Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A little humor

C.J.M.

Remember the good old days guys--------:LOL: Times have really changed .Check out this pictures:
woolworths.jpg
drive inn.jpg
AandP2.jpg
coke box.jpg
outhouse.jpg

Some of the essentials of the outhouse were SEARS AND ROEBUCK catalog plus can you guess what the matches were for:LOL:Can you remember the "Chamber Maid" :giggle: and people think they have it rough now:laugh: 40's and 50's top wages for a grown man were 90 cents an hour and maybe if you had a High school education $ 1.25 an hour and NO FREE NOTHING :thumbdown: Everyone worked by the sweat of their brow all the kids got hand me downs and the really poor families made dresses and shirts from FLOWER SACKS😧 Now they are wearing jeans with wholes all over and pay $50 a pair:wacko:

I fondly remember when my hourly pay went from fifty cents an hour to a whole dollar. I thought that i was rich. Joined with my Grandfather one summer to work the hay fields for a gentleman. He asked me how much i made and i said a dollar an hour. When i got my pay check it was twice what i expected. I told him that i thought that he had made a mistake. He said What Not enough? I said no sir too much. He said when i hired you i thought that i was hiring a Boy. You have been doing a mans work and you deserve a mans pay. I did not argue with him. For years the place we lived was five rooms and a path. One did not tarry long in the winter in that little brown building

Some of the essentials of the outhouse were SEARS AND ROEBUCK catalog plus can you guess what the matches were for:LOL:Can you remember the "Chamber Maid" :giggle: and people think they have it rough now:laugh: 40's and 50's top wages for a grown man were 90 cents an hour and maybe if you had a High school education $ 1.25 an hour and NO FREE NOTHING :thumbdown: Everyone worked by the sweat of their brow all the kids got hand me downs and the really poor families made dresses and shirts from FLOWER SACKS😧 Now they are wearing jeans with wholes all over and pay $50 a pair:wacko:

That is so true! Flour sacks were made with printed Flowers & other designs like yard goods, only dual purpose--for baking biscuits, cakes & etc. & I wore dresses that my mom made & sewed for both her & me! I graduated highschool in 1953 & my first job was working in the office of the Alco Valve factory making $150.00 a month or less & rec a paycheck twice a month; not paid by the hour! But as someone who lived dirt poor until then, I thought I was RICH! :rofl:I had a chance to go to college but I was anxious to get out on my own & buy things (like nice clothes) that I didn't have before, as most were home-made or Hand-me-downs! I guess I could have done better with college--become a teacher like the other girls who rec their chance to be able to go & did! Never know how different my life could have been with the chance of meeting other men &/or marrying one of them! Too Late to regret now--what is past is gone!

I serve & love Jesus & that is what counts from here through eternity! Also when my brother had holes in his jeans, it was an embarrassment for that meant we were poor farmers & mom would patch the holes but we still looked poor compared to the town kids who wore nicer looking clothes I can't believe how wearing JEANS with not just holes but with the knee areas torn open & to pay ungodly prices is beyond me--all I can say is spoiled brats because of working parents making good wages! Dear Lord, Please help Your people overcome this INSANITY! Amen! :thumbup: Ma

Last edited:
Theres an old Drive In restuarant ,, South 21 ,, in the town I'm from, been there as long as I can remember. I found an old newspaper years ago. Looking thru it , I found a coupon for their Big boy cheeseburger, fries and coke for 50 cents. At that time, that same burger meal was about 6-7 bucks. I was going to take that coupon up there and see if they would have honored it. They probably would have , just for nostalgic reasons.
My mom told the story of her mom making her a dress out of the old potato sacks when she was younger,, she said she loved that dress ,, mom told everyone that her mom made it for her ,, her mom told her not to tell people she made her the dress ,, that people would think they were poor ,, but not thinking about it ,, in her little town,, everybody was poor.
Thanks all for sharing your stories ,, takes me back to better times.

