Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A long way from home!

wal.ellison

Hi everyone
We had an unusual find yesterday. My wife Jill and I were using our X-Terra 705's on an old sporting field in a small village in a rural area of New South Wales, Australia.. After a short time Jill waved me over to show me a find, something out of the ordinary for us. It was a US 1 cent dated 1911. I know you folks over in the States pull these up on a regular basis, but this is the first we've found in Australia through more than 30 years of detecting. Good looking coin, simple but striking design. We often find old British coins because of our British colonial connections, but this was a first. I assumed that US coins would follow the usual practice of showing the head of state for the relevant date. But I was positive the likeness was of Lincoln, and he died in 1864. My reference books at home showed the President in 1911 to be Taft. However another search of Google explained that all 1 cents from 1909 to fairly recent times showed Lincoln. For a minute there we thought we had some rarity! Is this what you folks often refer to as a 'wheaty'? A nice find and Jill's thrilled to bits.

All the best to you all

Wal.

I found one of your 1960's pennies over here Waaayyy up in the sanddunes this summer and thought the same thing..."how did you get so far from home little guy?"
Mud

You are right about the Wheatie. It's in reference to the design on the back of two ears of durham wheat.

That coin was only minted from 1909-1959.
After fifty years, they changed the reverse to the Lincoln Memorial, like the 1960 penny found by mudpuppy.
Kept that design until 2010. Changed composition from copper to zinc in 1983.

Hello To All,
I'm a "Newbie" and after reading copious amounts on this forum for many moons I'm submitting my first post. I bought a Minelab XTerra70 from a lady in Fla. who used it twice. It is basically brand spanking new. I got 3 coils, headphones, carrying bag, and finds bag. All brand new. I must say it is intimidating at first, actually, truth be known it still is. But I'm learning everyday. I'm a USMC Viet Nam Vet and I live in Idaho. I bought it to primarily nugget hunt and it was affordable. Sad to say, no nuggets yet. But I will "improvise, adapt and overcome". I want to thank all of you for sharing your knowledge of the "art of detecting" especially "Digger" Randy Horton. Kudos upon Kudos to you ,Randy, for what you have done for everybody. I know it all comes from the heart. I also have a Whites 6000 Di 3 series Coinmaster that I have fairly well dialed.I bought it a week before I bought my XT70. Last week I found 81 coins in 2 days at a duplex that they tore down ca. 1918.I found a 1900 Barber quarter, a1902 Indian Head penny, a1917,1919 ,1927, 2-1941's,1942 and1944 wheaties. I also found a "mint" 1942 Mercury dime. All the rest were clads. Problem is I found them all with the old 6000. Only had 2 days and didn't feel I was ready to use my XTerra because of the 2 day window before they plowed it under.Here's something cool I learned today. My best friends wife's mother said I could detect her parents old homestead from the 1800's. As far as she knows it's never been detected. I'm stoked! Going up there on Tuesday. I will take the XT and I will stay as long as it takes.Also, the coins I mentioned were all "firsts" .In closing, Thank You all again for sharing your knowledge, that is so COOL !!!!!!!!!! HH to all. Jdubjdub
PS. to wal. Ellison. My last name is Ellison, also.History lesson 101 Lincoln was assasinated in 1865. HH Mate !

Welcome to the X-TERRA Forum jdubjdub. And thanks for the kind words. Sounds like you had pretty good luck with your 6000 so far. I still have a "new in the box" XLPro that I bought a couple years back. When I found out they were going to quit making them, I just kept calling dealers until I found another new one! Come to think of it, I did the same thing with the Advantage! :shrug: And I'm glad I found both! I've said it many times, the discrimination circuitry on the 6000 series of Whites was some of the best ever invented. Combine that analog meter with the 6.59kHz and it is a great detector. Can't imagine not having at least one! With all that in mind, there are benefits to having notch discrimination and multiple tones. I think you'll find the X-70 to be a good companion to your 6000. HH Randy

Hi everyone
Thanks for all the info. Sorry about the date of Lincoln's death being wrong, just hit the wrong key, 4 instead of 5.

Here are 3 that was a long way from home. The silver one is a 1916 German 1/2 Mark. This so far has been one of my favorite finds. The other 2 are Chinese coins. I have no idea of age but seems to be a common find around old rail road tracks and I found these a different locations but very near old rail road tracks. Tim