Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A Light In The World for Friday Jan 30

SeniorSeeker

Inside Story~ NAD: Alaska

A Light in the World

Heather Ueeck grew up in Delta Junction, a small town at the end of the Alaska Highway. As a child, Heather loved going to camp every summer, and kept a record of her experiences, listing her daily activities. Early on she wrote, And of course we had to do worship, and that was dumb.

But as the years went by, camp worships became more meaningful to Heather. One worship that made a big impression involved a candle and a balloon. They held a balloon over a lit candle and the balloon popped right away. Then they put water into another balloon and held it over the candle, and it didn’t pop! The presenter explained that we are like the balloon and the water represents Christ. If we have Christ in us, He calms us and gives us peace and strength–He’s a resource that we can latch on to.

Heather now tries to pass on these lessons to campers as she works at Camp Polaris. The kids aren’t Adventists, and they don’t come from the best families. They aren’t used to discipline, to structure, and people caring about them. They often act up. Sometimes it seems as if they hate camp, but they keep coming back. Even with the struggles, underneath they realize that we actually care about them.

Heather admits that working at Camp Polaris has taught her patience. It’s my job to lead the kids toward God. Patience and flexibility are so important. And trusting in God. It’s given me a strong tool for facing situations that will come up in my life–just learning to deal with the things that this world throws at you. It’s given me appreciation for others who have served me, and has given me the attitude that I want to help other people and be a light in the world.

Camp Polaris is in need of updated facilities, such as “bear-proof cabins,” says Heather. And now that the Moodys have left, the only way to ferry the children to camp is by making several 1 ½ hour trips by small boat. Restroom and bathing facilities include 2 outhouses, a steam sauna, and the icy waters of Lake Aleknagik.

But the primitive accommodations are not a deterrent for Heather. I’ve lived in Alaska all my life, she says, and it [Camp Polaris] is the most isolated I’ve ever been. But, it’s definitely a place where you can feel very close to God. I really love it up there.