Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A hunt of a lifetime....Part 2

Dan-MO

Before it was full light I saw them heading our way from several hundred yards up the bottom -a group of 8 deer without a buck in the bunch.That was ok because does are legal game and the conservation dept even encourages the taking of does due to overpopulation in our area.I gently nudged the boy awake and pointed at the deer who were still far away but feeding up the bottom on a course that would lead them right to us.I whispered to him to set very still and get ready-but not to fire until I told him to.

His eyes got as big as saucers when he saw the deer coming slowly toward us.I could tell by looking at that he was getting excited. When they went out of sight in a small draw about 75 yards away from us-I whispered for him to raise the rifle and take the first good shot he had when they came out-they would only be about 50 yards away-in seconds that seemed like hours the first of the deer -a small doe stepped out into the open and instantly became alarmed. She must have winded us as she stared right at us and twitched her tail and stomped her front feet on the ground. I knew she would bolt at any second-and I whispered shoot!

At the roar of the rifle I clearly saw a piece of pine bark explode off a tree just above and behind the deer-he had shot high and missed. Meanwhile deer were running everywhere-one ran within 10 feet of where we sat as he struggled to reload the single shot. All to soon they were gone and the woods got quiet. I was mentally kicking myself - in the short amount of time we had target practiced all of his shots had been taken off a rest with him in a standing position.When his chance came,he had to shoot freehanded from a sitting position-not much problem for a experienced shooter-but a real challenge for a little boy holding the heavy (for him) rifle at the ready position for several seconds before the shot.

He was near tears.I gave him a hug and told him that the one he shot at was too small anyway and I was SURE we would find a bigger one later in the day.In my mind I had my doubts

Missed by a mile!:rofl:

While my heart goes out to you all, you must remember that this is his first deer hunt and shooting a new rifle to boot! I look forward to the next part and hope that his misforture changes for the better. Dan, you are a good writer! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

...nothing will ever take it away from him.

I want to thank you for not being an "absentee grandfather." That boy has the full benefit of a godly, loving grandfather. I hope he does not ever take that for granted.

The heritage I have I owe directly to my daddy and my granddaddy and those before him probably. Today is the first day of my last vacation before I retire. I do not have to go back until the 13th of November. Peak rut will be next week down here.

For any true sportsman, the kill is not all there is to this hunting thing. The quest, the interaction between family members, the preparation--man--it all adds up to the grand picture. For me the pursuit is the real deal. If I kill a deer, that's good. But all the time--every time I'm in the woods I thank the good Lord above for giving me a daddy that loved me enough the write what he knew of the water and the woods on the hearts of his boys (and girl). Because of that his legacy will last me a lifetime.

Dan, there is NEVER a time that I go in the woods that I don't think of my daddy! It's all because he loved me so much to share the more wonderful things of his life with me. And that's what you're doing with this young man. Daddy always told us the hunt was not complete unless we had a Frostie Root Beer and a Hostess Cup Cake with us on the hunt. What a memory!

Daddy was the supreme memory builder and guess what????? You are too.

I look forward to the next part of the story, but really, you have blessed me already with the writings of your obvious love for your grandson.

As Fred would say, "You can ride fence with me anytime." Thanks, so much, for allowing me to come along on this one.

your buddy,

aj

that he learned a good lesson that day. They call it hunting and not killing. It ain't easy.

Killing game is just the icing on the cake. Being in the woods with grandpa is wonderful!

n/t

n/t

Dan great story and great job showing the new generation the joys of hunting. Tell your grandson that the first shot of the season will always feel the same. My first shot for the 1st shotgun season here in Iowa this year was a miss.The memories you are helping him build will be there forever.