Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A Strange, and very fortuitous, meeting

Micheal_R

Staff member
Victoria, B.C, in the mid to late 1800s and early 1900s, was a genteel city dominated by theatres and the arts. At least, that is the history that is portrayed by the city archives and museums. There was indeed, a great deal of upscale arts and entertainment in Victoria during these times. However, the city also had its

If this part one is any indication, this is going to be another great story...and you tell it so well! Looking forward to the next part. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

n/t

n/t

...is an 70 pound weight belt good enough or should I add me concrete flippers?

I have never liked the idea of diving in current. Never. Gimme a lake any day and I'm a happy camper.

Ready for the next installment.

aj

I honestly don't know if I'd take the chance in strong current waters. But I'll bet it was well worth the finds ! I think I'm going to start calling you "Captain Kirk"........cause you go where no other (chicken) man would dare to go ! I love these treasure tales !!:thumbup:

caught lots of fish off it also. Grilse fishing was hot along the bar too on the rare occasion my uncle would take us in his boat:thumbup:
I remember longing for a way to retrieve the millions of fish hooks lost to the kelp but in 1955 had never heard of Scuba. Beside, Cousteau was a frenchman and dad wouldn't have let me play with him anyway;) and Loyd Neilson wasn't around yet.:biggrin:

ledges and uprisings have stronger currents around them?seems like they would,or at least cause the existing current to quicken,on to part two.

n/t

n/t

n/t

don't fight it as you will never win.

I have done a lot of river diving, for bottles. The current can really be fast but if you find a spot you want to hunt, just lock your body on some log or other bottom structure and you can just fan the bottom and let the water do the digging. In the river I would use a pingpong paddle and fan the bottom to loosen it up and then hold the paddle on an angle to the flow and let it blast the bottom. Works great.

There is little to fear in current if you just take your time and gain the experience it takes. Go with an experienced river diver a few times because there are tricks.

in rivers, like the St Clare in Michigan, we can sometimes just slide behind a big ledge or barrel, maybe a log jam and there is little current. Good place to rest:thumbup:

it takes a trained man to dive. You get experience a little at a time and it is a very safe sport.

I will not dive with a young macho diver, especially a new one. Most of the macho divers are the new unexperienced ones in my experience. They will do things because of their egos and get you kilt :D I usually dive alone and feel very safe. Over 700 dives and only two bad moments. Good record.

New stuff can be scary and I always thought training was important and diving with experienced divers when trying something new, ice diving, wreck diving, river diving. They take special skills or at least a little knowlege.

If we didn't do things because they were scary, we would do little

was with my dry suit in cold shallow water. You put air in your suit to keep warm and it makes you very boyant. Takes a bit of weight to keep you down. It is murder on the small of your back after a bit. I found putting fifteen lbs on the tank and the rest on the belt helps. I also use ankle weights

The current is very rapid but to rest, just drop down that ledge and bingo, virtually no current!!

Calm seas

Mikie

The first time was in Saanich inlet. Now this is a salt water inlet with a river running into it. So you could imagine just how cold it was. Had to bust through the ice to do a check on one of my theses for university. No rope, no guidance to get back. My own fault for certain.. but it still was no fun.

The other was up here in a wreck... the ice was thin so no problems that way.... probably just a flashback to the Victoria dive. :)

fair winds

Mikie