Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A primer on gun laws in Canada and a story about how a "little" .22 saved my butt ! ...............

Wayne in BC

During the late 60's and through to the 80's i was enamored of handguns, all sorts of them but mostly big ones.
In this country handguns have been restricted since the early 1930's and you have to jump through hoops to get one. Criminal record check, references, etc. I did all the paperwork and began to acquire the "toys" that i wanted, all the time claiming that i was interested in collecting them and being a member of a target shooting gun club, ( a requisite for ownership of a hand gun).

Things changed in the late 80's and i began to be less interested because of the increasing restrictions and just ordinary lack of interest setting in and i sold 5 of my handguns.

I and numerous friends had for years carried large caliber pistols while in the wilderness, mostly because they were easier to carry than a rifle but trust me, even a .44 magnum is a last resort weapon when you are facing a Grizzly, an angry Moose, or even a Cougar.
A large caliber rifle with 200+ grain bullets is much better. I also often carried a .22 pistol mostly for grouse, squirrels, and other camp meat, a Ruger single six convertible .22/.22magnum which i purchased in 1972. I always liked this tough little pistol, accurate and dependable, it was my favorite. My girls learned to shoot a handgun with it and it slew many gophers and other varmints around the stump ranch.

About a dozen years ago our "nanny state" liberal government created a new firearms registry which would of course solve all gun crimes...D'OH! They included rifles as well handguns. The rifle bit was a new thing but as i have said, the handguns had always been registered with the RCMP. Well, i got a letter from the idiots right off, saying that i had to re-register my pistol and pay a bunch of money for the privilege! (i had long since sold the other pistols) I replied to them that i knew a place that they could shove their "new" registry and by return mail got a less polite letter.

I was really po-ed because that little Ruger had serious sentimental value and i sure liked having it around for .....er.... never mind;) So ticked was i that i marched down to the RCMP division office and told them i was surrendering a handgun for destruction. No problem they said, it was in their records and would i like to bring it in? If so they would give me a permit to convey it to the detachment
which is what you must have to transport your handgun or you can have a permit to go to the gun club at a specified time, like right down to the minute!:rolleyes:

I said no thanks, you come and get it, so they said an officer would be out that afternoon. I drove home too fast, garbbed my pet Ruger and stomped out to the shop where i put it in the vise and proceeded to make a bunch of small pieces of it with a hacksaw, leaving only the serial number intact. Then i placed it in a ziplock bag which Carol gave to the surprised and confused young Cop who came.......

I continued to ignore the gun registry retards as they sent me ever increasingly agitated letters about my, now illegal, according to them, handgun! Crap! They finally gave up and i have not heard from them for several years, i have been waiting for the idiots to send the Cops to my door so i could show them the receipt for destruction:devil:
They had told me that they had no dealings with the RCMP (liars!) when i first told them it was already registered...... All this brilliance on the governments part and it only cost us about 2 BILLION dollars for this travesty! The best part is that gun crime has gone up a whole bunch and virtually none of it committed with "legal" guns!

Now i will tell you why this little Ruger was so special. I know that the life that i and my friends/partners lived seems kinda wild to some, even unbelievable at times, but i tell you in all sincerity that these stories are true and that many i know have more exciting tales to tell. We merely happened to live a life by accident of birth, and necessity of survival that seems quite foreign to those who did not live in our world. Ordinary folk with some luck but i will admit that had i been born down south a ways i likely would have been dead from some goofy thing... "Thunder Road" was a fav movie:biggrin:

About 60 miles West of Red Deer in central Alberta is a wonderful wild mountain river known as the Clearwater. It headwaters near the edge of Banff national Park and i had hunted, fished, and enjoyed it for many years. This trip however was just fishing and my buddy and i were looking for the big Brown Trout that lived in the lower reaches, the last 10 miles before it dumps into the Saskatchewan River at the historic town of Rocky Mountain House.

We had a 10 ft fibreglass dingy and planned to float that last 10 miles of river this day, happily dropping flies into backwaters and pockets in anticipation of the big Browns, some nearly 10 lbs. We took two trucks, parking one at the take out point then motoring back over the nasty old road to put in. The river here is much tamer than its upper reaches so with some care, a small boat is fine, all wild country though and one must be careful, i brought the .22 Ruger with the magnum cylinder in, not because i was expecting trouble. more likely hoping to get a shot at a Grouse for dinner.

