Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A most unusual Ray, and a most unusual courtship.

Terry B

The two years my wife and I lived in Carson City Nevada - '81 & '82 were the most adventuresome years of our lives so far. My wife and I really enjoyed the different arid climate there. We spent a lot of time out in the pinenut desert mountains. We also bought a laundromat, and I worked in / out of a local glass shop. She joined the local chapter of Sweet Adelines as usual, and that's when we met Ray and his wife. They were the most decent, likeable, and talented couple we ever met. You see, Ray met his wife to be at a blackjack table in Reno when he was there on tour with a very popular musical group.

Ray was an extremely good sax player. The musical group discovered and hired him while on tour in Louisiana. He's a Cajun. This woman he met and fell for wouldn't have anything to do with him. He tried everything in the book at first - almost! He tried for days to get her to go out with him on a date. Nothing doing, he was a traveling horn player. Finally, he pulled a trick I'd never heard of, and that turned the tide. He approached her blackjack table one day before stage time and started in on his knees with, " Please, Sweet heart, please come home tonight. We miss you so desperately. The children have been crying themselves to sleep every night, and I can't take it any more. It's been almost a week now since you walked out on us, and I'll do anything to get you to come back home to us". Probably not his exact words, but as close as I remember their story to us.

The table was full of players, and at that point they were giving her the evil eye. She made the mistake of denying she even knew him, and then the enraged players got up, glared at her and left, mumbling snide comments. That did the trick, and she agreed to go out with him. Ray decided not to continue on to the next engagement with the musical group, and the two were soon married. Ray became a minister, and they lived a very happy life for just a few short years, and then tragedy struck. She was diagnosed with bone cancer.

They were devastated. Ray always worshipped the ground his wife walked on, and treated her like royalty. The last time we saw Mr and Mrs Ray Buford was at a special Sweet Adeline performance honoring Mrs Buford. She was going downhill fast, and Ray was pushing her around in a wheelchair. Ray played his saxaphone for us, and of the several tunes he played, We were bowled over by his fancy version of Yakkety Sax. Ray sort of kept to himself after her passing. We haven't heard from him since we moved away, but the Righteous Brothers had to find a new lead sax man after Ray Buford pulled the plug there in Reno when he met his wife to be.

Righteous Brothers???? I used to have every eight track tape they had out along with the albums! He was a pretty good sax player, I would day! I hope his life got happeier again! Thanks for sharing this story, Terry! :)

the Righteous Brothers were a favorite of mine. Very interesting story, thank you, and nice to see you back!:thumbup:

There is a saying about only the good die young. It sounds as though that is what happened here. Many thanks for the story Terry.

Fair winds

M

sorry it ended the way it did.i have often wondered what reno was like,it's location next to lake tahoe makes it interesting,i only see it in pictures,i do remember a few years back the truckee river flooding around there,seemed it wasn't a common occurence.

-- sorry to hear about the guy losing his wife. My grown son was at a convention in Las Vegas, and was playing at the swimming pool with some kids one night, and they all had a great time. Their father -- one of the Righteous Brothers! -- joined the group and gave my son & family tickets to their show on the Strip .. they seemed to be very nice people. However, many other folks in showbiz are a monstrous pain in the posterior! I'd guess that they can't handle success, and conclude that they are somehow superior to the people who made them so wealthy --their fans!

And while it's true that it's the quality of life that means the most, an early departure such as that is a difficult pill to swallow. No answer could ever adequately satisfy the "why ?".

It all comes slamming back to cause emotion when telling the story. I had a lump in my throat and damp eyes. I guess I've become a marshmellow at 60. losing a good friend is like losing a part of yourself. The game of life is short, and he/she who dies after gaining the most friends wins.

We need more of these to read.

Life is short and death is sure. We must be ready to make the transition from the here to the hereafter. But until then, we need to wring every bit of laughter and love from this side of the Jordan.

aj

It is a shame the bad things that happen to good people. I did a google on his name and thins just might be the same feller

http://images.acswebnetworks.com/qimages/acs/ilapp1_6/CMC_flyer_2005.pdf

good horn player, but had some brains and nerve too. Too bad about his wife. Glad thay could share some time together.

Dave