Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A lead on a possible popular water/beach site:detecting::crazy:

warthog

....I've got an E-mail, into a campground/ swimming beach site about 10 miles from my house, that's VERY popular with the summer crowds, and one of the hosts to a series of concert events to THOUSANDS, of concert attendees, over a span of 2 weeks, mid June, to July 3rd, they are CLOSED, to general admission for camping/swimming, to accommodate SELLOUT crowds.........I asked them if metal detecting was/is allowed on the beach/in the water, after they open to the public July 4th, I'm waiting for an answer, I told them my policy is to return any and all valuables to the rightful owner, if anything is reported lost, and removing all trash I find.Who knows?, worth a try, I think......There is a sandbar stretching all the way across this lake, 'attracting kids of all ages', according to them....'Kids', losing jewelry, wallets, necklaces, rings, bracelets........My Fisher 1280X will be back in my hands way before then, after being overhauled.The future looks GREAT: If not there, somewhere.........:fisher::rofl:........

I will pray that you get the permission. It sounds like it will keep you busy for awhile. Your excitement is very contagious. It makes me smile. :)

Warthog, does the lake have a public park or public boat launch on it? If so NOBODY owns the lake. The riparian rights are clear in Michigan. Take if from a guy that has had over 30 encounters from the police, has had 6 citations and all have been dismissed. PM me if you want any information. I don't mind helping others stick up for their rights in Michigan.

If indeed it is a totally private lake then they own a pie shaped piece of land all the way to the center. BUT if they allow the public to go in and swim, I don't know how they can ban detecting. Interesting. Does their property encompass the whole lake?

Scuba, I wonder why Warthog doesn't answer your question ? I too wondered the same thing. Someone sends an email to a beach asking "can I metal detect?". Assuming the beach isn't a private beach, and assuming there's no express law that says "no metal detecting", then was it really even necessary to ask "Can I ?" in the first place ?

How does Warthog know if he didn't get a totally arbitrary whimsical answer, where there's no law or rule that truly says "no md'ing". I've seen this happen before. And if you press them and say "But where is that written?", they refer you to something strange like rules that forbid "harvest/collect". Or "alter/deface". Yet prior to that, no one ever had an issue.

Warthog might have been the latest victim of "no one cared till you asked" psychology. Unless, of course, it's a private beach. Then sure, ask away.

But based on the massive crowds he alluded to "Concerts" and "thousands", etc... : It seems that "access" is not an issue (lest how else do the massive crowds get there and go there?). And as such, those massive crowds do all kinds of recreational things, right ? Eg.: fly frisbees, dig sand castles, swim, sunbathe, listen to concerts, drink sodas, bird watch, etc.... I wonder why md'ing needs permission ? Why isn't this just as innocuous as the other normal uses of the beach ?

Some folks just don't respond to me. No problem. If they don't want my help I don't butt in.

scubadetector said:
Some folks just don't respond to me. No problem. If they don't want my help I don't butt in.

Any time you "butt in", it's usually sound sage input :) I always like your angle on things.