Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ace 250 advice

rever5101

I've been working this park for about 2 weeks now with my custom setting @ dimes & quarters only ( in attempts to stop digging 40 oz caps) (i hate aluminum)
i have been successfully in digging 3 pre 64' Rosie's & 2 mercs & i cant let myself believe that there is nothing but dimes in this park as far as silver goes any how is canceling out half's & dollar coins hurting my chances of getting those elusive quarters
note: I'm still new to the 250 upgraded from a 150

I only have moderate experience with the 250, but If I'm understanding your post correctly, to open your machine for dimes and quarters only, discriminating everything else, your letting lots of other targets go by which yes opens up to more junk in the process. I generally run all metal so I can hear the targets, and let my ears do the picking. If I have to discriminate, it would probably be to knock out the lower iron section. I'll go for the nickels and the jewelery in the nickel-tab range. More junk comes in with less discrimination, but more good targets does to. At certain sweep speeds, different coil heights, different angles, I listen to the audio. Display is secondary. And if a target gets my attention, I'll work it in pinpoint and from different angles to size up the target.
If your after just coins, have you tried the coin mode?
Have you worked different sensitivity settings, and don't exclude the use of the 4.5 sniper coil for trash areas. It;s actually a nice little coil that's effective and not only works well in trash, but up near fences, tot lots and such, it can get in where the stock coil can't at times. But high trash areas is my main use for the 4.5 sniper. It also gets good depth for the coil size, and pinpointing is right on.
I'm sure there are dedicated 250 users who can answer better than me - I just couldn't discriminate and open to dimes/quarters only if I'm understanding correctly. And a big welcome - hope to see more post's - HH

Don't you want silver halves too? Sizing your target in the PP mode and raising your coil a foot and still get a beep is the best indicator of large aluminum. I found 3 walking halves under two trees in one single small yard. The notches are there to be used as you see fit. But for what your wanting to do why not notch out zinc cent and below leaving all the high coins. Notching out halves and dollars only closes the door to what could be a great find! There is nothing that will get my blood pumping as a solid half hit! Plus digging one half is way better than digging 5 dimes. Then if it's silver - even better!
PS. If you notching out halves and dollars to eliminate aluminum targets - you get just as much in the quarter range also........

I never notch out the far right portion on the screen. Not only will you miss halves, but silver cutlery and jewelry. Un-notch that area immediately!
Man...you are doing great already. :)

went back today without any luck aside from 1 wheatie 46' and some clad but i did turn the half's and dollars back on still left out the penny and everything left of that ,i do use in all metal allot depending on the area I'm searching but considering that i get a migraine headache every time i dig up an aluminum beer cap ( which almost always rings penny)and that i lovingly call the area I'm searching wino park its not worth it considering the 25 beer caps to 5 penny ratio and I'm still finding the Penny's but i will take the advice all of you have given thanks very much especially raising the coil wile in pinpoint gotta try that one out thanks again

Rever,
Just consider you are clearing out the scrap as you get to the good stuff.

It all pays off!

Keep workin it systematically and you'll get it all.

Good possibility the place has not been hit before. Good for you!

You should at least run in jewelry mode.

If the scrap gets tedious, move away from the wino area for a while.