Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A "real" Texas ghost town..............

Kelley (Texas)

This afternoon, I met an old gentleman that at one time owned some property where there use to be a small town..now a ghost town. This ghost town is located approximately 2 1/2 hours ride west of San Antonio. The gentleman remembers that there was a small one room school, a small post office, a general store and some other buildings. His father built a house on part of the property that was once this town, and he thinks it is still standing, possibly folks living in it. The old school house and one building was on their property, and across the gravel road that now divides the old ghost town sat the post office and a general store along with some other buildings, but he does not remember what they were. He has given me directions and hopefully, this weekend I may try to ride out there and take some pictures. This sounds like it is in a remote area, on a gravel road off of a paved state farm to market road...he said at one time you had to go through a cattle guard to reach the town. He is eighty-six years old and does not remember much more, can not even remember the official name of the town. Once I actually locate this old town, I should be able to find out the name of it and other important information. Oh, he did tell me that he thinks that the school was built in the 1880's.

For informational purposes, this gentleman now lives in a nursing home and has not seen this property in over sixty years. When I was at the nursing home this afternoon and was walking down the hall way, I heard a deep voice say "Hi there cowboy." He was sitting just inside the door of one of the rooms...I was wearing my cowboy hat and boots. I started laughing and stopped to talk with him. We ended up talking for almost an hour before I had to leave. I plan on going back to visit this old man from time to time, his family seldom visits him...they have stuck him in this nursey home rather than devote time to his needs in his old age...very sad. I do not think that I will ever forget that deep voice and laugh.

Needless to say, I am excited about visiting this old ghost town. Would anyone on the Forum be interested in seeing the photos and reading about what I discover at this old ghost town? Are you even interested in this type of story? Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)
[attachment 89526 Wolf.gif]

I guess since I lost my mother at a young age, I realize that parents are too precious to forget. Cherish them while you can.

On a more upbeat note, I hope that you get out and try to find that ghost town. Sounds exciting and has a lot of possibilities.

Sunny skies

Mikie

I've seen that quite often in nursing homes. I'm amazed at the people that get forgotten in them. My kids used to do all kinds of stuff at them for Christmas and throughout the year. I hope I never end up in one. Geo

All that I can say is that I saw to it that both my parents passed on to a better place while at home, under the care of us children and Hospice. They passed away with dignity, and with loved ones at their side.

Mike, you would be surprised at the number of folks put in a nursing home because the children do not want to take care of the parent. From time to time, some of us will visit veterans in the VA Hospital and various nursing homes. We were on such a visit today when I met the old gentleman that told me about the ghost town. This old gentleman was in this type of situation, his wife passed on several years ago, and the children have busy lives...too busy to spend much time with him. I have added him to my list and will check on him from time to time to see how he is doing. If I do make it out to the old ghost town, providing that I can find it by his directions, I will give him some of the printed pictures that I take. For some reason, I doubt if I ever forget that deep voice saying "Hi cowboy." Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

How is your weather up there now...spring time yet? Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

....it has been empy for a few years,a buddy of mine researched it a little,he has only found coins in the 30's so should be some vintage silver maybe.I will meet him on the site in morning,if weather permits.He saw a caretaker who pinpointed some of the early building foundations.Usually these things don't pan out much,but this looks like it could.I will keep you updated. bye Orlando

Folks seem real busy at this time of year...much work writing stories with too few taking the time to read them or even taking the time to comment. I can fully understand, no problem on my end. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I run in to this way to many times, just lost my grandfather Thanks given Day, He was 93. He was bed ridden for almost 3 years. It was hard to get help with the rest of the family, even to come see him. He enjoyed company talking to all of use, see the grandkids and great grandkids. His mind was great just a worn out body after a few strokes. Theres so much to learn off the elderly and when there gone we lose so much info that can't be gotten only by living it. He swore he he the fastest mule in Nolan county going up,the races to and from school, picking cotton, buggy rides to town on Saturdays as a kid so many little stories he told me though out the years. I am proud we kept in his house to the day he died, I ate Thanks given dinner with him or in his presents on the day he past, I wise more of the family would have been there. He took his last breath at 5:35pm then went to eat dinner with my grandmother and the rest of the family that had been waiting on him to be there. I miss him dearly, but I know he's better off now. Kelley I hope you post the pic's and tell another good story like all the others you have done in the short time I've been on here. Thank You From Bill The Bayrat

is much the same, off and on showers and cool, low 50's for highs. Mornings have been cold, it was 28 here yesterday morning with frost. Crazy spring. Grass is coming up like crazy, horses are liking that for sure. I had 3 riding days in the week before this last one.
I'm seeing afternoon highs of 68 for this coming week, so I should be able to get some decent afternoon rides in. My neighbor bought a new bike for himself so he wants to get out. He road for a lot of years, but then stopped. His wife passed away last year and he was bored so he bought a little Honda Rebel, looks like a mini Harley and he rides that around the local area. I took it out yesterday for about 15 minutes to scuff up the sections of the tires that he never puts to the pavement. He has had 2 hip replacements but that don't slow him up any. Tough old fella. I'll get some pictures of it this week. I have a few local trips planned again, when the weather breaks with the camera. Different types of village greens, rivers. Lots of old river mills here from the 1800's that are being restored for elderly housing or retirement homes. Nice grounds, most are made of granite on the outside. Beautiful buildings that were just sitting. These were thread mills. I detect them pretty often in areas that have not been dozed over. Miles of old spillways to check out....just usually damp with lots of mosquitoes in them so those are fall hunts. I found one where a trotter track used to be.... Even found where the betting stations were but they dozed in flat for 6 baseball fields.... It looked like they had been dumping all the old big stone and big sections of asphault over the banks by the river to control erosion from the fast water in the spring time, and then pushed the dirt off the track into there. I've found some silver dollars there but not many. I've got a picture of the old track I'll post when I do this one....Pretty neat and its about 5 miles from here....

My daughter will be here this coming week so if she is not flat out she may ride. Last she said is she had a lot of free air miles left and was flying back to SC next weekend for Darlington Races. She is driving up her truck and a U-haul now and will drive back her Jeep next weekend after the races.... Busy young lady, always on the move.....Not enough hours in a day for her.... She has her bike loaded in the back of the truck so she is pretty selective where she stops. She is traveling with 2 dogs so is staying at Air force friends along the way. She is running Rt 81 so nice drive through a lot of mountains. I knowsheis running skyline drive if not rain there. That will drive her nuts, beautiful bike country....

I see you guys have had some crazy weather all around you. Any of it right in your town? Same with Sunny. Hope you guys are being missed by all those tornadoes...... They are rare here but the ones that did pass through here got my attention.... Ares are hurricanes, more wide spread damage but not giant vacum effect you guys get in narrow paths..... I'm surprised all homes down there don't pour concrete vaults in theground to go into....

Geo