Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ACE 250 ON CIVIL WAR RELICS

jeffpa

I just purchased a tesoro vaquero for relic hunting but I need a backup detector. Has anyone used an ace 250 for civil war relics? If so what would a bullet or a button come up as on the screen and what about depth ect? any help would be appreciated I figure I would ask you folks because a dealer would tell you about anything for a sale. Most anyway. Thank you

I know on the beach when i find bullets the come in between pinnies and dime but in relic hunting, you want to use all metal and dig everything. You will never know what you are passing up if you don't ( old guns,coins in tins ect. )

Never used it for CW relic hunting but as was stated I would use all metal and dig everything. How does the Vaquero work for relics. I thought the Tejon was their hot relic machine.

Bill

Civil war relics are usually metal. The 250 will beep on metal so you'll be good to go. I was talking to a guy at a beach once. He asked me if the detector would pick up a gold ring. I said sure - and it has. Be then asked me if it would pick up a diamond ring? :rofl: He really said that.

:cry::cry:uncle willy Can't test the tesoro yet the snow here is butt deep and more comming tomorro. I just wanted a back up detector just in case. I was able too purchase a nice whites 6000 di pro tonight one of the blue box types with 2 coils 8 inch and a 10inch. I don't know why I ever sold the first one I had. Now they are starting to become pricey. I purchased this one for $200 he also threw in the original hip mount too. This was one of the first machines I ever owned and it can put the hurts to most of the newer machines. Since I hunt relics I may still buy an ace just for coins my kids love money unfortunatley it's always mine

I live very close to a civil war battle site, it is actually on my nephews property, which is next to my property. I bought a new Vaquero (my 3rd detector), with relic hunting in mind, as well as coin hunting too. My son has a new Garrett Ace 250 coming thursday (his 1st detector). We are hoping they will do good on the war site? After watching and reading on here about the Garrett Ace 250 and the Tesoro Vaquero, we feel we've made good choices on both of our detectors.When the weather breaks we will get out and see what we can find.We will post our good finds .
Happy and safe hunting to all !

Hey Skippy I just can't wait to check out the vaquero! I did an air test and she does very well but that doesn't really mean alot though. More snow tonight and wednesday 10-20 on top of the 20 we just got! I live here in pa I'm just a hope skip and a jump from gettysburg and antietam about 50-60 miles either way. But I hunt the retreat routes from gettysburg did very well. I talked to a fellow who has a tejon and he said he had some problems with it in virginia in hot ground. but his brother had a vaquero and had no problem and as for depth he said if the vaquero is set up correctly the depth is the same.

Jeffpa. I have dug tons of Civil war bullets with my Ace 250. They will ring up the same as a penny...Sometimes jump from penny to dime. I find most of mine at about 4-6 inches around here. I have dug some as far as 8 inches with the F75. The Ace is real fun on a Civil war site. My best advice for you is to remember the sound a penny makes...DING DING..When you swipe the coil over it. Very distinct sound. When you get a target to repeat dig it. If you only can get it from one side, dig it. Sometimes deep targets will only sound off from a one way swipe. Good luck and if you ever need anymore help feel free to PM me. I will help out as much as I can..

Thanks for the info and advice from you both. It so nice to hear that you have dug plenty of bullets with the 250.The info you provide I have noted in our tips and tricks notebook. I make note of everything everyone tells me about the ace 250 and the vaquero. This site ROCKS and you are "ALL" the greatest!!!

I am the same (Jeffpa), been doing air tests, trying to get a feel for the VAQ. I have been out in the yard and found a few new pennies, that I knew were there, but it is so wet out there. We are also snowed in here. We got another 4-5 inches last night on top of the couple still on the ground. The temp is killer @ around 10 this morning.

I am in Missouri, right between Fredericktown and Ironton. There were battles fought at both those locations as well as much battling between those locations, right through here were my property is.There has been several bullets found out here by a relative of mine several years back, so we know the goods are out here!

Here is a taste of my North West Mounted Police finds (1880's-1900) over the last two years. I had a box weighing literaly close to 100 pounds with brass/bullets.

