Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A few Equinox finds from yesterday...

fwcrawford

I got out to do a little detecting yesterday and the weather was perfect.. up in the upper 60's.
Not sure how many more of those days are left, and rain in the forecast for the next couple of days, but mild outside.
I went to an old high school sports field that has given up a few silver dimes recently and decided this site would be my best bet.
I got a wheat penny very soon and not long after finding a few deep clad coins, I got the '51 quarter.
Shortly after a few more wheats and clad, I got another quarter.. '58.
Been a while since I've found a silver quarter and first time to find two in one hunt.
A little while later I got a nice signal, and was pretty sure it was going to be a silver dime which it was.. a '62 Rosie.
While detecting shortly after the second silver quarter was found, I got a deep signal and when I recovered the target, it looked like a silver dime, but was a wheat penny that had been plated and made into a pendant.
The little loop broke off later while cleaning it off.
I think it is an actual wheat penny that has been made into a pendant by someone.
The other odd find of the day was the little liberty head.... it is the exact size of the image on a mercury dime and while enlarging the photo, I could actually make out some of the details that are on the back of it that would also be on the coin.
Not sure what they used it for, but it has two small posts on the rear for mounting it or fastening it to something.
Kind of curious to see if anyone else has come across something like this.
It took some skill and patience to perform this task and they even shaped it into a concave shape.
Thanks for looking!!

Outstanding work! So many interesting stories, most we won't know makes it a great hobby or obsession.

Congrats!

You did real well Felix!! That Merc was most likely made for a necklace. I wonder what else is in that field waiting for you?

Nice finds Felix I got out today ground nice and soft almost 50 again I’ll take it got 4 more silvers today and a half dollar!
Mark

fwcrawford said:
The other odd find of the day was the little liberty head.... it is the exact size of the image on a mercury dime and while enlarging the photo, I could actually make out some of the details that are on the back of it that would also be on the coin.
Not sure what they used it for, but it has two small posts on the rear for mounting it or fastening it to something.
Kind of curious to see if anyone else has come across something like this.
It took some skill and patience to perform this task and they even shaped it into a concave shape.
Thanks for looking!!

I'll admit that in all my years hunting, I've never found anything like it....that's an interesting first.
Looks like someone went to a lot of trouble/work cutting out the head from a dime and shaping it.

There was a period of time in the '70s when everyone was encapsulating things in acrylic to make paper weights and knick-knacks.
I've still got my 'cube of shiny pennies' I made back then, but I think your find is easily more interesting...

Nice !
:)
mike

Looks like a Damn Sweet Day there Brother!!!!!! Looks like someone started carving out the head of an mercury dime!!!! I think your settling in to the saddle of that NOX.... Congrats Buddy!!!!

Mike K "Ohio"

Very cool find on that Mercury head...was probably somebody’s art project or metal shop project...very unique...