Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A Myriad of Questions, Part 1

MDMac

I have posted previously with some questions, and now I have some more.

1. Does anyone have a type of "form letter" to use to ask permission to detect on private property? I am sure the owner wants a release of liability, possibly a share agreement, reassurance that no damage will be done and that all holes will be filled. There is probably more.

2. The Non Profit that I work for owns a vacant property. County records show the house was built in 1909. Would it be worth my time to detect it or is it too new?

3. My BH Tracker IV doesn't have a read out screen, only a tone and gauge. How can I set it to detect only coins and jewelry? The manual has vastly different setting for coins than jewelry and I don't want to miss either. When I get the money, would it be better to invest in an upgrade like a White's MXT or similar detector?

4. Do any of you recommend a good magazine that gives helpful articles and other interesting information on detecting?

5. Why do people bury an aluminum can 12 inches down into Colorado Clay. Wouldn't it be easier to just toss it in a trash can than dig a foot deep hole?

I would definitely hunt a lot that had a house built on it in 1909. Good chance of getting silver. Also probably a good chance of finding a ring or two. Just think, there is probably a whole lot of stuff that was dropped on that lot in the last 99 years. I have hunted my yard a couple of times and found clad. My house was built 3 years ago.

I found one and changed it a bit...

Permission Slip
Your name
Your address
Line 2
(xxx) xxx-xxxx
your e-mail address
May 2, 2008
Greetings Sir,
My name is Rich Carey. I have lived in Columbia for 8 years. I am retired from the military after 24 years of service. Normally I would prefer to approach you in person, but I feel that a letter beforehand is far less intrusive than just knocking on your door at an inconvenient time and invading your privacy.

I'm writing to ask for permission to use a metal detector on your property at 726 Oak Drive. I've been engaged in the hobby for about 3 years now and I find that it is a good source of exercise and a great way to meet many interesting people. I realize this may be a strange request, but the thrill of finding old coins, buttons, & etc is very exciting to me.

I want you to know that I respect all properties that I search and always leave them in the same condition that I find them. Normally, the targets that I uncover are no more than four to six inches deep, and I retrieve them in such a way that the ground appears undisturbed.

In addition, I would like to offer my services to you. Perhaps you or someone you know has lost a favorite piece of jewelry or other valued metal object. I would be glad to try and find it for you, just for the thrill of the search.

I have enclosed a self addressed envelope for your convenience and would be happy to meet with you if further discussion is required. If you have any questions, please feel free to call me anytime. My phone number is listed above.

Thank you so much for your consideration, and I

Thank you MagicMan. I copy/pasted that into Word and mailed it out today. There is an old Drive In Theater here that is slated for development into a Condominium Complex. I would like to hunt it before that happens so I mailed the owners today. Let's hope I get a positive response.

Now to save up $1,000 for an MXT and accessories!

Now I know why he calls himself Magicman...:please:.....are you a lawyer by chance?...lol

Nope:usaa: Retired Army... Now I just metal detect and go to shcool two nights a week...