Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A pounded, beaten and left for dead public area grants me my first 1700's coin!!

JimmyCT

This afternoon I went to a spot that I have hunted for many, many years. I have run over this target in the past (even with the Equinox with a recovery of 6, iron bias 2, 50 tones, sensitivity at 20. With this setting it told me it was iron every which way. the tones bled out and fizzled away) What I feel made the difference tonight was slowing the recovery speed to 4, running sensitivity at 23 and Iron bias - 0. Tonight I hear all the iron grunts like R2D2. What a disaster of a signal but slowing down in this mess I hear this blip of a high tone. I start "massaging" the signal with a very tight wiggle and a nice high tone started to emerge and a relative steady 30-33 TID. I pinpointed and dug and dug and dug. I truly thought it was gonna be a deep nail but out pops out what I think is a token.
I place it in my bag and continue hunting. I get home and run water over it to get the dirt off of it. Still perplexed as to what it could be. Out comes the 200X magnifer.
I send a picture over to Fcrawford and he says, "I think I see FUGIO" I then see a date of 1787. I then performed a internet search and what I saw pop up made my mouth drop. How can a FUGIO cent/ Franklin cent from 1787 be at this location?????????????? I guess its real?! I am still in shock IF this is a real coin.
I believe I have finally made it into the 1700's club ?
So for all those wondering what my settings are -
Park1, Ground balanced but I do not use tracking, 50 tones ( I wouldn't use anything else but 50), "all-metal" mode where I hear everything, iron volume set at 1, non-ferrous volume 25, iron bias - 0, Recovery 4 and scan slow. "massage" those iron signals. If they continue to fall apart, move on. However if you can keep a pretty consistent high tone, get your digger out. You may very well get fooled by a few nails but to me that's part of the hunt. Do I like it? Heck no. But since I have been doing this, I have found more silver, more IH and Wheat cents and now my very first 1787 FUGIO cent.

Its a little crusty but I know I would be if I was 232 years old :rofl:

Thanks for looking. The best advice summed up: Slow down your recovery speed and scan slow. I feel you will be well rewarded from the coins that are heavily masked by iron.

That IS SO FRICKEN AWESOME!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!! It almost makes me want to leave the beaches this weekend lol...... Truly a once in a life time find!!!! Congrats!!!!!

Mike K

That's one heck of a find. I think there were only 400,000 minted.
A real peice of history.

Oh my. That's bootyful.

You were definitely rewarded for your patience! Thanks for the details on your settings!
HH Jeff

Holy SMOKES what an amazing find!!

You said you were surprised to find it "at your location" -- what city/state were you hunting in, if you don't mind telling, where that amazing find "shouldn't have been..."?

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Steve

Not bad! Great find!

Awesome find ELP and great write up.. it is real work trying to squeeze out one or more good finds from pounded ground but if the ground has great potential it be so worthwhile...congrats on the fugio... I didn’t realize you hadn’t found any 1700 s coins this far.. that is a very good 1st one......

Thank BHPA. Thing is, this place doesn't have this type of potential or at least I thought! I am still in shock how it was missed all these years. Yep, this was my first 1700's coin and out of all the places I hunt, came from the least likely place. Isn't that the way it happens? We just never know.... - Jim

bootyhoundpa said:
Awesome find ELP and great write up.. it is real work trying to squeeze out one or more good finds from pounded ground but if the ground has great potential it be so worthwhile...congrats on the fugio... I didn’t realize you hadn’t found any 1700 s coins this far.. that is a very good 1st one......

Great find nice piece of history saved! A friend of mine had a colonial spill of three coins one was Fugio
Mark

Very nice! You just unlocked a very valuable nuance of the Equinox in iron.... I get fooled some hunting like that but a lot of times it is something hiding down there...

Thanks CD,

I agree with you. Most of the time I am finding heavily masked non-ferrous items that are usually coins. My educated guess is 85% / 15%.
85% of the time it is a non-ferrous object hidden in the iron.
The other 15% I get fooled by iron (usually a large size nail)

calabash digger said:
Very nice! You just unlocked a very valuable nuance of the Equinox in iron.... I get fooled some hunting like that but a lot of times it is something hiding down there...

Terrific find, congratulations!

I have learned that slower and listening with good head phones are keys to those hidden treasures.

Keep it up, that site might have a few more cool finds!

Tony NJ

Very nice find Jim!!
Your results with that Equinox continues to impress me.
If they can resolve the leak issue with them, you just
about have convinced me to get one myself!!
There is something to that machine and you have
unlocked the secret to getting the most out of it.... good job!!

That is beyond mind blowing...”congrats” just doesn’t do it this time. I am getting to see how the iron signals “fall apart” as you say, but I still sweep them thoroughly if I hear ANY blip to see if I can get any repeatability out of it with a tight range of numbers that appears too many times to be junk. I have a feeling that after 5 years of this machine being out, people will be finding more ways to tweak coins out of garbage. Fugios? Maybe not...but many more others are waiting to be found!
Absolutely crazy find, that’s one for the books...

IDX -

Thank you for your comment. It is my personal belief the Equinox (even though it has capabilities to run extremely fast recovery speeds / high iron bias ) has to be (in order to find these heavily masked non-ferrous targets) operated like BBS / FBS with (low(er) recovery speeds & without iron bias to get the full potential out of Multi-IQ.) You are doing very well by closely listening to these "iron signals" and to what is being "whispered".

The best analogy I can give with lower recovery speed (ex. recovery 3 or 4) and running multi-freq (most of the time Park1) and 0-iron bias is this: For some reason this new Multi-IQ technology at low recovery speeds "grabs" onto the non-ferrous target like a dog trying to rip its favorite toy that's being held in your hand. You hang on tight and the dog pulls back and then from side to side trying to rip it away from you. This is only way I describe what is happening to the target once it is locked on by multi--freq, and lower recover speed. You can swing from side to side with your coil, but it "hangs" onto that non-ferrous and doesn't let go.

I am still learning myself especially with iron. I notice when I am in an iron patch if I get a non-ferrous high tone of any kind, I shorten the sweep and increase sweep speed. Then I see if I can keep that non-ferrous signal pretty consistent. I don't worry so much about TID numbers as I have seen sometimes fluctuate wildly. But that consistent tone is key. Sometimes I get fooled but that is ok....a good 85% of the time, I am pulling old coins out.

If I learn additional information, (through trial and error) I will certainly post and let everyone decide for themselves. Right now, this is working quite well for me in places I never dreamed of pulling another silver coin out of.

IDXMonster said:
That is beyond mind blowing...”congrats” just doesn’t do it this time. I am getting to see how the iron signals “fall apart” as you say, but I still sweep them thoroughly if I hear ANY blip to see if I can get any repeatability out of it with a tight range of numbers that appears too many times to be junk. I have a feeling that after 5 years of this machine being out, people will be finding more ways to tweak coins out of garbage. Fugios? Maybe not...but many more others are waiting to be found!
Absolutely crazy find, that’s one for the books...