Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A few pics of the salt mine....Will make a couple of posts to show a few more pics...

The first walkway entrance leading to the mine. This walkway is approx. twenty feet from the mancage that brings you underground.[attachment 28429 DSC02084.JPG]
The first drift opening and beginning point where we all proceed from. The vehicles are man transport buses. Jeeps, tractors and gators are the main means of transport to and from a jobsite.[attachment 28433 DSC02014.JPG]
This pic shows one of about a dozen conveyor belt lines. These carry the salt to #1 shaft where it is hoisted to surface.[attachment 28434 DSC02074.JPG]
This is the service truck I drive. It is sitting in a bay entrance at our maintenance shop. The lighting is better here, hence the clearer pic. I drive roughly twenty to thirty kilometers per shift in doing my job.[attachment 28435 DSC02069.JPG]
This is called an LHD (load-haul-dump). There are five of these machines underground of which three are operating twenty hours a day. These, as with most all equipment, are cut into peices to be lowered underground and then re-assembled once they are there. Incidentally, the tires for these machines stand over six feet tall.[attachment 28438 DSC02066.JPG]
Here's one dumping it's load into a feederbreaker. Had a few clearer pics but the kB's were too high. See ya for one more round of pics !

i live about 8 miles from a salt mine at grand saline,tx.don't know how deep it is but they run some good sized front end loaders there.think it's been going for well over a hundred years and they talk like it could go a couple of hundred more.

that floor under the LHD pic looks like concrete. Is it? or just a painted salt floor??

Dave

back in the 40's and 50's a lot of schools would take tours through the Detroit salt mines. I understand they stopped that many years ago and I missed out. Wish I had gone

How deep are they? Are these the same ones? I understand that they are the biggest salt mines on the planet

these pictures, especially the fifth one! He calls it a really big "dump chine".

Your posts brought something to me that I have never seen before! thanks so much for sharing with us! :)

n/t

It would be too difficult to get anything to sit level without it. Thousands of bags of concrete mix. Literally !!

and met in the middle under the Detroit river. Of course a barrier of salt was left by both sides. We are both one-thousand feet deep and the quality of salt at our sites is the best there is. And yes, they are a couple of the biggest mines to be had. And could still go on for yrs. to come. Too bad you didn't make that tour. They are few and far between now.

kill your lights in a remote spot of the mine. Years back a newbie went for a spin on a tractor during his break and forgot to bring his miners lamp. Well, he hit a bump and lost his lights in an old area and it took two eight man crews six hours to find him. Poor guy was scared $hitle$$!