Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ACE 250 QUESTION

hole badger

Hello,I would like to know if it is possible to notch out zinc pennies with the ace 250, while still detecting memorial cents and dimes? thanks :confused:

Personally - I wouldn't recommend that. I just dug a nice silver ring that showed up on the ID as a zinc penny. You have to dig the trash to get to some treasure.

[quote bulletman]Personally - I wouldn't recommend that. I just dug a nice silver ring that showed up on the ID as a zinc penny. You have to dig the trash to get to some treasure.[/quote]

Totally agree. Depending on where you are, park, playground and such you may find a lot of zinc pennies. BUT you could also find a ring. I have some nice 925 rings that I would have never seen if I had the zincs tuned out. I believe John or Bill (both are great sources of info and entertainment) will tell you the same thing. DIG ALL TARGETS or let someone behind you find what you missed......

[quote hole badger]Hello,I would like to know if it is possible to notch out zinc pennies with the ace 250, while still detecting memorial cents and dimes? thanks :confused:[/quote]

If I had notched out zinc I would have missed a lot, like silver rings, Indian head cent, old store token, and ancient Chinese coins. Really.

Yes is the answer to your question. But why? If it is a zinc then it's one more cent towards battery money. If it's not a zinc the it could be a Indian head. That's right where they hit. If it's not an Indian head it could be a ring. Now you see that the crappy zinc notch is not so bad.

I usually notch out zincs, they are a pain in the behind.

Well heres the reasoning behind it.. About 1/3 of the zincs I dig are trashed. I dont live in a very old place. Est around the 50s. so old coins are super rare. Digging an indian head would be a very lucky hit. So if im hunting a ballpark, picnic area, play ground , ect. I would rather better my chances of digging dimes on up, than zinc pennies. I need to dig 15 zinc pennies to equal 1 dime, because 5 of those zincs will be too corroded to use. Id rather dig 10 times and have a dollar, than dig 150 times and have a dolllar. .. thanks for all of the replys,, I learned something..

Thanks for explaining your hunting a little better. We all hunt differently. This is why the notch detectors work so well. You find a target you don't want you simply reject it along with other targets with the same conductivity. The 250 can do this very quickly. I'm not going to tell you how to hunt. Heck, I don't dig it all either. I try to leave the iron in the ground and dig the rest. But this is time consuming. Depending on the site I might stick with the "beep dig" way of thinking. But some places have so much trash and I usually have so little time I reject several target ranges. It's hard to pass on a pull tab if you've dug some rings in that range. Your always thinking your leaving a ring in the ground when you reject them. X-ray vision would help here! But I can tell you that I always recover every target above iron on any sand, pebble or bark chip areas. Easy digging makes me dig more! Hunters on the coasts have it easy. Sand, ocean and BIKINI'S ! Now I'm looking out my window and thinking "oh crap, I'm in Missouri"

I notch out zinc as well but that depends on where I am at. If your out around some very old houses I'd not do that as you could well miss that indian head, but some of the places I hunt, alot of ball parks, your not going to find much by way of indian heads, if at all. They are all gone! But yes you could miss that ring. Seriously, its up to you. I usually dig everything now unless I have time constraints. Something I have found to be true is that if the target reads past 4 inches i Deffinitely dig that signal!!!! I have been very pleasantly surprised. You have an excellent machine!

Regards
Robert R

One day when my knees get so bad, I can't get down there to dig, I'm going to get a cadaver dog and train it to sniff out gold rings and coins and SET HIM LOOSE!!!! See what he can dig up!:lol:
Robert R