Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Aching Arm ?

Danno

Evening all,

I used a Bounty Hunter - Tracker IV for years with no problems.

I recently bought a 705 and I am finding the 705 a tad heavy and awkward compared to the Tracker IV.

Tried all the adjustments (what little adjustments there are) and still end up with bulgeing muscles and an aching arm.

Are there any tricks to balancing and setting up a X-Terra that I am missing or perhaps I have a deformed arm and no strength ?

Cheers,

Danno :)

I went from a bounty hunter sharpshooter to a x-terra 50 then a 70and never had a propblem. I have the long shaft though. The long shaft was on my 50 and when I got the 70 I hated the shorter shft so I swopped them out. They make a straight shaft for them that make them better balanced also.

The BH Tracker IV is the touted as being the lightest weight metal detector in the market. I've not owned one, so I have to take the manufacturer's word for that. But I have used dozens and dozens of detectors and find the X-TERRA to be much better balanced than most of the other quality makes and models. The key is to get the lower rod adjusted for your height. When adjusting the rods for length, hold the detector out in front of you so the coil is about 1/2 inch above the ground with your arm fully extended. In other words, don't have it set so that you have to bend your elbow to sweep. And let the coil be directly in front of your feet when you sweep. Not extended so far that you feel like you are reaching all the time. If you allow the detector to become an extension of your arm, and sweep with a "whole arm motion", I think you will find that you can use the X-TERRA all day long without fatigue. JMHO HH Randy

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

I really noticed it after a lot of use over the weekend. I guess years with the Bounty Hunter have conditioned me to thinking 'light'. Must admit, the Tracker IV is a bit like a toy compared to the 705.

I'm going to try one of the aftermarket carbon straight shafts and see how I go.

Cheers,

Danno

One of the flaws of the X-Terra's, is their lower shafts being too long for us shorter users. I cut mine by 3 inches approx. You can buy a shorter lower shaft if you like. The reason that causes a problem, is that it puts to coil too far out in front of you, acting like a form of leverage (against you). It's important to bring the coil as close to your feet as you can that's comfortable. The only exceptions, are detectors in which, the control box is set up under the end of the upper shaft to counter balance the coil ie Whites detectors, the Sovereign etc. The second thing you can do to reduce fatigue, is to swap hands every few minutes. Even though you use one hand predominately, within a couple of hunts, you can find yourself starting to adjust to using the arm that you don't normally use. Yes it can feel strange at first, but in no time, it will become second nature.
I started out with a Tracker 4, but much prefer the X-terra over it. Better in every way. It was when I switched over, that I really went ahead in the hobby. I also use several other machines from other manufacturers, including another First Texas detector that I currently own, so my comment isn't out of brand loyalty.
Mick Evans.

Thanks Mick, I'm really impressed with the 705. It's chalk and cheese with the Tracker IV.

Yes, that's my problem. I'm only average height (5'9") and realise from your thoughts that the lower shaft is indeed too long and way out in front compared with the Bounty Hunter.

Might have to look at modifying it.

I feel pretty darn comfortable with my 705...I guess its because I went from a X30 to the X705...Only two machines I have ever owned. The carbon shafts do sound interesting though! Em

Danno said:
Thanks Mick, I'm really impressed with the 705. It's chalk and cheese with the Tracker IV.

Yes, that's my problem. I'm only average height (5'9") and realise from your thoughts that the lower shaft is indeed too long and way out in front compared with the Bounty Hunter.

Might have to look at modifying it.

Yes I am also about 5''9" and I am also thinking about cutting my stock lower shafts down about 3" or so, then redrill the spring hole.

I have a shorter Tesoro lower shaft on my round 10.5" HF DD and it is just right. Also another benefit with a shorter lower shaft is when a person pushes it all the way up then the total length of the machine is shorter for transportation.

All a person needs is a non-metallic carbon fiber or fiberglass middle straight shaft(to replace the stock metallic aluminum middle S-bend shaft). A non-metallic upper arm rest & handle shaft is not necessary because all you want is to do is keep metal away from the coil to give it more sensitivity. Has anyone tried replacing their middle shaft(to make it straight and non-metallic) but kept their stock metallic upper shaft ?? (I could try to make my own middle shaft out of carbon fiber, fiberglass, or plastic tubing but it would be without a lower lock-nut which might be a little bit of a problem but also may work.)

If I detect more that 3 days in a row with the 10.5" coil my shoulder starts to hurt. Some days I'm known to detect for 8 hours at a time so maybe that adds to it. Never noticed a problem with the stock coil or 6". I think trying to reverse the motion of the swing out at the ends to quickly is what brings on my sore shoulder.

Gday

Maybe try a light harness to take the strain off the body
Like Docs Swingy Thing ?
....low cost alternative for using heavy coils and people with arm or shoulder problems
or just swinging all day
I dont use mine often as I mostly do short hunts but it sure helps when my shoulder is playing up

T59

Dave,
I'm 5ft 6. Before you cut the lower shaft, what I did, is put the lower shaft in up to it's shortest hole and used a free hole further down as my guide to drill the spot in the lower shaft in which to locate accurately, the spring clip. If you get it wrong, then your coil will be off centre. using the hole makes it fool proof.
Mick Evans.

Hi Mick,

Had a quick look at the shaft last night.

How is the spring clip seated/fixed inside the shaft ?

Cheers,

Danno :)

It seems to be made of flat spring steel or similar. It is V shaped with those round buttons pressed into the shape. The bottom of the V is pointing out towards the open end. To get it out, push the buttons in and use some sort of hook to pull it out. I made the mistake of leaving it in there when I cut through the shaft with an angle grinder. I just caught the bottom of the V of the clip and had to buy a new one.
Mick Evans.

Thanks Mick,

So, it's pretty straightforward to remove, then re-position ?

I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Danno

For the arm fatigue you should try lifting weights a little. Do some curls with a gallon of milk or some similar everyday object (for real). When your arm is getting sore when hunting, it is because you are holding a weight and using the muscle but not actuallly cycling the muscle to get blood flow to the area. Flex your arm some when detecting, I find that it helps. Excercise is a wonderful thing, cures all kinds of ills.

If this does not help you should hunt with an Explorer or Etrak a few times, That Xterra will seem down right svelt.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

Seems my problem was I had the mid shaft bit upside down! :blush: :)

Did not realize it would go together upside down. Swinging can still cause that pain though. Its anarobic excercise. get some blood flowing and it will go away.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

I am fairly fit and active. Lift a fair bit everyday in my job. I deliver windscreens for a living and they can get quite heavy when you and a colleage lift 20+ at once as a bit of fun and save some time! :)

I think using the Tracker IV for years, I got used to a very lightweight detector.

Plus, I didn't notice I had the middle shaft (the bent bit) with the bend going the wrong way. Seems a lot more comfy to swing now.

I still think Minelab could have provided more adjustment points to save customers having to purchase an additional short shaft or cutting the thing up with a hacksaw. Easy enough to do as Digger suggested but why ?

Cheers,

Danno