Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

" A dog is better than me, for she loves and does not judge"

Micheal_R

Staff member
Many of us have told our tales of our dogs, our best friends, who have been there for us through thick and thin. As many of you know, and a few have seen, Alice and I have 3, count 'em, 3 Jack Russell Terriers.: Terrier from the latin word, 'terra' meaning earth, or ground. And that is just what these little devils do best, is go to ground. Squirells, rats, packrats, marmots.... anything and everything that goes to ground is their turf.

Now we have the three dogs, as I said but the one that is 'mine' is Badger. When we retired from our feed store, Alice bought me Badger as a retirement gift; a cute little 7 week old bundle of fluff and love who latched on to me the instant I saw her. The little thief stole my heart. She had to stay with her momma until 9 weeks [this was the breeders rules... you come each day and get to know your new buddy] so it was 2 weeks after we settled on her that she came home to live. We had acreage in Victoria at that time and she settled in and made the house her home. She chased the racoons, rats, squirells.. anything to keep herself busy. When Victoria had its famous snow [4 feet in one night], I almost thought that we had lost her. She mst have smelled a rat or some such thing because she burrowed into that snow and was chasing this 'thing' for at least two hours. We could hear her through the snow but obviously, she was not in sight. Eventually, she emerged, tired, cold, wet but with a grim look of satisfaction on her face.

We let her have 2 litters of puppies and then decided that 13 children were enough.We kept one puppy from each litter and both have settled in and become our dogs. Nimby is definitely Alices' , Jester is both of ours and Badger is 'mine' A few years back, I had to go for some minor surgery. What was supposed to be 7 days turned into 10 days. From Badgers' point of view, I guess I just disappeared and that was just not good enough for her. So Alice, when she was visiting, asked for my t-shirt. I asked why and she told me that Badger was walking around the house and property carrying an old, used t-shirt in her mouth and on her back. So each day, I would wear a shirt, give it to Alice and she would give it to Badger. The must have placaded her since she stopped moping around. The 'odour' was fresh so Badger knew that I was around, even if I was not there with her at that time.

When I got home, she was there with me..... would not leave my side for anything and generally fretted over me.

Just a couple of weeks ago, I got taken to the hospital in the ambulance. Badger barely let the attendants into the house, what with her barking and protective behaviour, and when they were going to put me onto the gurney and take me out the door, it was a struggle to let them do their work. After I had gone, she plunked herself down by that door they took me out of, and would not leave. Alice tried to coax her away from the door..... no go. Any one who came to visit had to walk over her to get into the house. In her mind, if I went out that door, I have to come back in that door. Obviously when I returned, she latched onto me and would not let me out of her sight.

Even as I write this, she is at my feet. A truer friend you could not find. She overlooks my flaws, and believe me, I have many, and accepts me for who I am!!

Sunny skies

M

...I am a lttle partial to german sheps,I had 2 before one died in an accident and one died of old age .They stay in our hearts for sure no other pure love then that from dogs.Was going to say cats but I may be fibbing. Hope your all well,by the way John also, I found the coin posted at Stanley Park in Van. BC.Off the grass field near tree roots. :)

They are wonderful little dogs and sure are part of everything. It is amazing to me what little terrors they are when they see a critter but as gentil and lovable with us.

[attachment 13284 mikedog.jpg]

Old Badger sure watched over you and even though she moves much slower than the other dogs, around the house, if a critter shows up, she is a pup again. By golly she was the one with the stink on her when they took out that skunk!!

You deserve each other. I don't imagine there's much you wouldn't do to protect her either! Great story Mike!

"The only good cat is a stir fried cat" ":lol:

fair winds

M

n/t

n/t

n/t

She is the leader of the pack and when the bear was being chased, for a short while there, she was the leader. :)

Sunny skies, calm seas

M

most well behaved dogs I have ever encountered. But, they don't care what time it is, if they believe you and Alice and anyone in your household might be in danger, they let everyone know. They don't care that it may be two o'clock in the morning! :lol:

I will never forget the time I was playing with that ragdoll of Scooby Doo! All three of them grabbed on to it, and pulled different directions! Scooby's days were numbered for sure! They could almost between the three of them, pull me on the kitchen floor. I had to move onto the carpet to get any traction! :)

They are true blue to the two of you, but they also know they are well taken care of and a bit "spoiled" wouldn't you say? but not to the degree where they do what ever they want. I had fun in the mule with them riding along while we were doing chores, and just generally had fun with them all the time. At night, when we would watch a movie, which one would come sit in my lap to be petted? I know Badger was always on the couch with you!

Trudy is very protective, but is loyal to Scott more than anyone I think. She was mine, but I had to give her to him when I got her, because I was not allowed to keep her where I lived. However, if anyone has food, she is stuck to their side! :) Thanks for sharing, and it must be nice when Royal will post a photo for you and tells me to go to my CD! Hmmmmm..............how do you do that??? :lol:

However, the dogs love it. Alice goes to bed for her rest and all 3 jump up an sniggle in to keep her warm. Is that caring or what? :lol:

Nah... all 3 take their turns and go out for a mouse hunt daily. And we have another cougar in the area. And those 3 let us know when it is here. Nimby , I am certain, misses cuddling up on your lap.

"They say a dog is a mans best firnd.... but diamonds are a girls best friend" Something amiss here.

"They also say a dog is your best friend" I don't beleive it. How many best friends have you had neutered? :lol:

Take care

Sunny skies, calm seas

M

say, "they" say...............! :confused: Tell Alice I hope she is following doctors orders, and is being a good patient. Is she using the bell still?

Oh, by the way, where is the photo of that dolphin you promised????

All the dogs I ever had that were my BEST friends were only so because they were loyal and couldn't talk back! :) As far as the neutering goes, it's kind of like the parent who gives a spanking to their child and says "this is going to hurt me more than it will you", cause it's for their own good. We all know that hurts us worse!!!

We neuter our dogs because we care and also because we don't want them to go knock up all the neighbors dogs!!!! :lol:

n/t