Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ACE 250 - Is it a coin or is it a nail

radiant777

Hello,

I'm a newbie to the metal detecting world and a new owner of a ACE 250. I've been practicing with the detector in the all metal mode for the past week. Been just practicing in the back yard so far. Finding alot of nails, foil and other metal junk. I did manage to find a penny though but I have run across an issue every now and then when I have detected an object. I pass the detector over the object to the left and the display states that it is a nail and when I pass over it to the right it reads as a coin. Back and forth getting two different readings. I dig and there is no coin. Mainly junk I find. Is this because the make up of the metal is very similar to eachother?

Gary

That would be a sign of junk (good target only one way) but sometimes you can get fooled. A coin lying slightly off vertical will give you the same effect. If you aren`t quite sure, dig it anyways, as it costs you nothing. :)

To begin with - forget what it says in the manual. Start out your learning curve in coins mode and stay away from all metal for a long time. Set your sensitivity at four bars and leave it there. Learn your detector in this mode, you'll be much happier, and you'l find a lot more goodies.

Bill

Uncle Willy said:
To begin with - forget what it says in the manual. Start out your learning curve in coins mode and stay away from all metal for a long time. Set your sensitivity at four bars and leave it there. Learn your detector in this mode, you'll be much happier, and you'l find a lot more goodies.

Bill

I agree 100%!!!:detecting:

Welcome to the forum! This is a wonderful community and a great place to share info. Welcome to the hobby of metal detecting. That Ace 250 is a coin magnet! John and Uncle Willy hit the nail on the head. I couldn't agree more.:thumbup:Best of luck to you! Happy Hunting!:)

I have found that a lot of nails and junk with read iron directly over the target, but if you go off to the side it will read as a coin. Try pinpointing your target, then see what it reads right over the target.

Another thing that helps (after reducing your sensitivity a bit) is after you make your left/right passes walk around the target 1/4 of a circle and swing again.Now you are checking again 90 degree's from the previous pass (making a big "X") and see what readings you get.

Nails will bounce around because you are detecting two different conductivities
at once if it's rusted.
The low conductivity of the iron nail, and the higher conductivity of the rust.
Rust is very conductive. Much more than the original iron.
So if you pinpoint a single target and it bounces from low to high, you can make
a fairly decent bet on it being rusting iron of some kind.
Other objects like foil can bounce around a bit too, but they won't dip low
on the conductivity scale like iron will.