Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A feeling that you are being watched, a sense of danger.........................

Kelley (Texas)

Have you ever been somewhere where you sensed that you were being watched, sensed that something was not normal, where the hair on the back of your neck stood up?

Back in the early 1970's, shortly after Debbie and I were married, we bought a small ranch in Gonzales County, Texas. It was a small ranch by today's standards, just a tab over 400 acres, but it was ours and we were in hog heaven. The area was remote, closest neighbor four miles distance as a crow flies.

At the time, I had an old horse by the name of Jake...he was getting up there in years, but still had a few miles left in him. He was trail smart, and you could always depend on him. He was the perfect partner for a reckless, young cowboy...kept me out of trouble many times.

One morning, I noticed that some Ferrel hogs had torn up part of one of my coastal bermuda pastures, several big circles maybe fifty feet in diameter. I grabbed a 30-30 rifle and saddled up Jake, we were going to locate and get rid of them before they damaged any more pastures.

At the back of our property, I found broken fence...the hogs had entered my neighbors property and were headed north. I decided to continue looking for them on my neighbors ranch. I knew that Rudy would not mind my entering his place under these circumstances.

I rode about two miles and decided to take a break, drink some coffee from a thermos bottle I had in the saddle bag. We were on a ridge among a group of beautiful Live Oak Trees, an area that stood out like a sore thumb when compared to the surrounding brush. For some reason, a chill went up my back as I sat there drinking the coffee. Jake appeared to be restless, not like him to be like that. A strong breeze erupted which caused the trees to make a moaning sound. This was strange, and something was not normal...time to leave the area. I sensed that there was danger in this area, felt like I was being watched. I decided to call it for the day and headed home.

A few years later, Rudy died and we bought part of his ranch. The part that we bought included this spooky area with the beautiful Live Oak Trees on the ridge. Every time I visited that spot, the wind would erupt into a strong breeze and the trees would moan. Now folks, I assure you that it was not my imagination, this was a spooky and strange area of maybe an acre in size...sorta looked like an oasis out in the brush. For some reason, this spot drew me to it like a magnet will draw a nail out of the dirt floor of a barn.

Then one day, it happened. I had passed by the spooky site while checking the fence line. looking over my shoulder, I barely caught site of a man standing back into the thick part of the trees...I did a double take and he was gone. I turned my horse back and headed in that direction. The hair was standing up on the back of my neck, the horse was short stepping...danger! We entered the spooky area, but saw no one. You could see for a long distance and the man did not leave that spooky area...this was scary. I rode through the trees and did not find the man. I dismounted and smoked a cigarette, this was not normal, this place was just not normal. It seemed like something strange was always happening at this spot on the ranch.

Then I saw it...a slight depression in the ground surrounded by some scattered rocks. There by one of the Live Oak Trees was a grave, an unmarked grave.

The next day, I returned with some wire and fenced the immediate area of the grave...took most of the day. I can not explain it, but from that day forward, when I would visit that area, things were normal...no more strong breeze or moaning sounds from the trees. I can not explain any of this, and guess I will never know the story of the unmarked grave or who it was that I saw that day standing among the trees at that spooky spot. I would speculate that the person buried there possibly died a violent death because it is a lone grave in a remote area. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I think most of us have experienced that feeling at least once. There's an old cemetery near where I grew up that always gave me that feeling. There's only a few graves, the markers are rough cut stones and only a couple have names. I was told it was a slave graveyard from pre Civil War times, could be as the land it's on was a sizable plantation.

I always wonder who the people were, how they lived, what they were like. I will not disturb a grave site, will show respect for the site. It is common to come across an unmarked grave site on the ranches down here in South Texas, but the site in my story was one of the few that ever bothered me...it was just plain spooky.

I do question if I should have posted this story because it borders on being a ghost story, not what I assume is to be posted on this Forum. Thanks for reading the story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

i was looking to buy a pickup back in the mid 80's,in the evenings after work when the dealerships were closed or on a sunday night when no one was around i would hit dealerships all over north dallas or the suburbs just looking when no salesman were around to bug me.one night it was windy and the wind was whipping banners and whistling past the light poles,and i stopped to look at some fords,as i approached the middle of the lot i saw that a ranger pickups drivers door was open and the wind was kind of buffeting it back and forth a little bit.i thought i would go shut it so the door wouldn't get damaged,but the minute i started to walk towards it i felt goose bumps run up my back and i stopped.the thought never crossed my mind that someone might be back there stealing stuff until that happened.maybe the lord was looking out for me.

post it? I believe that almost any personal experience like that is interesting.Did you ever mention it to anyone before? I've had that feeling, detecting alone in wooded area's before,but you forget about it when you move on to another area.. As you know,if your Horse sensed it,time to giddy-up Cowboy! Great story of your experience. Keep-um coming! Besides,never heard Royal,or anyone else mention "Ghost stories not allowed." Anyone else? :lol:

And I have never mentioned the story to very many people...never figured folks would be interested. I must confess that I have always wondered what happened on that ridge, among the trees and who is buried in that unmarked grave. It was a very spooky experience. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I was an MP at Cherry Point and we used to drive all the back trails and two tracks on patrol. We were not required to but driving eight hours a day on that base could get dang boring!

Back in the boonies there were old home steads and a number of family graveyards. I rememeber seeing some of the vaults coming out of the ground but the odd things was, some were still tended, by someone. This was on base.

One of the MP's, in fact he was from Texas and very religous, swore he was driving back there one rainy night and saw a woman kneeling over a grave, crying. This was a long ways back in the boonies and Fred, you were stationed there and know how it was.

He stopped and called to her and asked if she needed help. She looked his way and disappeared. It spooked the crap out of him and you could not get him back there again for anything.

Thanks for a very thought provoking post Fred!!

and odd that the horse reacted as well! I found the story very interesting as i have never experienced anything like that.
Thank you for posting it!:thumbup:
Wayne

Never had anything like that happen to me. Why do you think there was no more problem after you fenced it? Could the 'owner' of the site, now claimed it as his?

Many thanks

Fair winds

M

I fenced the unmarked grave so that no one would bother it...man or animal. All that I can say is that this was not my imagination, and that it is just one of those things that have no normal explanation. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

by recognizing that gravesite, you probably put that spirit to rest! Some things are better left unexplained I think!

Dave

it was really a good one! I truly believe you, because of some experiences I have had! That was a good thing you did. I take it that you don't own that property now. I wonder if that special place and finally marked grave (because of you) is still there? :)

The Battle of New Market on the campus at VMI! I will try and find a photo! This is really interesting to me, too! :)

really interest me. As I read your story a second time I started to draw a picture in my mind about this area, a oak tree, a unmarked grave, the feeling of danger that came over you and Jake, I wonder if a man was hanged from this oak tree many years ago then buried in a unmarked grave.

Very interesting story Kelley, would love to know what happen at the oak tree, thanks for sharing.

General Ray

Buddy, you have a knack for keepin' a guy's interest.

The Twlight Zone could have used you, a few years ago.

Thanks for taking the time to post such a superb story. It put chills up MY spine when I read it.

aj

of these stories. Which of us really knows what is out there ? I've heard weird stuff from too many honorable people not to know that there are times when things like this do happen. Great story !!!