Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A Wash Day Afternoon

Arkie John

I recall a story Mother told about me, down through the years and Linda has asked that I share it. I told it to her this week and she was delighted, laughing out loud, said she'd never heard it before. So here goes.

A little background: Daddy was a plain spoken man, prone to mild-to-intermediate profanity--whenever the situation warranted it. He never used really vulgar language such as the "F" word, but he would, on occasion speak of one's ancestry if they pulled out in front of him or something really annoyed him about the actions of man or beast. You can imagine, right?

Well, here was JohnnyBoy, an impressionable 4-year-old, assisting Mother with the weekly chore of wash day. She had just run another load of clothes through the ringer washer and loaded the big dishpan with rung-out clothes and proceeded to the clothes line (what's a dryer, back then???)

She began to hang the clothes one by one as I clung to her skirt tail. It didn't matter about me. She was the most patient, even when I was under her feet continuously for 15 minutes as she maneuvered about the clothes line. All was well, until I got a little competition.

Here came our old tom cat. He pranced right up to Mother's other leg and started with the rubbing her leg, first on one side then the other. I watched and grabbed his tail from time to time, clutching Momma's other leg.

Here Momma was, attempting to get the wash on the line to dry and she is impeded, times TWO. Finally, though a patient mother, she was not so patient when it came to that tom cat. She kept pushing it back with her foot, only to have him come back, pressing into her leg and getting right in the way of her each and every step.

Finally, after many pushes from Mother to discourage ole tom, he got in the way once too often and caused her to stumble over me, with both of us almost piling up, with wet, dirty/clean clothes littered all over. IMMEDIATELY her ire flared. Instantaneously she gave a prepatory back swing with her right leg and foot and, I'm tellin' you, that cat went flyin' like one of Tom Dempsey's field goal footballs! He probably was airborne for twenty feet.

As soon as the ole cat hit the ground he took off like lightnin' for the next county. Without warning I shouted, "...and take that you son of a bitch!" ...every bit of four years old, I'm here to tell ya.

When Daddy got in from work that day, she recounted the incident and asked, "Now Gene, just where do you think Johnny heard THAT phrase?"

I'm quite sure they had an in-depth conversation about Daddy's language around their parroting baby boy, donchaknow!! :lol:

Hope you enjoyed the story. I get a kick out of it every time I think about it! <><

Blessings.

AJ

Sounds like your Daddy was in for a rough time. :clapping: Great story!

a few situations like that in my household too! Way too funny! Thanks Arkie!

Dave

I'm surprised she didn't put the ole' cat through the ringer !:lol:...I recall the day when Dempsey kicked his sixty-three yarder to beat my Detroit Lions. And to think he had only half a kicking foot. Still the record today, I believe ! Great post and fun read John.

my problem was my mother would shove a bar of ivory soap in my mouth and jam my jaw up on it. I will never forget the taste of that stuff and the way it felt sticking to the back of my dang teeth. My dad would say, "NO G***D*** kid of mine is gonna swear!" Duh, go figure.

Kids mimic from their parents. We had a neighbor, Howard Foose who was a cobbler and quite a drinker.

I was always over to their house pestering them, I was maybe 4 or 5 or so but can still remember this insident. Howard told me that there was a monster that lived in his closet and I believed it. Right now the thought of that little closet is makes me uncomfortable.

I went home on day and told my mother about that monster. She told me that Howard was just a damn old drunk and I should not pay him any mind.

The next time I went over there he was pullin that monster crap on me and I told him, "My Mom says you are a damn old drunk and there is no monster!? He gave me a funny look and said, "She said that did she?" but he never did tease me about the monster again but my mother was a bit upset when I told her what I had done. :D

since then. This story made my day as we are on our way to The Witness. You might want to come too and REPENT!!!:lol:

That reminded me of one that I'll write sometime this weekend.

ILY

Lil Brother;)

I imagine that your Mother thought it was pretty funny when you shouted at that cat. For some reason, children seem to have a natural ability to remember "bad" words. Arkie John, thanks for posting this hilarious story...I enjoyed it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

That reality had escaped me till I read your comment ! There's always something written here that rekindles the past. Not that I know what Lux tastes like !!:lol:

I was in my kitchen and hit my foot on the edge of the cabinet. (the same one that had just had the stitches removed). The whole family was in there, and it hurt like the dickins. I grabbed my foot and danced and hopped all over the place, holding any obscenities that might be on the verge of falling out of my mouth!

During all this comotion, Trudie, (our dog) came running toward me, and all I could do was slap the dog! I think she was just worried about me,.........well. later on I was talking to Johnboy on the phone and he told me about mother and the cat! I had never heard this story before!!!!

And JOHN would NEVER get his mouth washed out! He was the firstborn and since my mother was not supposed to EVER be able to have children, he was the "golden" child!!!! :) (until ME!!!) :rofl:

...it's about FISHIN'...and she STILL doesn't get HER mouth washed out with soap either. Never did to my recollection.

I have to admit, she came by it honestly. She has the blood of a sweet ole man coursing through her veins, bless her little pea pickin' heart.

Linda Hold-em-close-to-the-camera McCall.... is my little sister and I just love her to no end! Even if she does lie about her fishin'! She fits right in with me and Lil' Brother!!!!

Since she's gimped up these days, Tom and I have decided to allow her to come along with us on our next family fishin' trip. She will be the trollin' motor operator.

Don't you know she'll just love it????? :lol:

aj