For the first couple miles we caught many small trout, one handling the oars while the other fished. The water being a bit too swift and tricky to just float. We had come to a sweeping left hand bend in fairly calm water and were both fishing when i looked ahead to see a very large Black bear standing at the base of a steep 12 ft bank right at the inside of the bend which we would be almost brushing past in a few moments.

I was not alarmed and almost casually mentioned to my buddy Wes, hey, lookit the bear! He looked over his shoulder and said, ya big one, oh shite! A cub! Sure enough the cub stood right in front of her, momentarily invisible in front of the sow. Just then she heard us talking and stood up with a startled WHUFF! Wes who had dropped the oars knew we were drifting towards trouble and scrambled to grab them and pull us out from the bank but we were real close now and the sow was getting quite po-ed, bouncing up and down while showing teeth. It did not look like we would pass more than 10 feet from the bears and i reached for the Ruger.....

I had no intention shooting the stupid bear and told Wes i would spook her, hurry up he said! Kablam! Water kicked up right in front of her and she swapped ends, heading up the bank with the cub close behind, then turned, growling and came back down! I fired twice more into the mud below her feet and she changed her mind, going back up the bank and behind some serviceberry bushed as we came with 8 ft of the bank with Wes pulling mightily at the oars. That was a relief! Black bears are inclined to mostly bluff but must not be trusted when cubs are involved.

I was relieved as we passed right next to where the bears had been and because she had disappeared so close to us i still held the pistol at the ready. Good thing i did because suddenly her head and shoulders came out of the brush above us and she was popping her jaws loudly as she fixed to drop down. My hand raised and i barely aimed, the pistol recoiled and a large black bundle came down the bank and splashed the water 5 ft behind us! Pandemonium for a moment as i turned sideways ready to fire again and scared half to death!

Wes was still rowing and cursing as i held the gun awkwardly over my left shoulder. The bear never moved and was floating dead as a stone behind us. It took a bit for us to settle down and go to shore. We walked up a ways and looked at the bear who had grounded on the shore. One small hole just above the eyes told the tale and my buddy was telling me how good a shot i was and i said BS! I just fired and that was dumb luck! Now we had a problem though, the Cub. It was standing at the top of the bank looking confused and i suddenly felt like crap!

We were both mighty sorry about it but the Cub would simply not survive and we did what was necessary.......

Little .22's are more than enough and i hated to to let the Ruger go. My buddy now has the holster and i am glad it will get used. Dam all left wing governments and their stupid beurocrats.

Post script.........
What i did not tell you is that after the proverbial smoke cleared, my buddy started giving me grief for shooting the bear! He was plenty scared but his second thoughts caused a bit of an argument about if it had been necessary and he finally acknowledged that things happened to fast to be sure and better to be wrong and lucky than dead!..... :shrug:

ya gotta do what ya gotta do.... Good thing ya had the .22 with ya.
The laws here are just as insane, now with all the "gun free" zones. Saying guns are the problem is like saying rosie o'donnels fork makes her fat!

Never even seen a bear yet........cept' when I've been detecting too much. I'm guessing an ole' city slicker like myself would've been the main course in that situation. If you were frightened, I hate to think what would've happened with someone less accustomed to the wild. Gives me the shivers ! Too bad there weren't a few gov't bureacrats along for that ride.......or are bears fussy eaters ??

And yes, I have a Ruger single six .22/.22 magnum I fit into it. { I earned that pistol as a fee for painting a car]. Funny thing though; I am working on a horse trailer right now [cutting out rust, priming painting, making new aluminum fenders, etc] and the owner came into the house for lunch. I was showing him something on the computer and the holster is hanging in the room [the pistol is in the safe] and he asked if the holster was for sale. This only happened yesterday. :) Obviously, I told him no... but it seems kind of serendipitous him asking like that when your story came out.

