Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A Real Hero, in " The Mosquito Fleet!"

Ron J

I believe this to be a good title for this story. Its about a gentleman from Massachusetts, who served his country during WW ll ! Anyone who served during that time is a Hero in my eyes. A dying breed of brave men/women who helped keep the U.S.A. free! They made sacrifices we can not imagine. They were are Fathers, Mothers, Grandparents, Uncles, who made it work! I currently have in my possession, a photo album on loan to me for a short time to scan the contents. What i see is the story of someones years in the Navy, during the War. His nickname is "BUD". Bud is gone now, but his grandson, Chris, is one of my techs at the Nissan Dealership. He knew of my interests of the Sea, boats, and Coast Guard. He had mentioned his Grandfather had been stationed on P T Boats and his Grandmother had this photo album. I had asked if his Grandma would let me scan the photos,and finally while visiting her on Easter, he was able to borrow them .As an added bonus, there are a few pages of Bud's diary, with dates,and his thoughts all recorded. I have looked through this information and although it doesn't appear to be vast volumes, I'm able to look into a "picture" of Buds younger years. Just a few months short of Buds 21st birthday,he enlisted in 1943, according to his Separation paper. He mentions on a page of his diary,he was inducted, Whats the difference,he was THERE! Before i bring you to Europe with Bud, i need to mention some training. He says after boot camp went to Virginia Beach for Radar training,(had to be fairly new),and next to Boston,(his home!) and on to Melville Rhode Island, for Motor Torpedo Boat training. Appears Bud knew his Horns, i mean as in musical horns! He was in a band called the U.S.Mosquito Fleet band. Chris tells me he was quite talented,playing Trumpet and Clarinet. Looks like he is enjoying this gig![attachment 84798 ScannedImage-17.jpg]Bud is sitting to the left of the drum. Appropriately it appears to be Easter! What timing for this story! Check out the Babes! :D [attachment 84798 ScannedImage-17.jpg]Here is another shot, notice the "P T" on the notes! Neat stuff! I will end this chapter, teasing you with a couple of PT Boats chasing waves...this is just a sample, we will be going overseas next chapter![attachment 84800 ScannedImage-15.jpg] Tell me, was it time for a saltwater shower? Wow![attachment 84801 ScannedImage-16.jpg] More maybe tomorrow or couple days! Hang in there! Rj

I understand that many were loss.

I worked with a guy that was a radar man during WW2 but he was in the German army. He said he served in Italy until it was invaded. They evacuated him and his buddies first as they wanted to protect them and their equiptment. He also served on the Russian front but he was in a remote area and was saved from much of the horror.

Thanks for the post Ron

I know very little about PT boats other than they were very fast...up to sixty miles per hour across the water. I will be looking forward to the next part of this story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Made from plywood...light, fast and they got the job done.

And those PT boats were something else.. :thumbup:

calm seas

Mikie