Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ACE 250 question

Relic hunters want to go deeper but the 250 should do well..May be the best for the bucks unit on the planet and Garrett has sold a bunch..

The short answer to you question is, it does fine. Here is part of the long answer at least how I see it:

There are plenty of posts on this site where Civil War buckles and mini balls have been found with the 250. I would say the answer to your question depends more on your technique, the site you are hunting, and what your definition of a relic is. Would I show up to an organized Civil War hunt with an Ace 250? Probably not. Does this mean if I did I wouldn't find anything? Again no.

I found a post on this site where there was a group of detectorists in Alaska shooting nuggets. They were pretty much getting skunked and then serious prospector's wife goes out with her trusty Ace 250 and finds a half ounce nugget a few steps from her tent! I think if you asked how is the Ace 250 as a nugget shooter, any serious gold hunter would tell you it isn't the right machine. That day it was enough of a machine. As Uncle Willy has said more than once (I paraphrase), if you want to find a gold ring, you have to first pass your coil over a gold ring.

If you are patient, as you appear to be, someday an item you do not expect will pop out of the ground where you least expect it. My first, with my Ace 250, was a civil war mini ball at the local freshwater beach (stuck under the root of a tree.)

Chris

Yep, it's no slouch on relics. Get the 9x12 coil if you need a bit more depth.
Also lets you scan fields faster too.. I've found BB's at depth with the 250
and the 9x12, and they hit hard like coins.. I consider that sort of a relic..
So you know it's going to do ok on the bigger stuff.
It hits well on lower conductivity metals like iron, etc..
Sure, you can get a machine with more horsepower, like a 2500 or whatever,
but not for 212 bucks or whatever the 250's go for these days.
I'd say a large percentage of relics are within the depth range of the 250.
And the bigger the relic, the deeper it can find it.. IE: I wouldn't be half surprised
if it wouldn't find a large metal box at say 1.5 -2 ft or so with the 9x12..
Really big, maybe deeper. :/
MK

I have an Ace 250 and a BH Lone Star . I have a question also on the relic hunting . All laws I have read says you cant remove relics 50 years old. Being 60 myself does that mean if someone finds me in the woods with a MD they cant remove me ?