Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

About to purchase. need honest & Un-Biased opinion

wichita6

Hi,
I have been using the Garrett Infinium for a year...it is deep but to much trash digging and I didn't get in the water that much.
I sold it and now need an honest opinion about which detector would be best suited for my purpose.
I am looking at either the X-Terra 70 or the Garrett GTI 2500 and I know very little about either of these.
I coin hunt after work almost every day a couple of hours. Weekends I either relic hunt all day or prospect here in the north georgia mountains.
My questions are:
1. Has anyone here used both of these detectors and if so, which would be more suited for all three of these situations?
2. If I go with the x-terra 70 detector, which coils should I get for coin, relic and very small gold in trashy areas and the same with the GTI 2500?
3. which has better trash rejection without missing to many good targets?
4. Is there any major problems with the coils for the X-terra 70? the Garrett coils seems to have problems with cable becoming loose an false triggering easily.

I don't want to make the same mistake as before with the infinium. It is a good detector but it didn't pickup small gold like I was told it would by (infinium users) on other sites and it was difficult to distinguish between coin and trash.

I know it is nearly impossible to give an un-biased opinion when you use and love a certain detector but if you can, please help me make a (hopfully) wise choice.

Thank you for your help,
wichita6

Hi wichita6,

The Garrett Infinium LS is a fairly well rounded machine and is highly regarded by many users. It's supposed to do a pretty good job with both Relics and Gold. But it is a Pulse Induction detector (PI) - which is a different type of machine to both the X-Terra 70 and the Garrett GTI 2500. The X-Terra 70 is much lighter than either of the other two detectors. The Infinium and the GTI 2500 are also slightly different in terms of operation and the 2500 is likely the be suited exclusively to coin hunters. Pulse Induction machines like your Infinium tend to have a little trouble with discrimination. The X-Terra 70 is a fairly recent detector and has a lot of advanced features onboard plus Iron Masking. Whilst it's impossible to give you an indication of which machine is best suited to your needs, I've assembled the information below which may assist you somewhat. Some people have different priorities when hunting for targets and the X-Terra enables you to change the coils to those of different frequencies. It's a little like picking up a new machine when you change the coil. The X-Terra 70 ships standard with the 7.5khz coil and possesses excellent pinpointing capabilities and is incredibly light compared to the Garrett detectors you mentioned. The X-Terra is so light that it allows the user a lot more flexibility in their detecting activities whilst being capable of handling the mineralized ground (including noisy & saline soils) with considerable ease due in part to advances in VLF technology. Detecting trash is something that all detectors will do so a good Discrimination capability is essential. The X-Terra 70 will generally indicate what the target is before extraction but any target buried at a different angle will often give various conflicting signals on any detector (eg: Coin on edge Vs Coin buried flat). The Minelab discrimination is particularly good though.

[size=small]Minelab X-Terra 70
Purpose: Coins & Jewellery + Prospecting
Type: VLF (Very Low Frequency) with VFLEX
4 x AA Batteries
Backlit Display - NO
Weight: 2.9 lbs
Frequency: Coil Based: 3khz, 7.5khz, 18.75 khz

Garrett Infinium LS
Purpose: Coins & Jewellery + Prospecting
Type: VLF (Pulse Induction)
8 x AA Batteries
Backlit Display - NO
Weight: 5.5 lbs
Frequency: N/A - Pulse Induction

Garrett GTI 2500
Type: VLF (Very Low Frequency)
Purpose: Coins & Jewellery
8 x AA Batteries
Hip Mounted Battery Pack.
Backlit Display - YES
Weight 4.6 lbs
Frequency: 7.2 khz[/size]

If you are a coin hunter (and you appear to be), any of the above machines is going to suit your needs. I suspect that the X-Terra 70 would be less prone to noise and mineralization than either of the Garretts. VLEX is supposed to be more advanced than standard VLF when it comes to detectors so the decision as to which detector you should consider might now be reduced to the X-Terra 70 and the Infinium LS.

All the best,

Marco Nero

Hi Marco Nero,
Thank you for the reply.
I know that the infinium was not the right detector for me. It was heavy and it was just too much trash digging. I had an old Whites Di years ago and dug less trash!
I know that trash is inevitable with any detector but with better discrimination I should save a few minutes here and there with the x70.
I don't mind digging to china if it does not turn out to be a pull tab...although...I could cash all that aluminum in and buy me a new car :)

The x70 I'm looking at comes with the 9" 7.5KHz and the 5x10 18.75KHz coils. Is there any other coil that I should or would want to get now that is suited for coinshooting...ie...deeper maybe?

Thanks again,
wichita6

I have owned both machines and since have sent the Garrett down the road. If you really want to prospect, the x70 is the one that can do that, not the GTI. I found the Garrett to be a tank even with the battery pack cliped to your belt. The cord on the GTI from the machine to the battery pack is the quality of a spiral phone cord. Pretty easy to break in the woods. My gti was 6 years old so I cant say for the current model. I found the Garrett to be Gimmicky. Treasure talk, imaging = useless to me. I would like just the facts which the x70 will give you. There are so many different scenarios in the ground that the Garrett will tell you a/b/c/d size target with an audible tone. The x70 will give you many numbers and a tone. When you start to learn what the numbers mean on the x70, you will be more effective in your searching. I also love the 99 tones that the x70 gives. Be aware that you might not find big fans of a Garrett in a Minelab section of a forum.

Hi there.