The ACE 250 gets them alright. There's much more than just these pics. My large and small brass buttons bounced around (Gold/Bronze/one cent). I used Jewelry or all metal mode in the fields, usually Jewelry to bypass the iron..

Thats great the civil war was everywhere. We got 26 inches of snow here a few days ago and it's snowing again their calling for another 10-20! I'm 45 and I just told my wife a few weeks ago that we never get snow like we did when we were kids. I should have kept my mouth shut! lol I believe missouri was a hot bed for confederate guerilla fighters. You should be able to find some of their camps. They loved camping on farms with plenty of water for their horses if you hunt them farms hit the springs and along the crick banks. Good luck and let me know how you make out. I well be snowed in till next year! lol take care jeff

Those are some great finds stinkfoot. Thanks for sharing.

I hope to have a nice collection of goodies soon.

I love civil war relic hunting but don't get down that way much to do it. I'm up by State College so it's about a 70 mile drive to the Gettysburg area. Would love to hook up sometime and hunt a few fields . That is if the snow ever melts!

Terry

are there any areas in Gettysburg that can be hunted??

Im over by Pittsburgh but that woudl be a nice weekend
trip

Ron

There are some but I found more on the retreat routes 25 miles from gettysburg. gettysburg is a real hard place to hunt because getting permission is almost impossible. alot of the big money folks have the good spots. Be prepaired to have doors slammed in your face! I posted some picks yesterday of some finds I found over the years on the relic and bottle forum yesterday. I'm surprised you haven't tried to hunt some of braddocks trail I was reading up on that last night and there should be some good stuff on that trail. It ran a good ways it was a french and indian war trail. There are so many places to hunt down here it's not funny it's just getting the permission. I have a spot that has been closed for almost 15 years and there's nice stuff there I just got a tesoro vaquero because the items are really deep in dirt piles. I have a place in antietam it;s been hunted hard. But there's a place you may try. There's a few farms outside of town that you can hunt. But like any relic hunt if you hunt hard you well find something. I have a new york camp down here and I well post the finds this week. It;s been hunted hard but I always find some things. When I go out on a hunt it's 10 or more hours at a time I even put down the sleeping bag a few times. lol Here are some pics of the camp finds. The bullets on top in the photo I found 2 years ago I was setting in the woods got up and couldn't find my car keys I figured they fell out when I sat down. so taking my detector I ran it over the ground and the guage moved on my detector but no sound but it read good. In the mean time my buddy came over and I told him about my keys he said these keys! I forgot I gave them to him to hold. anyway I dug the hole and found a bullet. I started to fill it in when he said you better run your detector over it again and I did and before I knew it we pulled something like 30 rounds out of that hole I gave him half the goodies because if not for him I would have never found the rest. Take care and good luck jeff

Unfortunately, out here in New Mexico, there is but one civil war battle site, and it is off limits to any metal detecting. So, the chances of finding mini balls are slim at best. However, we do have the city parks.

Perhaps I should include a photo of some of the ammo I've found. From just the bullets themselves (22, 9 mm, 30, 38, 45, etc.), to loaded cartridges. I found an apparent dud 30-30 this last week with a firing pin indent in the primer. Last summer, I found a 45 bullet with a bone fragment stuck to the end of it! This is one reason I only hunt during full daylight!

Alan Applegate

I'll stay up this way! lol daylight! Not in a million years I wouldn't go relic hunting down there for davy crocketts lost musket. lol YOU DON'T FIND BULLETS DOWN THERE THEY FIND YOU! LOL It's like a shooting gallery down there. You may find some mexican war camps around there though. But I wish you luck and as spock once said LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!

That is a good question. I bought a detector off a guy down there that sales them but he was tight lipped about any hunting spots. I did get the ok from a campground I stayed at but didn't do much there. Also had a place back in the early 90's where I was able to hunt and had a great time but the old fellow must have died. His wife said her daughter got a detector and didn't want anyone to hunt there anymore. Haven' really checked around because I think people down there are sick of being bugged about it,