Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A short bike ride up to the San Macos, Texas area today...........

Kelley (Texas)

I rode on a few of the back roads east of San Marcos and only took a few pictures before I called it for the day because of the heat. Reflecting back, I probably should not have gone today and should have waited for a cooler day.

It has been hot and dry in this area of Texas for the past six months and these pictures will show the result of such.

I spotted these cows resting under an Oak Tree. Please note that they are being fed round bales of hay and the pasture in the back ground is gone, dried up.

[attachment 131894 hayscounty_1.jpg]

[attachment 131895 hayscounty_2.jpg]

This crop field is gone too! As far as you can see, other crop fields are also gone. The farmers and ranchers are having a hard time this year.

[attachment 131896 hayscounty_3.jpg]

[attachment 131897 hayscounty_4.jpg]

As you can see, I did not have much of a bike ride today. It is dangerous to be riding in this type of 100 plus degrees temperature days. We have broken seven heat records in the past two or three weeks and we broke the record today that was established in 1901. I am going to park the bike in the garage and wait for the days where the temperatures are in the 90's. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

a few minutes ago i asked how the ride went......
Same problem in western Canada, extreme heat and crops are drying up! I have been there and know how tough it is as you do when the weather turns on you!
Hope they all get some rain.
Sure nice of you to take the trouble to get some nice pics, the cows under the Oak trees look so natural and it stirs memories, thanks Fred!:beers:

Hope that things cool and you get some rain soon Fred.

Our horses cannot keep up with the grass growth in the fields.. They are getting so fat that Alice has had to restrict their intake to the point that we have limited them to a small 2 acre paddock.That one has grass too.... and even that is probably too much. They are still blimps. :):

fair winds

Micheal

If the horses have gotten fat, how long do you think it would take to leg them up? One of my horses, Tuff, got so fat one time that it took me almost sixty days to leg him up...he protested the entire time because he had become lazy too and did not want to work. If your horses have gotten fat, that indicates that you have a good worming program. Do you all pull the shoes when you are not going to be riding them for awhile? I still miss the old home place. Please have a great day tomorrow...hope you get to treasure hunt tomorrow. Kelley (Texas) :)

with todays conditions I might should say, flatiron. Interesting pictures. I think I would stay in too:thumbup:

Hi Fred,

Faced with the kind of heat you described, I can't even imagine two wheeling or even four wheeling without air conditioning!

You be safe Friend!

Thanks for keeping us up to date on things there.

We are having the coolest summer in many years here because of the jet stream patterns, so I'm told.

Sure wish I could send some your way,

CJ

I just do not ever remember it getting this hot, this early before...but then again, I seem to have a short memory here lately. I wonder if it was like this back in the Dust Bowl era. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

flying into Huston and the thing that really stuck in my mind from the air was just how flat that area looked. Enormous and flat. all the way to Galveston.

I had gotten my idea of Texas from the movies and the cowboys were almost always in the mountains and it seemed strange to me to see it flat.

It is like Montana. Most people think of Montana as being all Mountains but it is far from the truth. Much of Montana is as flat as North and South Dakota. Heck we drove a third to three quarters across the state, going West, before we even saw a mountain. We could see them far off for many hours before we even hit the foothills. This is one huge country for sure.

n/t

is in good working condition. A fat horse is just like a fat human, they can not do much work because they are not in condition to work...easily injured, and they become lazy and sometimes cranky when you try to work them. A fat and over fed horse could be subject to colic and even founder under the right conditions. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

But it has still only been a couple of months since her operation and the ensuing problems.Give her a bit more time and she will be all over it and the horses will be fit and happy.

Calm sas

Micheal

Those horses will be just fine. Please tell Alice not to over do it and hurt herself while she is still mending. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

up this way that way. We have to much rain. Seems to be crazy weather all over the country. I take if if some was careless with fire, that whole field could go up. Not good. Hope it changes for the better for you guys down there.

George-CT

n/t

n/t