Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A strange, and fortuitous, meeting... part 2

Micheal_R

Staff member
I had decided to go back to Brotchie on a Saturday, and wouldn

Does something prohibit you from you having a tending line clipped to you?

With that kind of current, Alice being a half-mile away, THAT is fortuitous INDEED.

Great story, but I shudder at the thought of that sail boat not being there for you.

aj

Jumpin' lizards Mikie !......I would've bolted after meeting that eel.:lol: And to not be certain that you'd be visible when surfacing, well.....you've got to have nerves of steel ! But I'll tell ya what....I admire your savvy Mikie.:clap: The things you've experienced are a pipe dream for the less courageous. I'm in awe just thinking about that adventure. BTW.....tell me you didn't photograph that eel ???:blink: Can't wait for the rest and I'd LOVE to see more bottle and pottery pics. Those are fabulous finds !!!!:thumbup:

I did just barely enough diving and know the conditions well enough to be in awe of your adventure! Those crockery and glass bottles are treasures and i wish as a kid i had not busted so many of those "ginger beer" crocks:cry:
Wolf eels are neat critters! Onward buddy:thumbup:

that thorpes bottle is nice as well as the pickle jar,they are bound to have a little value.not trying to pump you up mike,but maybe you should sit down someday and write a little book about your adventures around the area and also your knowledge of some of the historical aspects.

does victoria island have rural areas on it still?

computer today! I know you have been very busy, and a story from you has been long overdue!! That ugly thing in the jar would have made me crap my wetsuit! :lol: The jar and bottles are awesome though!

I was wondering, the photo that you and Alice have in the bathroom, the black and white one,.......was that taken that day?

Can't wait for next part! :)

If push had come to shove, I would have dropped the weight belt and drifted with the current. Eventually, I would have swum to shore and then contacted Alice.

However, things worked out well :)

fair winds

Mikie

there was only one type of camera back then.... A Nikonos.. and i could not afford that .

The bottles are a great picture of history in Victoria.... the Vic Brewery V.I. was made prior to 1858... when vancouver Island joined B.C. All bottles after that were Vic Brewery B.C.

The thorpes all have inside threads.... pretty much a unique B.C. method of closure.

Calm seas

Mikie

Who am I to judge? I broke glass insulators too!! :)

Fair winds

Mikie

There are lots of rural areas there. Wayne lives in a very nice area of the island... Errington/Coombs. That is one of my favourite areas of the island. In fact, were I not here in Edgewood, that would probably be where I would be .

Sunny skies

Mikie

That was taken when I took an author, Betty Pratt Johnson... the book 141 dives, out to Brotchie for a dive. The bottle that is being held is a tiger whiskey jug....

I will take a shot of that and post it for you.

Fair winds

Mikie

Does that thing have teeth? How dangerous are they? Do you still have the pickle jar? I hope that I am not being a pest for asking these questions...I had a few more to ask, but I felt that three was enough to ask. I really like this story and look forward to the next part. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

since victoria is prominent on the map of the island i had it in my mind that it was the island name.it doesn't help that vancouver the city is on the mainland.man,wayne is lucky:).

n/t

Very large.. They can, and have, broken a wooden dowling with one bite. While they are not particularly dangerous [or so they say], back in the 50s and 60s, we thought that they were... and we gave them the respect and distance our fear indicated. :) However, they will, if provoked, get mad at you.

The large jar in the photo is the very one that I evicted this eel from.

Calm seas

Mikie

would be tough enough without the added load.

A lift bag would have been good :D Turning the bottle upside down and filling it up would have given you a ride to the top. Not much control of the assent that way though.

That is a nice jug!! I only found one 5 gallon and I left it there because it had a hole in it. I later wished I had brought it up as it would have looked good with the hole against the wall.