Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A pleasant motorcycle ride to Panna Maria, Texas ................

Kelley (Texas)

Last Sunday I decided to ride down into the South Texas Brush Country and explore the various small towns in Karnes County, Texas...I especially wanted to take a few pictures of the first Polish Church in Texas located in the small town of Panna Maria. It was a warm day, beautiful blue sky with not a cloud in sight. I loaded the thermos of coffee and camera into a saddle bag and away I went.

After riding a couple of hours, I approached Panna Maria. I must say that the term small town was stretching things just a tab. The small town really consisted of the famous before mentioned church, a small post office, a large town hall, a small house that has been converted into a museum and a couple of houses that some folks were living in....there is a cemetery, but I did not visit it. Panna Maria was established in 1854 by Polish immigrants led by Father Leopold Moczygemba. This was the first Polish settlement in Texas and they soon built the first Polish Church in Texas.

This is the historical marker for Panna Maria...may be a little difficult to read.
[attachment 92059 PannaMariaHistorySignM.jpg]

This is the picture of the famous church, the first Polish Church established in Texas. I sat at a small picnic table under a large Pecan Tree near where I took this picture...I was sitting on ground that the folks walked on in 1854. This is a beautiful church and is often packed full of local folks for Sunday services.
[attachment 92057 PannaMariaChurch_M1.jpg]

This is a picture of the Post Office that serves Panna Maria and the surrounding area. It is also a small general store.
[attachment 92058 PannaMariaPostOffice_M1.jpg]

This is the "side" picture of the Post Office. Please note the side entrance, and also the "reserved parking" sign on the building...I guess they must have a parking problem. In the background, off to the left you will see the Town Hall building.
[attachment 92060 PannaMariaPostOffice_M2.jpg]

This is a picture of the Town Hall. This picture was difficult to take because of the glare from the parking lot. This is a large wood building and is used for town meetings, family reunions, holiday celebrations, and dances. It is really a neat looking old building, but I suspect it is kinda hot inside during the summer.
[attachment 92061 PannaMariaTownHall_M1.jpg]

This is a picture of the grave site of Father Leopold Moczygemba (1824-1891).
[attachment 92069 PannaMariaGraveStone_M2.jpg]

This was a very enjoyable small town to visit and I hope to go back some day and do some exploring around the entire area. As I was leaving Panna Maria, I spotted an old stone structure in the distance, but it was too far away to get a good picture. I also wanted to visit with some local folks to get more historical information, but the only folks I saw were an old Hispanic couple that did not speak much English. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

little towns slowly drying up to ghost towns. With all the land down there, I can see how it can happen. Back here, land is getting harder to come by so they restore and keep the little towns going. Being all compressed in here, its easier to do that. No wide open spaces in these parts. 2 hrs here and you can be at any part of the state border going all 4 points of the compass.

That little post office is pretty neat. I'm surprised they don't paint it up some like the church is. What did they have for work there?
That parabolic dish next to the post office looks out of place with the building. One would think, old post office, small change, got to be some nice old coins around there if you can get permission to dig them. The church is really nice. I wonder why they choose to settle there. Wonder what the attraction was. Just seems like a sleep little spot on the way to some where else.

I wonder what they think when a fella on a bike pulls into town and starts taking pictures? I get strange looks in these parts from time t o time also. I'm always polite and just ask about the surrounding's etc.

I hope to get out this weekend and take a few pictures also. They are having a BBQ down at local biker hangout Sunday so might drop in there. Usually a lot of nice bikes there. I'll make it a point to get pictures.

Gas here Fred for High test or 93 octane is $4.19. Almost 20 bucks to fill the tank. That gives me 200 miles to roam before I got to get serious about looking for fuel. Your getting a little more heat down that way then I like. Its just making 70 here today with a nice breeze. think we have one coming in the next few days that will make 75. All the leaves are out here now also. Nice riding the back roads. Some of the farmers will start cutting hay next week if the weather holds. I like the farm smells on the bike. NOthing like the wind in your face, be it on a horse, or bike or boat. It keeps the mind busy and as far as I'm concerned the mind young.

Happy Memorial Fred. Its guys like yourself that put it all on the line that lets those of us now enjoy this country.

George-CT

i never thought of texas having eastern europeans except for the czech folks in ennis just south of dallas,there may be some czech social clubs still around but i believe most have married in with folks from britain.when i drove into corpus christi i noticed some of their street names were slavic.

that roof on the meeting hall is enough to blind you:).

I guess we are sorta spread out down here in Texas if you can drive in any direction to the state line in two hours.

Like you, some folks were leery of me in a few of the places that I have visited and taken some pictures...kept their eye on me like I was some type of motorcycle gang member or something. I just smile and act friendly towards them and wave when I leave the area.

George thanks for reading my story and I hope that you get to ride this holiday weedend. Please have a great day! :)

The glare from the parking lot was terrible and the roof of the building was very bright. David, there are many small towns in South Texas that have large populations of Polish Folks. There are lots of German Folks living up in the Texas Hill Country...Kerrville, Fredericksburg, New Braunfels, and many other towns and cities. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

The few ghost towns we have up here are in poor shape compared with yours. They are ravaged by snows, rain, scavengers, and time. Nothing at all as nice as yours.

Calm seas

Mikie

The only information that I can find about the population of the small town says that the population is less than 100 folks. They are off the beaten path and do not even have a gas station. I would probably call Panna Maria a farming community more than I would call it a town...evidently folks come from miles around to attend church services and events held at the Town Hall. Also, you are correct, there are lots of history in this area...for example, one small town, Kennedy, Texas is a few miles away and was known for gun fights and other bad things in the early days of Texas.

Mike, thanks for reading my story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I very much enjoy seeing the pics and stories of the old west, thank you for your time in putting them up!

I started riding the bike on the back roads and noticed some historical markers along the side of the roads. In turn, that launched my new hobby of visiting old towns to take pictures, and write a story or two. I must admit that I am having a great time visiting these old towns, but I need to get organized so that I can get more meaningful pictures and information about the small towns. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I saw some in BC and there are a few up in the north of Michigan. I think we have a couple in Roscommon.

I look at them and know some interesting things have gone on there but the story's are lost to us'