Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ace 250 for relics

chef50

Can anyone with a 250 tell me how you think it does when relic hunting>>...I hear its good on coins and jewels....how is it hunting relics, such as bullets and other civil war items??...Thanks, Steve in Tenn.

Very well. I dug a 50 caliber sharps bullet at 8 inches with the stock coil. If your serious then buy the 9x12 coil for a couple of extra inches. Set the machine in all metal or relic mode and run your sens as high as you can. The 250 is a metal detector. That's what your looking for "metal" It does a great job.

... its a metal detector. Relics are metal; ergo, it works fine.

I dug a nice cleaner bullet in Cola, SC last year with my Ace. Its light so you can hunt all day. Get the bigger coil for it and you'd have a decent farm field machine.
Not the best, as it has no GB and lacks a non-motion, all metal mode.

But it'll find relics - if you take it where they are.

Let me rephrase that...I mean will it hold its own against a big buck machine like a MXT or a Minelab X-Terra??..Thanks, Steve in Tenn.

chef50 said:
Let me rephrase that...I mean will it hold its own against a big buck machine like a MXT or a Minelab X-Terra??..Thanks, Steve in Tenn.
If we're to be honest with ourselves, we're talking about a $200 detector. It does much for that price, by design. So let's get that straight, right off.... I have nothing against the Ace 250. I own one.
There is also a lot of hype around the little Ace. Mr. Garrett had the goal of packing as many modern features as possible into the Ace 250. In that he succeeded.
So, it is just what it is - a $200, multi-use instrument.

Against an MXT, purpose built as it is, I'd say no chance. The MXT comes from a different lineage altogether, originally that of a gold detector. It is configured to do specific things, which the Ace is not. My friend uses one and I can say this from what I know of them: there is much going on, both in terms of software and hardware, that makes it a potent relic and prospecting detector. Essentially, for relic hunting purposes, those two regimes are the same.

Now, one doesn't always need to spend the most money to get good use. For casual detecting, and even a bit beyond, the Ace does a good job.
At a good price.
But, for certain chores, within specific envelope restrictions, there is little substitute for the best purpose built tools you can afford.
You wouldn't try to drive a nail with a wheelbarrow, after all.

In the darkest relic woods, or softest of deep plowed earth, I'd consider the Ace a backup detector.

I cannot speak about the Minelabs - they are foreign made. As much as I like Aussie's, in general, I don't endorse sending our hobby dollars overseas. God knows, we send enough of our money offshore, already. You do as you choose.

Like Dave said the 250 lacks adjustable ground balance that may get you some more depth in tough soils. Plus a true all metal mode. But in moderate soils would get down 10 inches with the big coil. Even deeper on larger targets. I have never taken part in an organized relic hunt. But going on what I have seen on youtube I still see most of the finds at surface to 8 inches deep. Like I said I personally dug a Sharps bullet at 8 inches with the stock coil. I would give it a try before spending $1000 on another machine.

It is a much better MD'er than what it's price tag indicates. Yes it will find relics well. I think it is almost as good as an MXT in an ideal situation. It lacks the added features the other detectors have for when the situation isn't ideal. In high grass you will want a deeper seeking detector, because you will miss a lot of deeper targets. It can't even come close to my F-70.

Here are a few finds with my Ace.

[attachment 110100 3-13-08bulets.jpg]

[attachment 110101 5-13-08RAF.jpg]

Button is mid-1800's.
[attachment 110105 9-13-08button.jpg]

[attachment 110103 4-23-08pittsbut.jpg]

[attachment 110104 ImageBampOtag.jpg]

Its those less than ideal circumstances I worry about. But then I've always had more money, than sense :)

But I think I'll get an MXT next year, no matter what.

It's a METAL detector and relics are metal so it will work fine within its limits. The big coil might work better for you - ground coverage and depth wise.

Bill

it"s a great little detector witch can be used for relics & do a good job but the high end detectors will win on depth & ID at the end of the day.

I have the ace 250 and it's great in whatever mode you use it in. For $200 it's
still going to stand up to the more expensive machines. s good as the MXT? Probably not.
I've used an MXT from time to time (my neighbors) and the MXT is far beyound the 250 but
the Ace is still an excellent machine!
Katz

I does quite well. For most relic hunting, I'd probably use the 9x12 coil if out in open
areas. Then shrink down the closer you get to old houses, etc if the trash gets bad.
It does quite well on the lower conductivity ranges. I've dug loads of bullets, iron items,
etc. If you are using the 9x12, it will hit on larger iron objects to a pretty good depth.
Often deeper than coins due to many relics being larger than coins.
But there is another secret weapon you can use with the 250..
The pinpoint mode.
Which is putting the machine in all metal- non motion mode. That can be a
good mode to use when relic hunting, and you can use it to appx gauge the size
and shape of the objects.
Anyway, I use mine as much or more for relics as I do coins, and I don't have
any problems finding relics. Course, it might not have the sheer depth of say
the 2500 in all metal mode, but it didn't cost near as much as the 2500.
You will get a bargain for your $$$$ with the 250 when you consider the price
per inch of depth capability of some of the other machines.
A lot of the extra $$$ spent of the high end machines is imaging, extra bells and
whistles.. Which make it easier to weed trash and tell sizes, but at the end of the
day don't amount to a huge increase in depth performance. IE: 4 times the price
doesn't mean four times the depth.. :wacko:

Thanks for all the input...You guys sure know your stuff, I'll try one and see how it goes....and save all those zinc pennies for a new MXT....Happy Diggin....Steve in Tenn.

My wife has an X-Terra 50 that she really likes, but I don't think it does more than the ACE 250. I have found some Spencer bullets with the ACE in an old cornfield near my home. What they were doing there, I don't know. The ACE can't compare with my GTI 2500, but the price is a fraction of the 2500. I don't think you can go wrong with the 250.

My Ace has been awesome for relics and I found an old Railroad roadbed that had been abondoned since 1920 and collected all kinds of relics from the old R/W. I have found small fragments of bullets to 4 inches deep and whole slugs at 6 inches. Today I found a U.M.C. CO. Black Club 12 Ga shot shell base at 5 inches. I've got a list of relics a mile long that I've found with my 250. It's a great machine for sure.

I have a box with about 10-15 pounds of 1880's shell casings/three ringers and assorted artefacts that I found this summer with my 250. Find the right area and the ACE will show you were they are.