Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A few cow stories...............

Kelley (Texas)

Earlier this evening as I sat on the tail gate of my pickup truck watching some of the neighborhood boys play football in the street in front of our house, my mind started drifting off...I started thinking about some good memories involving cows and ranching. A few of the boys noticed that I was not paying attention to their game...I had been designated as the official referee and that is why the game was being played in front of our house. They walked over to the truck and asked me if I was feeling OK. I told them that I was just fine, that I was only reflecting back to my ranching days. That was the end of the football game as they all gathered around asking me to tell them a few stories. I reminded them that the last time that I told them some stories, ghost stories, that some of their parents were not too happy with me because a few of them were scared to go outside after dark for a few days. It seems that these boys always end up at our house and then I get into some type of trouble with their parents...like the time that I helped them make some slingshots.

I told them the story about the time that our neighbor to the East of us, Calvin Baker, bought a new Ford truck. Calvin was proud of that truck and stopped by our place before he went home...just had to show us the new truck. I must admit, this was a beautiful truck...two tone brown and tan with a flat black cattle guard on the front. We stood around for close to an hour admiring his new truck before his wife called and asked if we had seen him drive by the house. When we told her that he was at our house, she told us to tell him to get home, like now. Wow, she was like that most of the time...a bossy lady! A few days later, I saw Calvin coming up the road...his new truck was a wreck. I came to find out that he had loaded some square bales of hay in the bed of the truck, drove out to his pasture to feed the cows. Unfortunately, he could not get the hay off the truck fast enough and they butted his truck wanting the hay. There were dents up and down both sides of that truck...it looked horrible. He got pretty angry at me for laughing, but I just could not help myself. Months later, he laughed about it too!

I told them about the time that some of our cows tore a fence down and wrecked Debbie's garden. I was in town when this happened and did not actually witness the attack on the garden, but I sure saw the destruction when I arrived home. According to Debbie, the ringleader was a cow that we called Fat Azz because this cow was so fat that it's legs looked like toothpicks...that cow was as wide as it was tall. It was a good cow, always had a good calf every spring. Debbie saw Fat Azz push against the fence, finally breaking the wire, and lead several other cows through the new opening in the fence. She tried to chase them out of the garden with a hoe, if the truth was told she probably wanted to kill them, but they just dodged her and took bites out of the plants as they wrecked everything. She said that when they heard me coming up the road that they went back through the fence and out into the pasture. As I pulled up to the house, they ran into the brush at the far end of the pasture. I spent several hours fixing that fence and at the same time trying to calm Debbie down...she wanted me to load up Fat Azz and take her to market the next day. Debbie and I spent several days planting and ended up with a good vegetable crop.

Then Tyler asked me about a rope that I had hanging in the garage. The next thirty minutes was spent trying to show those boys how to hold and throw a rope for roping a calf. I told them a few stories about riding back into the brush looking for lost mama cows with calves, but had to stop because our daughter-in-law Heather arrived with our grandson. I told the boys that I would tell them some more stories in a few days. I took my grandson, Brayden into the house and to the study, and placed him on my saddle. That boy loves to sit in that saddle...he is going to be a good cowboy some day! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

Darn cows are smart.......headin' out for sanctuary when they heard your truck. :rofl: Poor Deb wasn't gonna tolerate that kind of disrespect from fat azz, was she ?:rofl: And that poor guys new pick-up :rofl: How can you not laugh about that ? What's left to do anyways but cry ? :lol: Hilarious stories Fed.........let's hear some more when you get the chance !:lol:

Cows and gardens don't mix, i left the gate open once, that was hard to cover up!:biggrin: Thanks for the memories Fred:clapping:

have you seen the commerical of the guy cutting a tree down and it falling on his car because he parked it in the way?thats what i thought about when i read about calvin.

I would never get tired of hearing those type stories! Takes me back.....Thanks for the post!

Funny stuff Fred!!

Well, in many ways, this story is similar to that song.. Young boys listening to an old cowboys tales... parental disapproval. Good stories.

I can identify with the truck incident. To this day, when we go out to feed the horses, sometimes they crowd around and push. Not to the extent that cattle can do it.... but enough to be uncomfortable.

Fair winds

Mikie

For some reason, they especially like to hear ghost stories. One or two will spot me sitting on the tail gate of the pickup truck and within a short period of time there will be a half a dozen or so gathered around...kinda funny. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Fat Azz lived to be about 22 years old, then died of old age. She did not show up one morning and I found her down by one of the stock tanks. A friend of ours, Rudy Vara, had a backhoe and we buried her at the rear of the west pasture where she often hung out to eat a patch of Coastal Bermuda grass. That cow was sorta a family pet, a favorite with the family. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I try to keep a low profile in regards to the motorcycle because of their ages...I do not have the riding skill to give them a ride on it, nor would I ever forgive myself if one of them got hurt.

These boys are involved in sports at the moment. The garbage truck hit the basketball goal of the boy that lives next door. This is a portable basketball goal, you roll it down onto the edge of the street when you want to use it. We tried to fix it, but finally gave up...I piled a couple of the boys in the pickup truck and we went to the local sporting goods store and I bought them a new one. I sat out there drinking coffee while they assembled it...we all had a good time.

I get disturbed sometimes because some of the neighbors are sorta not too friendly to these boys and fuss at them if they walk on their grass or something...I almost think that they do not like kids. Last year a woman down the block, Mrs. Tate, got pizzed at me because I bought some kites for the boys and one of the kites ended up in her tree. She is just an old fat grumpy woman that likes to complain. She has a dog that is just as ugly and fat as her...I do not like that dog. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I will be on the look out for it...sounds like it would be a funny commercial. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

It is not very funny at the time the crime is committed, but later you see the humor in it. It seems like a cow is always testing a fence, especially if there is a garden or good pasture on the other side. I spent many an hour fixing a broken fence. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I will never forget about those cows wrecking that garden...Debbie was really angry at them. I suspect that she was viewing Fat Azz as being Bar-B-Que for a family get together. We have some great memories and I have no regrets...life has been good to us. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

about our ranching days. I now have several hundred pictures stored on this computer, but will have to edit and eliminate some of them. Some day it will be passed on to our Grandson. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

later but you won't run the risk of loosing any! I had a bunch stored on the hard drive which promptly crashed and lost over half of them!

at your feet listening to your stories! They probably never knew a real cowboy! That's sweet of you to take interest in them also! :)