Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A decent metal detector for around 100 dollars?

chuiy

Hey guys, I'm 13 and have recently taking a huge liking to treasure hunting and have read about 2 history books in the past week, whats that? 2000 + pages? any ways I took up a summer job this year reffereeing local soccer games and made 200 dollars doing so. And I was wondering whats a decent metal detector for around 100 dollars? I'm not to familiar with the terms so ill put it plain and simple, something that can detect about 5-6 inches deep and can discriminate certain properties ie. nickel form zinc etc. etc. and why you ask not spend my full 200 dollars? well I like to have a little 100 dollar or so leigh way to spend on events like dates or christmas. Thanks for reading :hot:

I have heard that the Tracker IV is a GREAT machine for the money. I think you could find one for $100 or less is you look around places like Craig's List and ebay etc.

I paid $139 for my Elite 2200 at Big 5 Sporting goods and it is a FANTASTIC machine. It has multiple tones, gives an estimate of the likely target and its dept and had lots of discrimination options and has a digital readout.

Mark
Elite 2200

You're dating at 13? What is this world coming to. Don't date any girl that looks alot like her mother, unless her mother is hot!!

You may want to talk to any local dealers and see if they have any used machines that were traded in on newer models. Also remember that you will need a digging tool, kneepads are handy (chicks dig guys wearing kneepads), and a couple sets of batteries to start out with. I would also recommend a nail apron. Next time you want a candy bar, buy the M & M mini's instead. Once emptied they will hold 54 quarters, so these are great for putting your finds in, while hunting. Get a couple of brighter colors like yellow or orange, in case you drop it in the grass and not realize it right away.

You will have money (your modern coins) coming in after you get started. You will also have money going out (batteries), the other equipment I mentioned should last awhile.

Mark is right about his machine. ( I can't believe I am agreeing with him after last weekend.) So don't be afraid be spend a few more dollars to get a better machine.

Take care and keep us posted. I really envy you, I started when I was 45.

AND GIRLS WILL ONLY GET YOU IN TROUBLE!!!!!!!!

"AND GIRLS WILL ONLY GET YOU IN TROUBLE!!!!!!!!"

Amen to that brother.

As Will Smith says "Girls of the world ain't nothing but trouble."

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Girls-Ain't-Nothing-But-Trouble-lyrics-Will-Smith/DA727378D2993A0248256BCD000702C0

Mark
Elite 2200

I bought my White's Classic II SL used and in great condition for $100...put another $20 into it to modify it for manual Ground Balance and Adjustable Threshold...Good used machines are out there, and sometimes very cheap...just have to be in the right place at the right time...
I would suggest a BH Tracker IV, BH Pioneer 101, garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Compadre, or one of the old White's Classics to start out on.

HH,

I bought a bounty hunter Quicksilver from The Bountyhunterstore.com for 119.00 shipping included AND a FREE PINPOINTER. They still had that sale going on when i checked today.The Quicksilver has three tones and four probable targets on the display.
If you want to know how well it works read my post in this forum-a 35 year old story comes to a wonderful end.

The best advice I can give you is this: do some research on the different models available and shop around... that, and don't be afraid to spend a little over $100. If you're interested in a new machine, there are several good machines in the $120- $150 range (i.e. garrett ace 150, tesoro compadre, and several bounty hunter models, such as the tracker IV, quicksilver, and lone star). Personally, I use a lonestar, and have found it to be quite a good detector for the money... I believe one can be had on amazon.com for $140. If you're in the market for a used machine, I'd take GoGoGopher's advice and check out the 'metal detector classifieds' forum. Recently, there have been a few beginner machines there for quite reasonable prices. Also, don't decide on a detector mainly by the reviews it gets...every detector gets a bad review, it just depends on personal preferences. I'll attach a couple links that might help. Good luck on your search, abcoin.

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/indexmain.php

http://metaldetectorreviews.net/

:garrett:well,i am not a garrett fan but so far "the ace 250" is tough to beat!!!!! for the money its the best machine out there.theres alot of them on the forums.

Hey I went on ebay looking at the metal detectors the ace 250 seemed a little over my price range but the 150 looked decent I also like the bounty hunters they seem to have 4 or 5 that have good reviews and work well for my price range, but I was on ebay and I found this used on... only 15 dollars here the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/Realistic-Discovery-2000-Metal-Detector-w-8-1-2-Coil_W0QQitemZ290341749206QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4399b781d6&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
ussually I try not to fal victim to scams but it looks a little abnged up and he says it works okay I know radioshack detectors arent looked up to often however I would be picking up treasure hunting as a hobby so 15 dollars would save alot, i figure the origional price of the detector was around 60 but since its a little banged up its 15, the seller has sold about 1k items and has a 99.4 percent thumbs up from buyers, does this sound reasonable? Im not looking to discover atlantis with a metal detecor, just a few pennys ;)

The first bid is 14.99. Bid on it if you want to. It looks just like my Wal-mart 202 does. They sold for around 200.00 new. I wouldn't bid over $50 for it. I'll sell you my old one for $50. But it is pretty wore out. I also have an Ace 250 that I got in a trade that I have no use for. It looks almost brand new. If you would like that I'm sure we good find a fair price for it.

The machine on ebay has several days left on the auction. See where it goes. Yes it is a good model, but how much use it has had is hard to say. If you could get it cheap, you could send it to First Texas to have it checked out, and repaired, they would probably do it for a reasonable price. When I bought mine in 2002, Radio Shack sold the same machine with different stickers and face plate. When I replaced my coil in 2004, the design was different. So I believe the machine on ebay is probably a 2003 or earlier model.

Keep us posted. Dave

okay =) and yeah if the price goes sky high ill definantly turn to you, because you seem reasonable and obviously know what your talking about, thanks for the advice. :starwars:

Hey everyone,

I am not a BH user but my buddy is. A few years back he got real sick. To get out of the house he got a tracker IV. Years later he is still using it even though he has tried other units. I have had a few machines, some newer some older, for the price I am sure you can pick up a used TIV. I prefer it to the ace250. The twiddly knobs are great.

I will mention that he does a great job finding coin with it and can usually tell what it is by the sound. If you adjust it right and use the modes properly it will do a terrific job of TID.

I have a Land Star I will sell you for $120.00 shipped...It will conme with the 8" AND the 4" coil. It just came back from the factory where they replaced the whole face of the machine and the DISC knob, put in new battery clips, and repolaced the battery cover. I just like my Whites better...PM me if interested...

HH,