Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A Few Arkansas Pointsl

Arkie John

Well, I know I'm outta my league but I thought I'd show my ENTIRE collection. It won't take long. :lol:

Few as they are, they are each very special.

Here's an overall view.
[attachment 35941 arrowheads003.jpg]
The center one in the middle is special because I found it with Daddy while turkey hunting in 1975.
[attachment 35942 arrowheads007.jpg]
Here's a better view of it. It's the one on the right. When I spied it, I said, "Hey Daddy! We're not the FIRST one's to hunt THIS ridge!" He just smiled as he held it in his calloused hands.
[attachment 35943 arrowheads005.jpg]
Here's a knife I found right on top of the ground within a half mile of the Hilltop. Such a beautiful color. I hear it is achieved by heat treating the stone before chipping.
[attachment 35944 arrowheads004.jpg]
Here's a pretty-colored one too. Comes from Sissy's Saline River.
[attachment 35945 arrowheads006.jpg]
Two more, from the North Fork of the Saline.
[attachment 35946 arrowheads009.jpg]
Finally, here's an odd one I found in a 40-acre field behind the Hilltop. I rookie must have make this one. I can't see how it could ever penetrate ANYTHING.

So, here you have it folks...my vast collection. But they are each special, being made by a person--a real human being--so long ago.

Thanks for comin' along! <><

aj

The size of the collection is not what is important...what is important is the memory of what each arrowhead means to you. Each of your arrowheads have a special meaning and represent something special in your life at the time that you found it. I am honored that you shared your collection with us. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

...I am honored, Fred, that you liked them.

It's so strange each time I find one. I wonder what they were thinking, what their wants and needs were. I see a point that is blunted and I wonder if it is an 'impact' fracture or just a mistake.

I wonder if the point had been embedded in an animal long ago and it just got away. I wonder of the anguish the person must have had when he realize he had lost such a perfect point.

They're just spiritual...magical, in a sense.

I'm so glad you liked them. I've been meaning to post them forever but didn't know how until yesterday. Have a great evening buddy. <><

aj

Sure glad you liked them.

Just keep your eyes to the ground after a good rain, you'll find some. After all, you live in God's country! <><

aj

...whenever they plow those fields by your house. So keep an eye out. After the fields are plowed and a good rain gimme a call and we'll go for it.

It's about time we found a few together.

ily,

Johnboy

and open ground between the river and a bluff. On top of a bluff is also a good spot to look. Most the time, the arrowhead will not be completely exposed, so look for odd shapes and discolored rocks. If you will take an old broom handle, and put a headless nail in one end, you will not have to bend over so much. Just use the broom handle to flip the suspected arrowhead rock. I am excited knowing that you and Sunny may spend some time looking for arrowheads. Some of the most beautiful arrowheads I have seen have come from Arkansas. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Are they quartz? I am looking forward to going out again this year. Our lake is dropping and by April of next year, it will be at its' lowest point. But from now, until then, the hunting gets better and better!!! :)

just for laughs, I went and bought a gas powered leaf blower. I figured that I can blow some of the sand away on the prime areas [like walkers Point... That is where we find most of the agate, crystal and clear chert ones] If it works, I will let you know.

fair winds

M

I'm not a geologist, by any stretch, but I know that some are quartz because they have a translucence about them. Yet, others are opaque.

The knife is what I call red flint. The majority are flint. I don't know what the black point is made of.

But I never have seen an ugly point...even my last photo...strange, but not ugly.

Maybe that leaf blower idea will make a real difference. I would have never thought of that.

Keep us posted on your hunting.

Your buddy,

aj

...will surely save the old back a few aches and pains.

The last point I found was in the very place where I have taken three tom turkeys with MY bow, in successive years. One day last season, I was looking for a lost arrow and there, right on top of the ground, not 2 inches from the base of a pine tree was the most beautiful point, just sittin' there starin' at me. I can't believe it took me three seasons to find it!

I need to train my eyes better. Once I found that point, I went to the creek which is no more than fifty feet from where I found the point. I scoured that creek bed up and down and found not a flake. I just figured the ole' boy musta lost one of HIS arrows in the same place, a long time ago.

It is a strange feeling to be able to relate to the past in such a direct way. <><

aj

Lots of memories there! Thanks for sharing!

Dave

...had been hunting Indian relics for over 50 years with his brother. They had literally THOUSANDS of points. When his brother died a few months back the divided the collection and his brother's family sold his part for well over a million bucks.

The other brother, who is now 72 said he would never sell his part, that his sons and grand sons had an interest in those things and it would benefit them all down the line.

I am so envious of those old guys. All these years they bought land in the river bottoms of the White River that they knew had artifacts. They'd till and sift to their heart's content.

Such is the life.

aj

n/t

n/t

...since that sister and brother of mine have been sneaking out w/o me. :lol:

I'll have to do somethin' about that. Have a really good day.

AJ