I guess that I am lucky in living where I do. The cops MAY come to Edgewood once every 3-4 months or so [and they have never been up at our end of the valley]. And when I do go out into the woods, either hunting, berry picking or gathering firewood, I always take that handgun with me. :)

calm seas

Mikie

that was one of those lucky moments that we all have. To this day i cannot be positive she was gonna jump us or was still bluffing. The shot was not aimed.

the Dodo bird. In the rural areas we still have some but more and more young folk are being raised to be utterly ignorant of the world. I must say that the majority of them are best off not to be near firearms....sadly.

a 22 could bring down a bear,wow.sorry the cub had to go,but that's the way it goes,bet i would have been in bad shape had it been me.

up, we would have been hungry most of the time. You had no other alternative than to shoot at the bear, cause a momma looks after her babies. Still, I can find the sadness at the wild shot killing the momma, but like you said, it was aimed that way, the chips just fall where they may.

I was shooting guns at the ripe old age of three or four, with my daddy standing behind me holding that monterous(then) 4/10, and I remember aiming it at an old barrel we kept around the house to burn trash in. That thing still kicked the heck out of me, and with big tears gathered in my eyes, daddy said "Want to shoot it again, Sissy?" I looked at him and said "Yes, sir". And we target practiced all afternoon, and from then on on many many occasions, until I finally got big enough to shoot by myself.

These are some of the dearest memories I have with my dad. Today, I still own the 4/10, and have mentioned it before. I even ordered a new stock for it, but have yet to get it reassembled. Maybe I will pick up this project again and get it done now.

I purchased, and licensed my 9mm Ruger, and it usually travels with me, whether camping at the beer camp, or just traveling. I feel safe with it with me. I would be afraid of it, had my daddy not taught me how to shoot pistol and rifle.

Today, our kids have to go to a Hunter's Class, which I think is a good thing, because they need to be taught how to handle a gun correctly. Daddy's did a good job back then, but now days half the daddies don't know how to handle a gun.

I enjoyed your story a lot, and always look forward to them. One of the best things was finding out Mikie was the recipient of your holster. Of course, it's so much like you to give this to him, why am I not surprised?

or anything else that defies reason or chance, I tend to think there was divine intervention, if I can use that term. Also lends me to believe that the bear intended to pounce. There's lucky.......and then there's LUCKY !! Your situation falls under the latter. When you consider the odds of an over the shoulder shot with a .22 caliber hand-gun at that, hitting where it did and all, ..........:shrug: That had to be big-time spooky !! Glad it turned out the way it did though.:beers:

I put down my guns 14 years ago but I'm still pretty dangerous with a bow, a throwing knife, sabre or bo-stick. If I had been in that situation though I'd sure be thinking 'I Wish I had a GUN!'
Bruce Lee said "Any fool can pull a trigger" and that's the problem for those of us who handle our guns responsibly.

Cheers,

BDA:cool:

PS Bermuda is an interesting place in that it has no guns, zero, so no shootings. Machetes are pretty popular though but even still homicides are extremely low. Guns don't kill people, Idiots Do!

With our daughter Eva, there was some initial reluctance. However, that wore off pretty quickly when she saw the cougar in her yard just last year. Now she has no problems in me teaching the boys. :)

fair winds

Mikie

hate getting gnawed on by bears:blink:they got no couth or manners.
Yes divine intervention is a good thought:thumbup:
Btw..... a .22 magnum has more velocity and penetration than a 357 magnum so it is seriously deadly, not a "stopper" but for sure a killer!

Hollywood still comes up stupidly short in the "martial arts vs guns" department tho.
Glad to heas that Bermuda is that calm, pray it does not triple its population:biggrin:

It was kismet i suppose. When Mike mentioned he had the same Ruger i knew the holster had a home:)
You are so right about the kids needing training and its a very good thing, sorta like the "devil you know".
Thanks Sunny!

Great story Wayne!That is amazing that you were able to make that shot under those conditions! Lucky for you that you did!Here is a pic of my 22 mag I have owned for 30 years.It also has a L.R. cylinder that has seldom been in it.Not a Ruger-it is a H&R with a 7 1/2 " barrel-all I could afford at the time- but it has served me well.I used to be able to knock walnuts out of trees with it fairly regularly-and have took a few rabbits and squirrels with it for camp meat.I aint never shot no bear with it though!And don't want to either! Just having it strapped on my side has saved me some trouble with some 2 legged coyotes met back in the woods a time or two.....