Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A question of digging tools

relic-hunter

I have been using a blunt nosed trowel / scoop for the beach, but this has zero penetrating power in anything but sand. I don't know that I want a folding shovel, but something that is more along the lines of a trowel that can dig through surface vegetation. I saw that kellyco has a few different ones that they advertise as good / better / best. Any recommendations?

I use a 7 in 1 tool from Home Depot. It is in the gardening department and is really for lawn and landscaping use. It has a smooth side and a serrated side which is great for cutting roots. The end is rounded but sharpened somewhat. It is also marked out in inched along the blade and handle which comes in real handy for seeing how deep you are. It works great for up to can sized objects down to about 10 inches. Anything bigger or much deeper and it gets to be a lot of digging. The one I have doesn't have a belt sheath but I think I can find something to clip it to my belt. For now I carry it around in my back pocket.

I have been using a Fiskers digger I got at Wall-Mart for $7 + tax.
Its sharp and very strong. Cuts real good. The fork on the end will
remove small roots easily by twisting.

I also use a cutlery knife, from Wal-Mart that has a thick stainless
steel blade. I put a serrated edge on it with a grinder. It works real
good in sod. I had to put tape on it because the handle hurt my
hand.

digger.jpg

knifes.jpg

Maybe that will give you some ideas.

HH,

Here's the shovel I use. I got it at Wal-Mart for $4 and modified it.

I got the digger at Lowe's and put a serrated edge on it. But I like
the Fiskers better.

dig1.jpg

HH,

Look up the Nebraska Sod Buster. It's the only digger that I have never bent. It will last a very long time.

I also have the Fiskars Tabdog recommended, found at Target but I paid 9.99 for it about a month ago. It works very well. Plus I have a sturdy plastic gardening shovel and short shovel similar to Tabdogs I found for a few bucks at a BigLots store this past weekend. There more pricey things out there but expensive does not always mean it's the best. There are more affordable tools out there that work just as good.

I have the Lesche, Fiskars, each of the whole line of Wilcox stainless trowels, each of the Predator shovels (some 2 of each), and all kinds of other diggers and shovels.
I think I done gone off the edge and forgot the rope :unsure:

[quote tab-nabit]I have the Lesche, Fiskars, each of the whole line of Wilcox stainless trowels, each of the Predator shovels (some 2 of each), and all kinds of other diggers and shovels.
I think I done gone off the edge and forgot the rope :unsure:[/quote]

So what do you use the most?

I had one of the Fiskars from WM and liked it pretty well but I broke it. Snapped right at the handel. It was kind of skinny anyhow. Right now I have a steel trowel I pickd up at Farm Land(? (some big farm store in Janesvillle, WI )). Also use a heavy-duty 10" kitchen knife I picked up at a returns store that I use in nicer sod. With all of them, I just use the metal for the initial cuts and switch to a plastic $1 trowel from WM (or elsewhere) to fish out the target without scratching it. Actually kind of like this steel trowel. For most targets, it's 3 cuts, pry the plug loose, and then switch to the plastic one.

The one I like the best in my 34 years of detecting as I have tried many is the Lesche digging knife. I used to break many of them or bend them, but these Lesche I have no problem with as they are strong and will cut though roots too and I even dig in hard pack gravel, but it is tough when it is like cement. I find I can dig a nice plug with it and have had no problems digging in parks as it don't look like a small shovel. Now for my open Fields or where digging is no problem I use the Lesche Samson shovel which is also very Strong and does a great job.

The choice depends on various things.
General coin/jewelery I'll usually use the Lesche.
If targets are running a bit deeper, I'll usually use one of the Wilcox stainless diggers. They are strong and provide leverage when needed.
Deeper yet and/or bigger stuff like in the woods, I'll use a shovel.
Below are the ones I say get the most use, most of my other digging tools get the most use by the wife for her yard works.
[attachment 82823 HandDiggers.JPG]
[attachment 82824 Shovels-a.JPG]

When I first started I bought the Ames Planter Buddy. After a fer weeks of using it I got a Lesche digger. Very well made and sturdy I really like this digger. I have sense bought the Predator Hercules. I also like this digger. I tend to use this and the Lesche most often. The Ames now stays home.

That looks real close to my old Sampson shovel - I posted a pic a few lines or so down. It's the shovel on the top of the 3 shown. Has the T-Handle.

I started with a big 15" survival knife, which worked OK, but drew a bit of unwanted attention and wasn't that great of a digger, but make for a decent plug cutter:

allthingsjeep_1992_4495641

Next I tried one of these:

PB_diagram.jpg

It's a good tool, except IMO it has one major flaw. the top of the tool was made to pound in plant stakes (a useless feature if you ask me), but the way it flares out and has a semi sharp edge really tears your hand up. If you could grind the top down into a ball shaped end, it would work OK.

Then after hearing everyone rave about the Lesche, I pulled the trigger on it, and couldn't be happier with it. Works awesome for cutting plugs and limited digging. I understand it has a lifetime warranty on it as well, so if you should happen to break it (seems unlikely at this point) they'll replace it.

leschestandard.jpg

Hi Relichunter, check out this forum advertiser Ron's Detectors
for a wide range of excellent diggers and other great products.
..W

Hey tab-nabit they do look very much the same. I really like the shovel. It is very easy to use your foot with. Helps on getting it into the ground. I am using this shovel now almost all the time. The Lesche digger stays on me but really does not get the use it did. I dig a nice plug and then use the shovel to pack it back down. Much easier to me on my back, Beale.

Wow. Thanks for all the feedback and recommendations. I just ordered a 12 sawtooth gator digger from Kellyco. It looks pretty decent for the type of ground I will be digging in. I might invest in a shovel too. But I think I will hold off on buying one for a bit.

For my shovel, I bought a Cold Steel Spetnaz shovel. From this review, I figured if I didn't like it, it would be great for camping.

http://www.cutleryscience.com/reviews/cs_shovel.html

But I like it a lot so far. Don't think I've going to break this puppy and it's nice and compact and about the same length as a section of the SE when broken down so fits in the same backpack.

I would agree withe the digger from Wal Mart, for something like 14. and change as opposed to the Lesche which I also own and paid 3 times as much, it is the Ames Plantar's buddy and it does have a semi sharp edge so you have to be careful about "sliding" it back to the pouch. It works great even in hard semi frozen ground and roots are not a problem. It cuts a nice pocket in turf that can easily be replaced.

TrappersTrowel.jpg

I have two with the "D" handle design (not shown)...

I like the fact that I can use the weight of my shoulders and upper body to shoot-up deep plugs, without having bend my back alot or kneel.

They are available with either a narrow or wide blade. I have one of each.

With shipping they run about $20 on "The Bay". They are called "Trapper's Trowels" and are pretty tough.

Skillet