Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ace 250

Small sniper coil and Propointer first. Then the 9x12 coil. The environmental cover is nice too.

Opinions will differ on the pinpointer. Some people figure that since they have $100+ tied up in one, they must be justified - so they swear by them. Other people are "Magiver types" and consider any tricky little doo-dad like a pinpointer a must have item if one is to be "properly" outfitted.

I personally dont see the "point" in shelling out $100+ for the pinpointer as a first-time accessory. They're nifty, but being yet another gadget, they tend to complicate what is at heart a basic activity.

You gotta keep track of them, of course... you'd hate to lose it after spending the money on one. You don't want to know how easy it is to leave something like a pinpointer behind when you leave a hunt site.Then you'll have to go back to look for it, all the while hoping no one has found it, etc., etc., ....

They also require you to modify your hunt regime to accomodate their use and they tend to hinder hunt efficiency. All part and parcel with the gadgety nature of the things.
I have one, and have for years, and I DO use it from time to time. But I consider them a second tier requirement.

Coils on the other hand add performance to the detector itself and can be money well spent, each and every time you swing them.

- The small coil is a great addition if you hunt in trashy areas and/or around tot lots, parks, and wherever metal structures exist. They can also help you get your coil into tight places a larger one just cannot go. You can crank the SENS with these small coils and still maintain good depth.
- The large coil is a bonus if you hunt open areas for deep items, like relics. As long as the mineralization isnt too bad, you run the SENS high and add a couple of inches of depth in fields and woods. They are not for trashy areas, though, as they "see" too many targets beneath them.

Since those two cover most of the detecting you'll do, you'd do well to have them. I'd recommend them before a pinpointer. Do get a separate lower rod for each. It makes swapping them out that much simpler.

SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER SNIPER COIL PRO-POINTER

:look: Hey John; Do you have one for your CX, if so how do you like it? How does the 250 compare to the CX in use, leaving weight aside. I have a CX and am learning to use it slowly. I use it mainly on new sights to get a feel for there age. I am a jewelry hunter and use a Vaquero most of the time. Bill in Texas

I'd decide what *you* think you need according to the areas you most often hunt.
IE: if you hunt trashy areas a lot, but rarely large open areas, I'd get the sniper coil
before the 9x12. Other way around? Get the 9x12 first..
Do you often have trouble finding small objects in the holes when digging?
Then consider a pinpointer.
I guess the point is you are in the position to know best what you really need to
hunt better. So I'd rate the various add-ons according to your needs.
If you plan to keep the 250 a good while you may eventually end up with all
of them. I did.. Mine is pretty much fully pimped out. And I do use every single
one of the extra parts.. Just depends on where I'm hunting.
I almost always use a pinpointer. To me, it saves time vs not using one as I
waste less time putzing around in the hole trying to find what I'm looking for.
Really handy if the object is real small and dirt encrusted.
I consider it $$$ well spent, but on the other hand, I tend to agree with what Dahut
says.. Not really a required tool to hunt.. But..saying that, I still prefer to use one
myself. If the one I have now broke, I would get another one.
One thing to consider.. The 9x12 coil is exactly the same as the stock coil,
only bigger. But the sniper coil is totally different, and pretty much makes the
250 act like a different machine when in the trash, or busy areas.
So if you don't have a pressing need for a deeper coil to hunt large fields,
I generally recommend getting the sniper coil first, before the 9x12.
So.. If I was considering these goodies for the way *I* usually hunt, I'd tend
to go along with John-Edmonton, and go for the sniper and the pinpointer
first. If you feel you don't need the pinpointer, I'd get both add on coils.
BTW, I also use coil covers for all my coils. Saves em from chips when
hitting rocks, etc. But the sniper doesn't really need an extra cover as it's
basically built with a cover on it. Some use em, some don't. Not required
by any means. I just like to protect my investment. All my coils still look
like new on the bottoms, and I do hunt around rocks a good bit.
Anyway, just decide what you need/want the most, and go from there.

Depends on what you want to spend. I would learn to use what you have now then later invest in the Sniper coil and the big coil then you can hunt for anything anywhere.

Bill

my #1 on the list is a good set of headphones with volume control #2 control cover #3 coil small for trash-large for sports fields or old coin hunting #4 pin pointer if hunting lots of grass or looking for old coins.

David - I always enjoy your posts and I've learned a lot from them.

Keeping in mind that you have a lot more experience than me...I'm gonna sort of disagree with you here and totally agree with the subtle post from "Garrett cover boy" John-Edmonton.

I'll agree with you that a pinpointer is not a necessity. And I wouldn't argue with you about the advantages of the extra coils, my small coil hasn't been off my Garrett for some time now and what I thought was a decent machine with the stock coil has become a masterpiece with the sniper.

But I definitely do see the point in getting a pinpointer, specifically the Propointer.

