Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Abandoned Farmstead for Two Hours Tuesday Morning

Dug

Got permission to hunt an old abandoned farmstead only about 5 miles from my home. The place still has several deteriorating buildings including the house, a detached garage (in the photo), a granary. There were cows in the yard and they stared at me for a time, and number 77 ( I was warned about her) threatened me once, but after a half hour they got used to me and ignored me the rest of the time. There was a lot of cow dung to work around. :O My first decent signal was pretty typical of a copper penny with digital conductive of 44-45. It was only about 3 inches deep and was a 1964 penny. :sad:

After digging a few pieces of junk, I hit another good and hopeful signal with conductivity of 47-48 and ferrous of 10-12. This signal was pretty good all the way around. I was hoping for a quarter, but it turned out to be a 1957D Rosie. I moved a little closer to the house, and hit a good signal, again conductivity of 47-48 and ferrous of 12-14. The signal seemed too strong, and raising my detector higher the signal stayed pretty strong, so thought it would be a big piece of junk. But it was two toy cars in the same hole. The cars must be cast aluminum. The wheels are still on the cars, but they are both cracked in a couple of places.

Next I found the 1912 penny, which was a real iffy signal and changed character in most directions. But it seemed pretty solid 44-45 and 12-13 at its best. The farmyard was full of junk and much iron, so some signals were hard to pinpoint. Because this was one of them, I hit the target twice with my shovel. I also found a 1949D penny, but not photo.

Just as it was about time to leave, I hit another iffy signal which was C 38-39 and F 9-10 in only one direction. As I moved around the target it disappeared as a null almost all the way around. But at one location it was a good signal as I swung back and forth. It pinpointed well in this location also. You have probably guessed that this was the 1889 Indian Head. :detecting: And it's in pretty good shape too. It was a good two hours. I will be going back there again soon.
Thanks for looking and happy hunting to all.

Doug

Great Hunt! Thanks for posting the IH numbers. Those indians just keep eluding me on the new E-Trac. Will be watching for those numbers. BSC

very nice finds i be posting my 2 month finds on sunday u have had better luck with silver than me i have found only 4 gold rings 9 wheats , i see u scratch the penny :)

After hitting this good signal, I was wishfully thinking these cars were going to be several silver quarters, or halves, or maybe even a silver dollar. Oh well, a guy can dream can't he?

yes, I scratched it badly because it was hard to pinpoint as it was next to some junk iron. I hit it twice with my shovel. I have found three 1912 pennies in my 4 seasons of detecting; 1912S, 1912D, and this one. Sure glad I scratched this one and not the others as they are semi-key dates, especially the 1912S. The 2010 Red Book shows the value of the 1912S as upwards of $22.

great job!, love that injun, great shape! are you using a pinpointer? that might help you from hitting coins, even though I scratch coins sometimes too, hard to avoid when they are in tree roots

Hey Dug. Great hunt and interesting finds. I love the cartoon also, as I can relate to that type of humor. Keep the stories and pictures coming. Appreciate it!!!

NebTrac

Great stuff !!!

HH --- Mark

Dug / Dang i wana do that??? WTG on your finds, Mickfin

I got the E-trac this last Christmas and so am still early on in learning how it works with different settings. I'm almost exclusively using the preset coin pattern for now. Haven't had enough time to experiment with more than that. I've only been out hunting with this E-trac about a half dozen times. Thanks for asking.

Doug

Not sure what you mean by a "pinpointer." I use pinpoint on the machine itself, but sometimes targets are hard to pinpoint because of trash. Thanks for asking.

Doug