Ill try to be as unbiased as i can. I have tried some GTI s and a lot of other detectors.

The X-T 70 is now my primary detector.

The X-T 70 is one killer detector when you know how to use it. It is really priced too low when considering it is two complete detectors built into one with just a press on a button.

Its deep enough, sensitive as hell and pretty fast recovery speed, lightweight and sturdy.

The menus are easy and full of features you like to use, no crap shit you never use.

For coil choice I found myself using the 6" DD the most, then the 9" stock. I also have the elliptical 9 by 5 but dont use it much.

I wanted both the 7.5 DD and the 18.75 DD cause I know they are effective but will wait until minelab release them in the new SE format instead of the old type Explorer design coils. If I am dissatisfied with something that is the only thing. The SE coil design should have adopted for the terras immediately.

PS,,, rumors has it that Minelab have listened,,, SE coil design is on the way...

Hi wichita6,

It's interesting that you wrote to say you used the Infinium LS because I was just in the process of examining this detector for a backup for friends to use. I find that most detectors designed for underwater use are Pulse Induction and that in order to be neutrally buoyant, they tend to be heavy on land. The 'LS' in the Infinium LS name stands for 'Land and Sea' so it's probably a little heavier than it needs to be. The PI detectors should give fairly good depth but I find most have a hard time discriminating with targets. It would probably help to talk to more people before making a decision on which detector is best for your needs. I'd try and find out more from users of each detector as the odds are low that you'll come across someone who has used both or all three.

I bought my own X-Terra 70 with the two coils you mentioned. I later bought one of the small 6" DD coils and I have to say that there's quite a difference in signal shape and strength between these coils. The DD coils have a blade shaped field and the Concentric Coil is more Cone shaped with the point being the area projected towards the targets. If you are a coin shooter, you may not have use for the Elliptical Coil because that one is manufactured to benefit Prospectors. The Concentric and the Elliptical are designed for wide, faster sweeping. The smaller 6" coil is designed in a few different frequencies for different uses but it's misleading in that the tiny coil packs an amazing punch. It has very good depth (deeper than the Elliptical) and possesses a very narrow detection blade which is ideal for trashy areas. But the smaller coil size means it's not really the best coil for sweeping large areas quickly. But the X-Terras can be swung pretty fast compared to a lot of other detectors. They rely on movement to trigger the detector and are light enough to carry around pretty much all day long without getting long arms. See what you can find out about the Garrett GTI 2500 from users and then weigh up the benefits of both brands before choosing. Also be sure to compare the worst aspects of each detector because this is where the limitations will be.

Cheers,

Marco

Hello bfodnes,
Thanks for the help!
I'm curious as to why you like the 6" DD most?
How is the recovery speed? Do you find you have to slow down alot?

Thank you,
wichita6

Go with the Exterra 70. Lighter, faster, deeper, better battery life. The 2500 is deep in all metal, but the 70 has adjustable tones in all metal. The coil selection on the 70 determines the frequency and it is one of the most versatile on the market. It is cheaper to boot. R.L.

wichita6 said:
How is the recovery speed? Do you find you have to slow down alot?

You can see the comparison between the two coils here as shown from the rear quarter (below). The red blade is the main detection area and the green field is the softer "secondary" field. A target may often trigger a response if the green secondary field passes over it. But it will almost always trigger if the red blade hits it. The fields appear both above and below the coil but I've only shown the area below the coils. The "sparkle" is the "sweet spot" used when in Pinpointing Mode. In the smaller 6" coil, the sweet spot is tight and right in the middle of the coil. In the Elliptical, the sweet spot for pinpointing is forward from the center... underneath the Minelab logo sticker.

The Elliptical coil can be used like the Concentric Coil - to scan large areas of ground to find targets. The smaller 6" coil is capable of working in creeks and rockpools and is waterproof. It's designed to be used for smaller areas or for detecting around cluttered trash.

original.jpg

Cheers,

Marco

The 6" DD is probably the most sensitive coil i have ever owned on a true discriminating detecetor.

It is not far behind my stock coil ( 9 by 5 ) on the Fisher Gold Bug II los Banos i own.

At the same time it discriminates well, goes deep,, and i dont lie,, its goes way deeper then its diameter,,,

So I never tried the Concentric 6",, why should I....

This formum and its expertice led me to the 6" DD and I never had a reason to look back.

Its the best coil I have ever owned on any detector,,,,,,

But look out for those new design bigger DDs when they come,,,

Forgot...

The recovery speed on this 6" DD is very good.

I dont have to slow down much when detecting cause it is so sensitive it beeps me when danger lurks, lol.

I tend to recheck any beep of iron from any angle to see behind it so it doesnt matter much to me, I even dig the iron to unmask if it is too big.

If you leave iron open and go by brain and sound, there is not much that may fool you around recovery speed.

The 70 is a true detecting tool ( no toy ) and You will love it.

Hello All,
I made the purchase today and my new x70 should be here in a day or so:)
I am looking forward to covering some old tracks as well as making some new one.

Thanks for all of the help and advice you have given and please if you have more, it will all be appreciated!

I will post my comments, questions and finds here on this site and I look forward to digging up some history and sharing it with you all.

Thanks again,
wichita6

Not sure if it's been mentioned to you yet but read all the FAQ section. It helped bring me up to speed much faster. I also found that after you start getting more familiar with your x70. Re-read the FAQ section and you will pick up more and more makes sense.

Have fun.. I call mine the coin Vacuum