Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A mile beneath the earth....The rest of the story...

Dan-MO

The workers worked throughout the night hoping and praying that someone would be left alive to rescue when they reached the bottom of the shaft.A crowd of people from the town also gathered and stayed the night giving comfort to those whose loved ones were trapped......

Along about dawn a cheer went up from the townspeople.The workers at the shaft paused to find out why.Word had been received that all 20 men had exited their would-be grave at another shaft at another town 10 miles away!My grandfather and another old timer had led the group through a series of abandoned tunnels that they knew from working them years earlier to another exit.They made it several miles through partially collapsed tunnels,sometimes wading neck deep in cold water,through the pitch black darkness with only the aid of a couple of carbide lights to light the way.They were exhausted,cold,muddy and hungry...but they were alive!

After this my grandfather never went back underground.He was given surface work for the next few months until his retirement

A couple of years later the ore played out and another deep rich vein was discovered about 50 miles southwest.The last mine closed in the area known as the

WoW!
That is one to tell the grandkids!
Thanks for sharing the story and a bit of your past.
You wouldn't catch me diving down there!
God bless,
MM

You were very fortunate to know your grandparents, mine were gone before i was a teenager.

Would the water be polluted with lead salts? Or Arsenic which often comes with the ore?

Wayne

I have never heard of any problems with arsenic and I imagine and of the lead salts would have settled to the bottom.All of the small towns in the area use the water as a source of drinking water.

Interesting,one of the bi-products of the years of mining operations were the lead trailings-called "chat" by the locals.For a hundred years it was piled above ground in huge mountain sized piles called "chat dumps"They became local land marks for years children of many generations played on them with no ill effects.It was used to mix with concrete to pour the foundations of hundreds of homes and I and many others in generations before and after me spent many a "romantic" evening as teenagers parked in the seclution of the chat dumps with our girlfriends....:D

A few years ago a new maximum security prison was built and chat was used to bring the site to grade before concrete was poured over the top of it.A convicted murderer sued the state claiming that the chat had high lead content and might endanger his health.A federal judge agreed and forced the state to demolish the new multi-million dollar facility and remove the chat.Meanwhile children still play on the chat dumps to this day....go figure!

many of the scare stories are bogus. One of my earliest memories is of my mother with a hand sprayer doing the whole house with DDT several times a week to keep the many bugs at bay!
We all survived just fine:lol:

About a hundred miles northeast.I live in the boonies....the closest town is the little village of Caledonia.

I remember, when I was a mere lad, we used to go up to Cumberland [on Vancouver Island] and go and explore the old coal mines. Back in those days, the mines were open and we just went exploring. To this day, I still give my head a shake. Those tunnels, like those in your story, went for miles. As well, there were pits and methane gas....Dangers everywhere. But we sure had fun as kids.

Now the pit heads and adits are all cemented in so no one can get in. Safety issues I guess.

Sunny skies

M

...up here.Every year we loose a few lives,when they jump off the rock ledge into the raveen pool.The new visiters to this swimming pool,just are not aware how strong the river currents really are.The locals are usually ok,it's sad but I do not remember one single summer that one person did not get killed.Usually young boys visiting the area.Signs are posted,but still they jump into this pool.I hope it is not repeated again this summer.Anyway glad your story had a happy ending.
ojm bc

n/t

ending! I try to be optimistic, and this was great! Dan, it is not a matter of "allowing" you to write this, we all look forward to your most interesting stories, and they always are. Of course, out heart strings that are attached to our families always make wonderful stories. THANK YOU for sharing it with us, as you did not have to! :)

The guy that runs the dive shop I use goes down at least once a year. I was supposed to go once but it did not work out.

Everyone comments on how clear the water is.

As usual you posted an interesting story and we all learned a little from your memories! Thanks

That's a great story, neighbor. But I'll leave all that cave divin' stuff to you and your buddies up there.

Got my hands full at the beach! :lol:

Thanks for posting a really good story. <><

AJ

I kinda think that this is the best one that you have ever written. I am happy that the story ended the way that it did...your Grandfather was a hero! Sounds like lots of history in that area. Thanks for sharing with the Forum. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)