Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A little jewelry this morning....

stpauli914

Got out this morning for a couple hours. Hunted waist deep to chest deep. Targets were few and far between, but I managed a 0.950 silver ring and a huge hoop earing(junk). The large hotel key was easily 18" but my new Reillys 6" Aluminum scoop made quick work of it :) Hunted from 6am to 8:30am. Theres gold out there somewhere, maybe next time....

Aaron

Coralsfirstbday038.jpg

Nice Find! Still hunting for my first water ring!

Is it stamped 950? Is it heavier than you would think it would be? 925 is silver and 950 is Platinum. Just saying you may have Plat there!

Chris

Good find, Aaron. Like SS said if it is stamped .950 it may be a platinum ring.

Keep up the good work

BCOOP

???? YES!! It is STAMPED 0950!! It is also engraved with initials and a date!! I was thinking it would be weird to engrave a silver ring and it does look like a wedding band.....How can I tell for sure? I don't have enough experience with the weight of it to tell you wether its heavier than silver or not. It is not very thick.

Aaron

Nice! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you...hope its Platinum!! If you don't mind...what machine were you running? I need to find someone with a Platinum ring and test it with my V3i and my AT Pro to see where the numbers read....I believe I read somewhere that Platinum is a poor conductor and reads pretty low VDI numbers?!?

Compare the ring with a gold ring of similar size, a Platinum ring will seem much heavier in the palm of your hand than either gold or silver.

On the inside of the ring it will usually be stamped PT or PLAT, if the PT is followed by letters then it is an alloy but contains platinum.

A silver ring will show signs of tarnish where a platinum ring will not. If there are some signs of tarnish most likely it is silver.

If your still unsure then take it to a jeweler.

BCOOP

Not really any sign of Tarnish. As for weight I have nothing similar in gold or silver to compare it to. It has decent weight in my palm. No PL or PLAT stamp only what is seen here. Like I said it looks like a wedding band. It is engraved with a name and date so I would think if it was a wedding band it would be something other than silver? I don't know enough about any other possible metals it could be.

Heres the stamp:

Platinum004.jpg

Platinum005.jpg

Aaron

It very well may be platinum. Platinum has more of a stainless steel mirror finish to it than silver rings. If nothing else take it to a couple different jewelers, and don't let them steal it from you.

BCOOP

If you have a detector with discrimination ability, run your coil over it and a similar sized silver ring; if your new one discriminates out early, then you can be fairly sure it is platinum.

Furious T, You brought up something I forgot to mention. This ring didn't give the normal high silver tone on my Excal. It almost had a multi tone to it like a cap sometimes has. I thought It was a cap before it came up in the scoop. I will go through my wifes jewelry and try and find something of similar size in silver to compare. Thanks.

Aaron

Itsaawgood, I'm running an Excal 2. If you are anywhere in the Tampa Bay area than you are welcome to meet up with me and test the numbers on your machine. I just sold an AT Pro a few weeks ago or I would give you the number myself :)

Aaron

Just ordered a gold/silver/platinum acid test kit on ebay. I'll let everyone know the results when it comes in. Keep your fingers crossed for me :) Whats Platinum selling for scrap wise these days? I will weigh the ring tomorrow at work. As I said it is kind of thin and I will guess 3.5-4 grams. Keeps the blood flowing and the motivation up!!

Aaron

10 Grams your looking at about $553.00

BCOOP

Look at this link

http://www.dendritics.com/scales/metal-calc.asp

Bcoop, I will weigh it at work tomorrow, but It doesn't feel as heavy as my 5.1g gold ring I found so I am going to guess 3.5 to 4.5 Grams. It is a mans size but it is fairly thin contributing to it's lower weight. If it was as thick as my 14K gold ring I am sure it would be in the 10 gram range. Man, I am ready to go hunting again soon!!!!

Thanks to everyone for your motivation! My wife is happy that this hobby isn't costing me any money(other than initially) and she is patiently waiting for me to find something she can wear :)

Aaron

Pretty sure you have a Platinum ring there buddy. Platinum does sound like a trashy signal on the excal.

Congrats on the ring either way.

Chris