Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A tip & a method

steve in so la

Here's something to consider : About 20 years ago while passing by an old house that had a sign proclaiming an Estate Sale going on I thought maybe there's a place to hunt eventually.
So I stopped and went in. They had a good sized front & back yard with grass. While wandering around I met the owner who said he was moving out the next week and the place was to be sold. To make a long story short, he was to be out on a certain day and the new owners were to take over a certain day. The key thing was there would be 3 days that he still owned the property but had to vacate it. I explained my hobby and he said go for it on those 3 days. That's the tip - here's the method.

The house dated back to the 1890's and I started on the front yard. Going over it carefully I dug some silver, wheats, IH pennies and some more recent coins. I thought great !! And then I thought what if I went over it again at a different angle. I did so and turned up a number of old coins. These would have been dug by you or someone else.

So I again thought what about a third angle ? I took the time and was rewarded with only 3 coins but they were all old, 1 silver near the 1890's. This method of detecting is very time consuming but in an older site it could be worth it so maybe keep it in mind.
steve in so la

You're right Steve. Most of the time, regardless of where I'm hunting, I will detect using a grid pattern much like you've mentioned. Many times I have found things that didn't show up using a different angle.

Great tip, Steve! I have done that when going back to the same site I had been at before by starting at a different angle! Never can cover every inch of the ground in just one time or even a few days! God Bless! :angel: Ma

Two of the sites I had CMD forum hunts at. I go to them several times a year and keep pulling them oldies! Same spots different angles! Great tip Steve! :thumbup: