Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Abandoned Mine Hunting..........please help.

julesjunk

<b>First time post to this site. Hope some of you can help. I've been detecting for 4 years now, but this is my first opportunity to "prospect".
Just learned I'll be traveling to an area north of Boulder, CO. later this week. A brother of a friend owns some property at about 7200', and on this property is a boarded up mine. From what he's learned, it was a gold mine, has been boarded up since the 30's, and the shaft actually runs uphill back into the mountain some 50+ feet. Recognizing the danger factor in entering an old mine shaft, my questions are these:
1)What should I look for?
2)What areas outside the mine would be best for hunting?
3)Any suggestions specific to using the MXT?<p>Any and all responses/help before thursday afternoon would be greatly appreciated!
Regards,
Jules

To show you my ignorance, I'm not even sure I know what a tail pile is. I'm assuming it's simply the debris/rock that's been removed from the mine? And I'm assuming that is the pile that is typically just below the entrance??
Jules

This is my standard travel pack when I go out...A gold pan is a must, a magnet to separate the black sand(iron) from gravel.A very good magnifying glass...a plastic lunch baggy ( to cover the magnet).A flashlight, because your probably going to peek though the mineshaft entrance boards.Buy yourself a small sample nugget..This shouldn't be a problem in Boulder Co.and test it against your detector. This will help you find your confidence level with your detector. Start well below the base of the mine with your detector and sample the gravel with your gold pan and magnifying glass.Work up toward the mine...CHECK THOSE TAILINGS...Look for quartz...Remember that those miners started digging for a reason and they also stopped for a reason...GO SLOW and BE CAREFUL...