Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ACE 250 9X12 COIL QUESTIONS

kraken14

hi i have just recently bought an ace 250, and ordered a 9x12 coil for it, so while i was waiting for it to arrive i wanted some advice from ace 250 users who have the 9x12 coil and been useing it,i would like to know there experiences with it ??.
ie average depth of finds--pinpointing ability--HOW MUCH EXTRA DEPTH DOES IT HONESTLY GET-IMPROVEMENT ON STANDARD COIL.and performence at the beach [any problems with salt ect ??]
i have got the small sniper coil BUT DONT INTEND USEING IT so anyone wanting one make me an offer. LOOKING FORWARD TO ALL YOUR ANSWERS THANKS. regards ken+marg kraken14@dodo.com.au

It acts the same as the stock coil, just bigger. Pinpointing is the same as
the stock coil. In my tests, the 9x12 goes 2-3 inches deeper than the stock
coil.
Don't intend to use the sniper???? :surprised:
Huge, huge, mistake I think.. :sad:
I have all three, and the sniper might well be my favorite one to use.
But it's mainly for trashy and busy areas.
But most all detector swingers will run into those spots sooner
or later.
I'd consider trying it a while before you unload it.
Course, if you do sell it, I bet it doesn't take very long.. :|

I've got the 6.5"x9" and the 9"x12" since I bought the sports pack. I've only been hunting a few times. I tried out the 9"x12" on Tuesday for the first time - I had about 30 minutes to kill at lunch so I went to some local soccer fields. I used the 9"x12" and immediately noticed the difference in weight. Unfortunately, parents must spend their whole time at the soccer games throwing Bud Light bottle caps at their kids. I saw hundreds of them all over the field! I was wishing that I had the sniper coil. I plan on ordering one next week. Although I am a newbie, I would recommend that you hold onto your sniper coil. Sometimes even large open areas that should not be trashy end up with a good bit of trash in them. I did not see a large difference in depth, but that could be lack of experience and not the coil. With the 6.5"x9" I have gotten fairly good at pinpointing a target. I find it tougher to pinpoint with the larger coil.

Just my two cents-

George

All you have to do is put the sniper coil on. Proceed to any pebble or bark chip tot lot. Set the sensitivity at 1 bar. Set the detector in the relic mode. Detect around all metal poles and supports from the posts to about 16 inches away - real slow like. Then raise your sensitivity to 7 bars. Then slowly check the rest of the play ground. Don't even miss an inch. Make sure you overlap every sweep by at LEAST 50%. Dig ALL beeps - even choppy and one way beeps. Don't even look at the screen. You will be amazed at your coin and jewelry count! Step number 2 - Drive to the next tot lot!

DO NOT GET RID OF YOUR SNIPER coil. I repeat DO NOT DO THAT!!!
You will run into situations later where you'll need it and the little snipe won't be there!:lol:
The coil is VERY handy going in around close to foundations and getting into cracks where your full size coils can't go.
As far as the 9x12 coil goes, its debateable you really need it. It does cover more ground, thats for sure, but it's heavy, as you will soon find out.
As far a more depth, yes,... somewhat more. The sniper coil great in trashy areas as anyone here will tell you.

RR

Our world is getting too trashy. If you get more than one target under your coil the detector will go wacky. I consider the sniper my most valuable coil in a park or around old homes. On the beach or in a field would be the time I would use a larger coil. You will find less with the larger coil in trashy areas.

I'll throw in my 2 cents, which is that I agree with the other posters. I'd rather have the Sniper than the 9x12. I found that the only thing you gain with the big coil is a couple of inches depth in normal conditions. I bought it hoping that I could save time sweeping large areas like soccer fields, football fields or the like and it does cover ground faster. But I find it takes more time pinpointing with the large coil, so the time I saved swinging I spent digging. And it is significantly heavier than the stock coil, which will really wear you out in half the time the stock coil does. I have both the Sniper and the large coil as options, and the 9x12 gets the least use. But since it's bought and paid for, and there are some instances where it's a better choice than either the stock or the Sniper, I kept it.

Steve

I have the 9x12 coil, I have only used the 9x12, my stock one is still sitting in the box. I like it a lot, but I do get an awful lot of jumping signal (because its so big and a lot of times there is more than 1 target under the coil). I don't mind, I just dig the first find, then swing and try to pinpoint, find another target, then swing and so on and so on. Over the weekend I found 6 or 7 coins in an area the size of the coil. I do want to get the sniper coil though, I think you should hold onto it, Thats my next purchase (sniper coil). As for pop tabs, I actually like to find them, I save them and turn them to my local Moose Lodge. (I'm in the process of joining), Bottle caps, I just pick um up and keep going...:detecting:

Getting rid of the Sniper is a big mistake. The 9x12 performs just like the stock coil except it covers more ground and gets you an extra 2-3 inches more in depth. Even though it is big it is still sensitive to small objects. A lot of folks use it exclusively and never go back to the stock coil.

Bill

Thing is I have a sniper coil I have only used a couple of times. Every time I go to a tot lot or a trash place I leave it in the bag. Why? Cause I'm so used to just pulling out the machine with the stock coil and working it. And I even have it mounted on an extra pole and foot mount. After reading some of the posts on this thread...........Belive me I am going to start using it more. A LOT MORE..........Thanks for all the input.......

they all have their uses that they are best for and I have opportunity to use them in those ways. If you only hunt for relics in an open field by all means go for the large coil. It will be heavier and your machine won't be as well balanced. If you're a young pup in the twenties this won't bother you for a day of hunting. Large coils also help at fresh water beaches by covering more area per swing. At salt water beaches the salt will interfere with your machine and a large coil. Your is Ace is known as a VLF (very low ferquency) machine and they don't do well with salt.
If you're going to do coin hunting in a public setting such as a park or school playground the Sniper coil is a handy item in the trash or near metal playground equipment. If you decide to keep the coil be sure and get a lower rod for each coil as it makes it a quick change item.
Post up pics of your finds as me love to see them even if it's junk.
HH