a slight threshold change and why the threshold is so important to begin with. These when doing the wiggle like I say you will hear them repeat and the tones trying to climb. On the new GT I have notice they will climb to the correct tones and ID on the deep ones and why I feel the new GT is more sensitive.
When it comes to the Electronics of a detector I feel the designer of the detector know more than I do and has the equipment to set it to the correct spec, so I learned not to mess with them other than try to put them back the way they were on those some feel they know more than the engineers do.

Rick

I have found that very deep non ferrous will sometimes give an iffy signal that nulls like a small piece of deep iorn,however if you work it you will get a goodish signal trying to break through,if you check this signal in all metal it will be hardly there at all,start digging!

You are only adjusting the pitch of the audio ID. Has nothing to do with how deep the detector can find anything.

A combination of the freq response of your headphones and your hearing may make the nickels stand out more with the tone jacked up, but it could just as easily go the other way for someone else.

I have the tones on my Sovs jacked a little, but not much. They are set up for a pitch that I like to hear for the top end freq.

HH

Lets clean this up, First off adjusting the Tones does not increase the Depth of the Sov. Deeper targets like a nickel will sometimes sound like Foil, thats on any Multi tone Machine I have ever used. Increasing the Tones only helps to ID by Tone more Correctly on Deep Targets. And it does work. Now it may not be for every one because every ones hearing is different to different levels of Tones. I can hear better on higher frequency's than low ones. Adjusting your tones does not effect the operation of the Sov. Only how you here the Target Response. So if you get a deep Nickel and it sounds like Foil, Increasing the Tones will bring it up a Notch and sound more Like a Nickel. And you would dig it and not walk away thinking it was a Piece of Foil.

D WES

Taking into account what you hear for how you work the detector, then it may work for you.

I think we all have certain "flat spots" in our hearing that cause us difficulty, along with certain pitch ranges that we are tuned to.

For one, I never thought nickels sounded like foil....but that's me.

HH

By adjusting the tones, do you get more tones or just move what tones the Sov. puts out up a degree or so?

So if there are 4 basic tones to the Sov. you are not saying you can get 6 or 7 tones by adjusting the tone thingy. Right?

So us Sov. newbies with untrained ears would know what to listen for. Presently I am at a loss as to what I'm supposed to be hearing for the deep ones. But then again . . . I is wun uv tham slo lurnurs :wacko: