Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A few old ranch pictures taken today............

Kelley (Texas)

I came across what was left of this old ranch while riding a few remote back roads earlier today. If you look in the background of some of these photos, you will see what the country side looks like in this area.

This is a picture of an old pole barn with a windmill behind it. These old windmills were used to pump water from a well into a tank so that the cows would have water to drink. Sure enough, there was a water tank on the other side of the pole barn, but I could not work it into the picture and still show the windmill.
[attachment 127855 OldBarnwithWindmill.jpg]

This is a picture of the holding pens...the work area for working and shipping cows. In the picture you see the entire holding pen complete with a shed for keeping tools, a loading ramp used for loading cattle onto a trailer, and also shown is a squeeze chute minus the head gate. The squeeze chute with the head gate is used when you need to doctor or brand a cow...the head is held by the head gate and the body held by the sides of the squeeze chute. This allows you to safely work on the cow...it can not move much when held this way. The picture does not show it, but the channel leading to the squeeze chute will usually have slanted walls or fence rails...narrow at the bottom and slightly wider at the top. This will prevent the cow from turning around while enroute to the squeeze chute.
[attachment 127856 Cowloadingpenwithchute_2.jpg]

This is a picture of a common old feeder...you put hay in there or sometimes some pellets. It cuts down on waste. Now days, it is common to use "round" bales of hay for feeding the cows and there is a three rail metal circle fence that is often placed around the "round" bale to prevent waste.
[attachment 127857 cowfeeder.jpg]

Folks, my life has not been filled with exciting things like bears, or stories about boats on the seas...I am just a common man that has had a good life down here in South Texas. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

this boy, would not have a clue. The narrow fence for a chute, smart! Thanks for the pictures and info! :thumbup:

Stories of the sea are, at least to my mind they are. And your stories and pictures of Texas countryside are exciting to me. They demonstrate a determination and work ethic that makes up the spirit of the US.

Keep those pictures and stories coming. :thumbup:

calm seas

Mike

i just said as i often do, how i love the Sea, but......i also love the Prairie and Ranch country! This would be the advantage for me if i was filthy rich......i could have both whenever i wanted! Your part of the country would be prime on my agenda to tour, with a guide like you friend!
The sight of a simple country windmill will stir me every time and the old buildings bring good memories also!
Thanks Fred:beers:

Hi Fred,

Gettin a little late for wild flowers isn't it?

I notice there are none in the pics.

Nice shots Friend and they do stir up feelings of long ago for me!

Many thanks for your fine photographs!

CJ

I have never rode the range on a horse, checked fence or bred Pigs like you cowpokes!! It looks like the breeding of pigs could be a dangerous thing if there is an electric fence around.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i6.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid6.photobucket.com/albums/y206/RoyalOttmar/Videos/Safety_Incident.flv">

I love the pictures of your country. It is stuff you just don't see from the freeway or from 25,000 ft! Thanks for posting them

I took those pictures yesterday and the area is really dry. You know it is dry when you turn the water sprinkler on and observe the neighborhood cats sharing the water with the wild birds as they all try to cool off. Kelley (Texas) :)