I've been using it for a couple months now and I absolutely love it. It definitely saves me time and effort.

After I've pulled back the plug it's a lot easier to use the little Propointer rather than the big detector to find exactly where the target is, especially if it's not in the plug.

And on shallow coins and small targets I can just push the Propointer right on the ground to pinpoint where my target is before popping it out. Less poking in the ground before I pop.

On deep stuff I know when I'm getting close so I can gently use my brass probe instead of my shovel so I don't damage a nice coin.

I've used it a lot and I'm still on my first set of batteries. And I definitely don't baby it - I bang it and poke it around with no ill effects, it's a really rugged little booger.

I've used other pinpointers and the Propointer blows them away in performance. Including the made by Tesoro Treasure Mate that costs more. And I hate to say that because I am a big Tesoro fan.

The Garrett dealer price for the propointer seems to be $127.XX with free shipping, but somebody posted a week or two back about someone that had it for about $10 less than that. It also comes with a Garrett pouch, brass probe, plastic digger and a couple of Charles Garrett's little books which are definitely worthwhile reading for anybody, but especially for someone new or relatively new to the hobby.

As far as losing it, I wrapped a couple pieces of bright red gaffers tape around it to make it easier to see in case I leave it on the ground.

And trust me on this one, I'm definitely not a "MacGyver" type. One of my top ten worst TV shows ever...

I think one should learn the art of pinpointing first then get a pinpointer. Sorta like trying to walk before you crawl. :)

Bill

I agree with Uncle Willie, learn the art of pinpointing first then use a metal or fiberglass probe to find the target, then using a pair of duckbill pliers to make a fingersized hole you can extract the coin without digging a plug and avoid having to lay out all that cash for a pinpointer and put the money toward a different sized coil,HH Ken

Yeah pinpointers and such are nice but one should learn the machine and coil they have thoroughly then think about adding extra goodies. Doesn't do any good to buy a bunch of coils until you learn how to use the one your detector came with. Just simple logic. A pinpointer is of no use if you can't locate and pinpoint the target correctly with your coil.

Bill

Guess I'm lucky to have technology with the pinpointer,I agree having only 20 hrs. or so with my 250 I can pinpoint with it to about 2 inches,however the propointer sure does save a lot of time searching.I find myself just locating a target and pinpointing it and digging a plug then relying on the PP.

I can stab the object in place most of the time with just the machine. I still prefer to
also use a pinpointer though. Many times the object is hard to spot if it's real
small or dirty. Both the 250 and the pinpointer I use are capable of hitting on tiny
pieces of metal. IE: BB's, tiny slivers of metal.
Using the pinpointer makes finding these tiny pieces much easier. It's also handy
to be able to scan the dirt as you lift it out without having to grab the 250 and
manhandle it into position.
Also handy to tell me which side of the "hole wall" the object is on.. Sometimes
you might dig a little off kilter, and have the object off to the side slightly.
Also can be a bit to the rear if the object is real deep.
With the PP, it's fast and easy to tell which side of the hole has the goody.
Anyway, I can pinpoint with the 250 very well, but still like having a pinpointer
for the holes. It does save time in many cases.
Maybe one reason is I don't dig plugs like many do. I use the probe and erupt
the dirt method. IE: I'll target an object and stab the target with my probe.
Then I pull it back and forth, and "erupt" the dirt up into a mini earthquake.
Then I stick the probe of the pinpointer in the hole to verify I'm at the right spot.
I usually am. But the use of the PP lets me find the object without doing much further
dirt digging in most cases. Which leads to cleaner digs, and less damage
to the turf. I just stomp the "eruption" back down, and looks good as new.
Without the PP, I'm basically digging blind, and usually will have to erupt more
dirt before I find the object. Not to mention I might have to use the 250 to re-pinpoint,
which is kind of clumsy to me vs the small hand held pinpointer.
But.. To each his own in this regard. There are no rules saying everyone has to
do it the same. :wacko: Whatever works is good. :spin:

9x12 coil & coil cover, then a pinpointer then the sniper coil!!!!

Quality headphones w/volume control - 4.5 sniper coil - hand held pinpointer.
I already had headphones & pinpointers - the sniper coil was an easy one for me due to some of the trashy areas I hunt. Good coil at reasonable cost.

I do about the same for all my detectors - small coil first. If I hunted open clean areas then I would go for bigger coils - but I'm trashy and slow so small works for me.
Then quality digging tools like the Lesche trowel, ground shark shovels, probes etc.

i do have headphones for the ace i was thinking about the coil. does the sniper coil work better at pinpointing and how much depth do you lose vs the standard coil

Your Sniper can hit 6 plus inches in moderate soil, bark chips and dry sand. Partly due to being able to run your sensitivity higher since it's small. Pinpoints dead center. But the 6.5 x 9 and 9 x 12 pinpoint very accurate also.