Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ACE 250 coils question

sport.pilot

Hello everyone,

I had a dealer tell me today that the coils for the Ace 250 were DD and not concentric. He said that that was why people have trouble pinpointing with it. Are they DD? They look like concentric coils to me and some of my friends. There is no reference as to if they are DD or concentric on the Garrett website. Thanks.

That dealer is confused. None of the Garrett Ace coils are DD. Now, I think maybe one of
the large aftermarket coils might be a DD, but it's not made by Garret.
I think pinpointing with the Ace 250 is a piece of cake once you get the procedure down.
I never had any trouble with that. The most important part is to keep the coil centered
until the tone drops out, if one wants to be really accurate pinpointing with it.
The side to side pattern of the coil shrinks down to almost nothing at the end of the
travel being it is a concentric coil. "The pattern matches the shape of the coil."
If one uses the "midpoint" wide pattern area to use as a centering guide, but does no
further side to side checks up to the point of tone drop, it's possible to be off a good bit.

The dealer has a screw loose and isn't very bright about detectors. The coils are concentric and Garrett has yet to put out a DD for the 250. Kellyco sells a DD for it. The reason they are harder to pinpoint with is because they are elliptical and throw an elongated signal.

Bill

The "ACE" has two ways to pinpoint a target. One for shalow ones, one for deeper ones. Here's a link to the Garrett Website To explain them:

http://www.garrett.com/hobby/hbby_ace_250_pinpointing.htm

There is also two sensitivity levels for the Pin Point feature. You get to the lessor one by pushing the Pin Point button twice rapidly. It does take some getting used to, but it does work. Incidentally, the feature IS NOT mentioned in the owners manual.

Alan Applegate

You are "DE-TUNING" the coil, a proven and effective way to also help with pinpointing. Thanks for also posting this trick! :thumbup:

sport.pilot said:
Hello everyone,

I had a dealer tell me today that the coils for the Ace 250 were DD and not concentric. He said that that was why people have trouble pinpointing with it. Are they DD? They look like concentric coils to me and some of my friends. There is no reference as to if they are DD or concentric on the Garrett website. Thanks.

Man, it sounds to me like that "dealer" needs to find another line of work, huh?:rofl:

well they both work for me:thumbup:i have both garretts coils for my ace and they both do a great job for me..:clapping::garrett::detecting:

The point where the pinpoint tone quits while slowly pulling it back from the
target. As long as a target is under the inner coil, "stock and 9x12 coils",
you will hear the tone. When pulling back, the tone quits when it's no longer
under the inner coil. So at that point you know it right in front of the inner coil.
Being as the coil is an oval, the right to left area before the tone cut off is
very narrow. So it's important to be centered correctly. So I'll pull it back to
see where the cut off is, and then slide it back forward to get the tone again
and make sure the the distance to cut off left and right is equal distance.
It will be very short at the end of the travel. If you do that, you will be very close
and can often stab the object with a probe first time. With very deep objects,
you might find the object a little bit back from more shallow objects due to the
pattern of the coil.
pinpoint.jpg

This is a puter generated pattern of the typical detector coil using antenna
modeling software. You see as the object gets deeper, the pattern gets
more narrow, and the strip of ground you "see" shrinks. This same thing
is what can cause a deep object to pinpoint farther back vs a shallow one.
But it's not anything I really worry about much. I still probe about the same spot
no matter what the depth. Once I crack the ground open, my hand held pinpointer
will tell me if I need to move back a bit to dig it up.
coilpat4.jpg

Yeah like janitorial. HA. He sure ain't too bright about detectors and I can't imagine what kind of knowledge he is passing along to ne customers. Must be running his business out of the back of a feed store. HA. I've seen a few like that.

Bill

John-Edmonton said:
You are "DE-TUNING" the coil, a proven and effective way to also help with pinpointing. Thanks for also posting this trick! :thumbup:

question... when the coil is in the de-tuned mode, is the tone a lot quieter too? My Ace has two audio levels, screeching and very quiet.

When u hear the very quiet raise the coil and PP again the target is in the 2in or less range .Just under the surface mostly.When u raise the coil depth will change and the normal sound will come back.

To go on about this..The double d is an after market coil. I have been working alot with it. I will say that is a good coil. I dont think it is heavy.I have been in parks and school yards mostly. I do have to turn down the sensitivity. I have not experienced huge depth finding (over 8 inches). They are connected. I also have not been hunting in mineralized ground. I will try the wet sandy beach soon. The standard coils are very good. I have noticed in parks that the double calls new pennies a dime if the sensitivity is too high. I found alot!