Yep, young folks have no idea of what we went through ,times were rough! As a young man at the age 10 I had several jobs,news paper boy,picked cotton, and on Saturdays i Shined shoes and made nearly $ 5.00 in half a day.In now days you would not catch a white boy doing no such thing:rolleyes:.The thing was money was money and no one was was going to give it to you for free:eek:I was never lazy and hard times was all we knew it was a different age nothing came easy.YEP, Betty spoiled brats are a nickle a dozen now days ,but such is life if they only knew how people are starving all over this world .Thank you JESUS one day we will be walking on streets of gold and the past will be forgotten:)

Theres an old Drive In restuarant ,, South 21 ,, in the town I'm from, been there as long as I can remember. I found an old newspaper years ago. Looking thru it , I found a coupon for their Big boy cheeseburger, fries and coke for 50 cents. At that time, that same burger meal was about 6-7 bucks. I was going to take that coupon up there and see if they would have honored it. They probably would have , just for nostalgic reasons.
My mom told the story of her mom making her a dress out of the old potato sacks when she was younger,, she said she loved that dress ,, mom told everyone that her mom made it for her ,, her mom told her not to tell people she made her the dress ,, that people would think they were poor ,, but not thinking about it ,, in her little town,, everybody was poor.
Thanks all for sharing your stories ,, takes me back to better times.

What town did you live in, as I lived on a farm 6-1/2 miles ot of Bunker, MO & we travelled Highway 21 to go back & forth to ST. Louis, MO! But of course there are many small towns with the same named highways?? Ma Betty

Yep, young folks have no idea of what we went through ,times were rough! As a young man at the age 10 I had several jobs,news paper boy,picked cotton, and on Saturdays i Shined shoes and made nearly $ 5.00 in half a day.In now days you would not catch a white boy doing no such thing:rolleyes:.The thing was money was money and no one was was going to give it to you for free:eek:I was never lazy and hard times was all we knew it was a different age nothing came easy.YEP, Betty spoiled brats are a nickle a dozen now days ,but such is life if they only knew how people are starving all over this world .Thank you JESUS one day we will be walking on streets of gold and the past will be forgotten:)

Oh, they will know if they live long enough, because The Great Tribulation is coming & will be worse than the Great Depression of 1920's & 30's. My dad did lots of jobs as a child. all that he could get, & picked up potatoes when only nine & they each had rows & if not finished by quitting time, the ones who finished could get the other child's row to add to his & dad did as a fast & hard worker! Mom & dad were always workers & never looked upon others for their provisions & that's why they both died young --in their early 70's! I also worked on the farm & could never be lazy--Just not allowed! Farming was from morning light to the dark of night & the animals always had to be cared for rain, snow or shine! Many jobs were hard; especially for children & those who were sickly & unhealthy like Coal Miners & ETC! But still the same for many poor & homeless caused by GOV rules & regulations & diseases of all kinds! Difficult to hold jobs & work as needed when the body doesn't cooperate! May Jesus help & give them enduring strength to overcome & live lives for Him, from Whom all blessings flow! Amen! Ma

What town did you live in, as I lived on a farm 6-1/2 miles ot of Bunker, MO & we travelled Highway 21 to go back & forth to ST. Louis, MO! But of course there are many small towns with the same named highways?? Ma Betty
This is in NC ,, we did have a hwy 21,,, but the restaurant was not on that route ,, never did know how it got its name ,, but it was a popular little place ,,

This is in NC ,, we did have a hwy 21,,, but the restaurant was not on that route ,, never did know how it got its name ,, but it was a popular little place ,,

We had a little place just out of St. Lous, Mo, called the Palace of Poison. Don't know how it got its name but maybe it was because of the coffee they served late at night for it was bitter & black--my former husband used to stop there for coffee when we would be going to the country after work but I didn't drink coffee then or couldn't drink it, as I didn't drink the horrible stuff until I was age 30 or older because the coffee my mom made for dad was bitter & black--She put lots of cream in hers & dad would say, mom likes a little coffee in her cream. :rolleyes: Made over & over by boiling the same coffee grounds! YUCK! Ma Betty